Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Oops

Went camping this weekend at Oleno State Park which is only 11 miles from the house. Reserved Friday and Saturday night. The Wife had to work until 3:30pm so I said I will go out and setup early and you can just come to the campground. So I get to the campground around 12:30-1:00 and proceed to back in the Camper into a fairly tight site. I am backing in and watching my driver's side mirror and all of a sudden I hear a rubbing sound on the right side of the Camper (see pic below). There was this big tree that just jumped out and attacked my Camper (offending tree is in the one in the pic). I have to replace the front right outside light assembly and rub out some wood stains but all and all not a lot of damage. Bad thing was The Wife wasn't there to blame it on (J/K). I have lived 11 miles from this park for 14 years and had never checked it out. It is a nice place and the Rangers where friendly. If you ever decide to camp there make sure you reserve in the Magnolia loop not the Dogwood loop especially if you have a decent sized rig. Magnolia is more for full sized rigs and is a lot closer to the Santa Fe River (take it from someone who has first hand experience ).

RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

So glad that you did not have more damage than that. I guess everything is a learning experience. Most of the time I take our tt to a campground, back in, set up and the wife comes after work. I have learned to park, get out...look overhead, etc. take note of any hazards that might jump out. We have scouted out most of the campgrounds we go to in advance with a camera etc. and know what spot we want. This year I went to a campground near our house....drove through an area then decided to go back..almost took out the wrong way sign when I made my left turn back into the camprgound. I also take note of the trees that have been scrubbed, the concrete curbs that have been run over, and take note, I don't want to do this. Good luck in the future.....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #3

I guess the fixture I broke is called a "Scare Light" looking around for replacements on the interwebs this am all I can find are Stainless Steel replacements. Does anyone know where I can find the white plastic ones if not I will probably have to replace both sides to make it look uniform (ie keep the Wife happy)?
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

You can try PPL (RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes). They are very good about having a very wide selection of stuff. Give 'em a try.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

and speaking of "that" - does everyone (except for me) know how tall their rig is ? I'm out this morning - measuring - and will keep the height in the back of my mind.....Bill

UPDATE : just measured - top of a/c unit to ground = 10' (actually 9' 11" but 10' is easier to remember - also AM radio antenna is higher but...who cares) ?
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
and speaking of "that" - does everyone (except for me) know how tall their rig is ? I'm out this morning - measuring - and will keep the height in the back of my mind.....Bill

UPDATE : just measured - top of a/c unit to ground = 10' (actually 9' 11" but 10' is easier to remember - also AM radio antenna is higher but...who cares) ?
I measured mine and posted it near the door of the trailer so everytime I pack the TT I'm reminded. Then I post the measurements in the truck before departing. It's not really tall enough to worry about hitting stuff like 5th wheels are, but it's a good reminder.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

I use dry erase markers to write pertinent info on the top of the window in the truck. When traveling new\unknown routes I have the height of the 5er written there as a reminder.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My camper specs. Show a height of 12'4"
I measured from the ground to the highest part of the roofline then got on the roof and measured from the roofline to the highest projection . 12' 4"
I did this while hooked up.
Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My camper specs. Show a height of 12'4"
I measured from the ground to the highest part of the roofline then got on the roof and measured from the roofline to the highest projection . 12' 4"
I did this while hooked up.
Turbs
Same here. 12'4". But I won't come near anything if it's less than 13'. Just call me paranoid!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote