Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #1

once again, more problems....

So it seems every time i take my camper out it develops another problem. I hate to complain about it because i honestly do like it, but everytime i take it on a trip it turns into a bigger piece of you know what. If you read my other post you know i have delamination on the back of the unit. The dealer is going to replace the whole back at no cost to me, so that's good news. i got back today from a 5 day trip to the Smokies with new problems now. Well, this one's not so new but re-occuring. Awhile back my Ac had went out. The fan would come on, but not the compressor. It was determined that it was the relay which was replaced and that seemed to fix it. Took it out on the next trip and it got cool one night so i went to turn the heat on, and it wouldnt work. Nothing. no fan, nothing. Didnt think much about it and figured i'd just have them look at it next time i brought it in. So i got home and plugged it in to clean it out and went to turn the AC on , and now that wouldnt work either. called the dealer and let them know and of course he said he's have to see it. Right. So , i had a hunch the thermostat might be bad. i bought a new digital one and put it in, and presto, the AC works. Great news. i didnt try the heat cause it was hot outside. Fast forward to this trip. first 3 days was a llittle warm so i had the AC on. worked great. cycled on and off with no problem. Well believe it or not it got down to 50 degrees on friday night in the smoky mountains so i got up to turn the heat on. Wanna guess??? it didnt work. Well, i had a space heater with me so i just plugged it in and was fine. Later in the day i get back and now it''s warmed up again. i go to turn the Ac on and nothing. no fan, no compressor, nothing. Luckily it was cool enough that i didnt have to cut my trip short but if it had been normal july weather there is no way i would have been able to stay.
So, it seems that there is a connection between turning the heat on and it not working that then messes up the Ac or the thermostat in some way. I hate to go buy another new thermostat again when the unit is going back to the dealer to have the back fiberglass replaced anyway.

I told the dealer today what it had done and he said he never heard of it but would look at it.

Any ideas from anyone???? maybe an electrician??

So here's the other problem that developed.. When i was packing up to come back, I put the little lock on the pocket doors between the bedroom and living room so they would not slide in and out while i was driving. i get home and the door on the left side of the entertainment center is hanging off the track and seems to have broken the roller that is attached to the door that it slides on.

Again, i hate to complain but EVERYTIME i use this thing is seems to have some problem. They say a boat is a big moneypit, but i'm beginning to believe that so are campers.

I've replaced all the faucets caused they leaked. Ac problems, now the door,
bad tv, bad cable connection behind the tv.
Again, I do like the floorplan of the trailer but i'm getting to the point of saying i'll never buy forest river again.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ends photography View Post
So it seems every time i take my camper out it develops another problem. I hate to complain about it because i honestly do like it, but everytime i take it on a trip it turns into a bigger piece of you know what. If you read my other post you know i have delamination on the back of the unit. The dealer is going to replace the whole back at no cost to me, so that's good news. i got back today from a 5 day trip to the Smokies with new problems now. Well, this one's not so new but recurring. Awhile back my Ac had went out. The fan would come on, but not the compressor. It was determined that it was the relay which was replaced and that seemed to fix it. Took it out on the next trip and it got cool one night so i went to turn the heat on, and it wouldn't work. Nothing. no fan, nothing. Didn'T think much about it and figured i'd just have them look at it next time i brought it in. So i got home and plugged it in to clean it out and went to turn the AC on , and now that wouldn't work either. called the dealer and let them know and of course he said he's have to see it. Right. So , i had a hunch the thermostat might be bad. i bought a new digital one and put it in, and presto, the AC works. Great news. i didnt try the heat cause it was hot outside. Fast forward to this trip. first 3 days was a little warm so i had the AC on. worked great. cycled on and off with no problem. Well believe it or not it got down to 50 degrees on friday night in the smoky mountains so i got up to turn the heat on. Wanna guess??? it didnt work. Well, i had a space heater with me so i just plugged it in and was fine. Later in the day i get back and now it''s warmed up again. i go to turn the Ac on and nothing. no fan, no compressor, nothing. Luckily it was cool enough that i didn't have to cut my trip short but if it had been normal july weather there is no way i would have been able to stay.
So, it seems that there is a connection between turning the heat on and it not working that then messes up the Ac or the thermostat in some way. I hate to go buy another new thermostat again when the unit is going back to the dealer to have the back fiberglass replaced anyway.

I told the dealer today what it had done and he said he never heard of it but would look at it.

Any ideas from anyone???? maybe an electrician??

So here's the other problem that developed.. When i was packing up to come back, I put the little lock on the pocket doors between the bedroom and living room so they would not slide in and out while i was driving. i get home and the door on the left side of the entertainment center is hanging off the track and seems to have broken the roller that is attached to the door that it slides on.

Again, i hate to complain but EVERYTIME i use this thing is seems to have some problem. They say a boat is a big money pit, but i'm beginning to believe that so are campers.

I've replaced all the faucets caused they leaked. Ac problems, now the door,
bad tv, bad cable connection behind the tv.
Again, I do like the floorplan of the trailer but i'm getting to the point of saying i'll never buy forest river again.

I fell your pain, I too have experienced one problem after another but mine started after the warranty was up. I have removed my camper from our seasonal site to take it to Ocean City MD For a week vacation. I removed it two weeks early because I am having problems with the slide out and I wanted to make sure there was enough time for the repairs in case parts had to be ordered. The slide out was out of adjustment, not only did it shift from right to left it had dropped down on one side, this had an effect on the interior side wall of the slide out....It had cracked. I dropped it off at the Dealers on Sunday and they called me back yesterday and said it was fix...No parts were needed. I started with delamination and was in a position to force Forest River to replace the camper with another brand new one, I felled like you do now, never buy another Forest River camper again. I have had to make most of the repairs myself because it is out of warranty. I have posted pic in the past of some of the problems like the cracked wall, delamination etc,etc. I spoke to an RV salesman this past weekend who was camping, he said that Forest River is coming out with a TT camper with duel slides, one across from the other like the 5th wheels have to double the width of the living area......I can't wait to see how the performance is on this one. I don't know about you but I think Forest River needs to practice Q.C.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote