Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

One has to wonder.

With all the discussions on tire blowouts, I witnessed two things this morning that makes me wonder....how many of these blowouts are..."Self Inflicted" ? I'm coming back from my kids place about 15 miles out of city at 5am CST...(morning goat feeding) and heading down the highway...posted 65mph and I see a vehicle approaching from the rear...quite rapidly. A small SUV passes on my left...to fast to make out model, but towing a dual axle popup. I was curious as how fast they were going, so I sped up to 80mph and they were still pulling away from me. I backed off to 65mph only to be passed by a large F350 with an XLR toyhauler traveling faster than the SUV with the popup. I've been towing Travel trailers for 33 years and I do not know of a single RV tire designed or rated for the speeds that these two were traveling at. You just have to wonder.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well, I believe some of it might be self inflicted.

I've followed many a folk who cut a corner short and rode up over the curb and didn't even realize it or maybe hit a pot hole that could have been avoided. Some folks don't seem to see more than 10 feet in front of their rigs and oblivious to what's behind. And like you said, I too have had many pass me doing 80+ MPH.

With that said, these inexpensive tires the factory uses are so poor though that one pot hole or one time running over a curb and they are toast. They just can't handle even the smallest of abuse.

In my case, I got a season and a half from my factory Castle Rocks and then they started coming unglued. Two of the four had noticeable bulges in the tread and another just looked funny.

Lucky for me I've kept an eagle eye on them and got them off before they exploded going down the road. They had always been inflated to the max PSI on the sidewall and I've used a TPMS since day one. On their last trip, nothing looked out of place as far as pressure or temp but they still failed. Date codes said they were exactly two years old.

I've replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance (built 2nd week of July, 17) and only one short trip so far.
We'll see how they do till the end of the season.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Well, I believe some of it might be self inflicted.

I've followed many a folk who cut a corner short and rode up over the curb and didn't even realize it or maybe hit a pot hole that could have been avoided. Some folks don't seem to see more than 10 feet in front of their rigs and oblivious to what's behind. And like you said, I too have had many pass me doing 80+ MPH.

With that said, these inexpensive tires the factory uses are so poor though that one pot hole or one time running over a curb and they are toast. They just can't handle even the smallest of abuse.

In my case, I got a season and a half from my factory Castle Rocks and then they started coming unglued. Two of the four had noticeable bulges in the tread and another just looked funny.

Lucky for me I've kept an eagle eye on them and got them off before they exploded going down the road. They had always been inflated to the max PSI on the sidewall and I've used a TPMS since day one. On their last trip, nothing looked out of place as far as pressure or temp but they still failed. Date codes said they were exactly two years old.

I've replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance (built 2nd week of July, 17) and only one short trip so far.
We'll see how they do till the end of the season.
Thanks, we look forward to reports on the Endurance once they've been around for a while.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

I know LT tires are a vast improvement in quality over ST tires. If there were 1% as many passenger/light truck failures on tires as there are in the RV world the government would shut them down. I think there is one deciding factor on RV vs SUV/LT truck tires and that is capacity. How many SUV drivers run their tires at 90+% weight or speed ratings. Ever watch races?? Tire failures? Yes, all the time. They spend boocoo money to keep those going around and they are a weak link. That being said...if we could engineer(maybe Goodyear has) a tire with better quality and rate them correctly matched to the RV(at least 25% cushion) then we will achieve success. Not to mention what 5picker said... ever watch someone drag a trailer through something you wouldn't walk though? Cut a corner and run over a culvert? Rub a curb? Run over a parking stop? Go too fast in an area with speed bumps? I think the main difference is capacity ratio. JMO(just my opinion)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

I knock on wood every year I've gone without a blowout. Never had to deal with it. Neighbor had a hwy blowout on his Montana fifth-wheel a couple years ago...you just don't realize how much damage it can cause.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I know LT tires are a vast improvement in quality over ST tires. If there were 1% as many passenger/light truck failures on tires as there are in the RV
Get back to me when you have data on tandem axle passenger/light trucks.

Apples and oranges are NOT the same.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Get back to me when you have data on tandem axle passenger/light trucks.

Apples and oranges are NOT the same.
Not sure why anyone would run LT tires on a trailer/fiver. Wrong design, need the sidewall flex of the ST. I do believe under inflation is a bigger issue than all the others.

I check tire pressure before every trip. Never had a blowout and two in my F350. - both were Michelins with only 25,000 miles on them.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

I am attaching a photo for your consideration. It is from my 2011 Cedar Creek Touring Edition. As you can see it is the reason for LT tires on a fiver....
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #9

Well that did not go as planned! Photo won't attach.
The sticker shows LT235/85R16/G inflate to 110 lbs.
I replaced 6 year old Goodyears with Sailuns in February this year. 14 ply sidewalks and tread. Have run 5000 miles to date with no problems. Happy so far.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

LT vs ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Well that did not go as planned! Photo won't attach.
The sticker shows LT235/85R16/G inflate to 110 lbs.
I replaced 6 year old Goodyears with Sailuns in February this year. 14 ply sidewalks and tread. Have run 5000 miles to date with no problems. Happy so far.
Travel safe
Goodyear rate those tires at 3748 lbs.
Carlisle, in a 12 ply (no load range designator) rates the same size at 3960 lbs.
Just sayin' . . .
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I know LT tires are a vast improvement in quality over ST tires. If there were 1% as many passenger/light truck failures on tires as there are in the RV world the government would shut them down. I think there is one deciding factor on RV vs SUV/LT truck tires and that is capacity. How many SUV drivers run their tires at 90+% weight or speed ratings. Ever watch races?? Tire failures? Yes, all the time. They spend boocoo money to keep those going around and they are a weak link. That being said...if we could engineer(maybe Goodyear has) a tire with better quality and rate them correctly matched to the RV(at least 25% cushion) then we will achieve success. Not to mention what 5picker said... ever watch someone drag a trailer through something you wouldn't walk though? Cut a corner and run over a culvert? Rub a curb? Run over a parking stop? Go too fast in an area with speed bumps? I think the main difference is capacity ratio. JMO(just my opinion)
I'm sorry but why should there a a 25% cushion on the rating? You should drive according to the rating and the tires that are matched to your rig/axles. Stupid is as stupid does.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
King of the Road

Well, might as well get in this dead horse race

Regardless of the ST vs LT argument, LT tires on a TT, 5ver or PUP that has been in an accident is, if noticed/discovered by an insurance adjuster, is cause for claim denial, regardless of who's at fault in the accident.

This applies to utility work trailers as well. You won't find many companies running trailers with LT tires for insurance purposes.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Not sure why anyone would run LT tires on a trailer/fiver. Wrong design, need the sidewall flex of the ST. I do believe under inflation is a bigger issue than all the others.

I check tire pressure before every trip. Never had a blowout and two in my F350. - both were Michelins with only 25,000 miles on them.
People install them because they have been through the ST failures. This is a much smaller forum than some and on those larger forums there are many many reports of ST failures. The LT switch that has been made by them has solved the failures they have had on ST tires. Of course one must make sure that the LT tire meets the load rating called for on their rig. That often calls for an increase in size.

My first rig had Goodyear Marathons made in China. Three failures in less that 2,000 miles. Then changed to, at that time, highly rated Denman ST tires. Two of the 4 had crowns because of broken belts. I then changed to 16" rims and LT tires. For the last 9 years and over 40,000 miles I have not had any failures. Some manufacturers are not shipping units with LT tires.

From the beginning of my Rving I check tire pressures and condition every morning when travelling. Every stop I check tires and have run with TPMS almost from the beginning. Never exceeded 65 MPH.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
Goodyear rate those tires at 3748 lbs.
Carlisle, in a 12 ply (no load range designator) rates the same size at 3960 lbs.
Just sayin' . . .
Same size Sailun rated at 4400#.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post

I'm not sure that argument is valid as some manufacturers ship LT tires on the rig from the factory. It's usually larger/higher dollar units, but it is done.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
From the beginning of my Rving I check tire pressures and condition every morning when travelling. Every stop I check tires and have run with TPMS almost from the beginning. Never exceeded 65 MPH.
This is probably the biggest reason you haven't had any failures. Remember the OP's original post was because people DO exceed 65 MPH. And probably don't do the same checks that you do.

Also, since you are running LT tires, which are rated for "normal" highway speeds, why not go 75MPH? Truck and tires both rated for that, shouldn't be a problem then.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #17

Insurance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Well, might as well get in this dead horse race

Regardless of the ST vs LT argument, LT tires on a TT, 5ver or PUP that has been in an accident is, if noticed/discovered by an insurance adjuster, is cause for claim denial, regardless of who's at fault in the accident.

This applies to utility work trailers as well. You won't find many companies running trailers with LT tires for insurance purposes.
X2. Most people are unaware of this, but ignorance is no excuse here. Insurance companies are always looking for ways to deny claims. I've got Akuret tires on my MiniLite and this is my third season and 20,000+ miles with them. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I only drive at 60mph, run max cold tire pressure (50psi) and use my TPMS. Have also got into the habit of looking under the trailer every fuel stop to check for bulges or delamination. I think that it's just that most RV & TT owners are not aware of their tire limitations and you know that was never discussed at the PDI.
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #18

Let me add a dog to this fight. Ever notice how many RVs, TTs, etc. you see hugging or over the right side line? Ever notice how many tire failures are right side? Throw in the now common "rumble strips" along the right edge (or left side if dual lane highway etc.). The things are massive collectors of road debri/hazards like nails. These strips are normally a series of depressions (around here anyway). Nails roll right into them and as they roll over the edge they land pointing up. Now you roll over that strip and bingo you picked up a nail. I've seen so many trailer/rv tires totally shredded by the time they notice or stop how can anyone really say what the cause was. The tire is in chunks all over the last couple of miles. Just some food for thought.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #19

IMHO is that most people don't realize that all the ST tires are rated for 65mph max speed.
If someone can find one that is rated higher, please let me know because I haven't found one.
Then they go down the highway at 70+ mph and the tires get hot and they BLOW.
On some of those little pop ups, the tires are rated for 45mph MAX, and they try to do 70 with them and wonder why they blow.
Take a good look at the tires you have and see what the speed rating is for them. You might be surprised.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
IMHO is that most people don't realize that all the ST tires are rated for 65mph max speed.
If someone can find one that is rated higher, please let me know because I haven't found one.
Then they go down the highway at 70+ mph and the tires get hot and they BLOW.
On some of those little pop ups, the tires are rated for 45mph MAX, and they try to do 70 with them and wonder why they blow.
Take a good look at the tires you have and see what the speed rating is for them. You might be surprised.
Whether it matters, and not that I plan to run this fast but the new Goodyear Endurance tires I just installed are speed rated for 87 MPH.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote