Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #1

Oops - I thought I booked us a hook-up site

But, it's a "standard" site, which is boondocking. We will be camping at San Elijo State Beach campground for a few days. I just checked the site map. Oh boy! Well, the propane is ready, and I will fill the gas tank so we can run the generator for the slide, coffee maker, toaster and blow dryer, so we should survive! I guess now I will definitely be draining the water tank and adding new fresh water. Darn.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Site Team

as someone who's dry camped in California State Parks for 20 years, i'm used to not having hookups.

we have a Honda 2000i for recharging the batteries and running the microwave.
we also have 2 deep cycle batteries, a 15 gallon tote tank for gray water and a 6 gallon jug for FW.
and a 400w inverter to run the tv, dvd and charging electronic devices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

Wow, Dan you travel equipped! But, I'm not surprised being a retired firefighter. Our neighbor is a firefighter and their huge pop up trailer and his truck are completely equipped. I don't think I would have room to store all those in our storage bins. We'll probably be ok. I plan to drive us into Cardiff to explore, have lunch at an outdoor (dog friendly) cafe somewhere in the afternoons to keep my restless DH occupied. He is not exactly a happy camper for the whole day. But, he loves sightseeing, and the dogs are great car riders.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
fx2

You can walk to the Cardiff shopping center from the campground.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #5

always carry a percolator coffee pot for those times with you can't run the genie or hook up
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

I'll be dry camping next weekend with 3 friends sharing my camper. I've got (2) 90AH marine batteries, a 3.1kW Champion generator, 10 gallons of gas, 2 spare propane tanks, 55 gallons of fresh water and 30 gallons each grey and black capacity. I'll have to unhook to go empty waste and fill up on fresh water.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 AM   #7

So far doing fine boondocking. I turned on the generator yesterday morning around 8:00 to make coffee, and I was quickly informed that the rule is 10:00 am. He said we could finish making coffee, then turn it off. First time camping without electricity for us. Then, I hadn't moved the toad sticker from the MH windshield to the Jeep windshield, so when we reentered the campground after exploring I got that reminder. They were very nice about it though when I told the ranger it was our first timecamping with a toad. Still learning the ropes!

Having fun!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
So far doing fine boondocking. I turned on the generator yesterday morning around 8:00 to make coffee, and I was quickly informed that the rule is 10:00 am. He said we could finish making coffee, then turn it off. First time camping without electricity for us. Then, I hadn't moved the toad sticker from the MH windshield to the Jeep windshield, so when we reentered the campground after exploring I got that reminder. They were very nice about it though when I told the ranger it was our first timecamping with a toad. Still learning the ropes!

Having fun!
Get a glass percolator coffee pot for those times without electricity. The glass pot will keep you from over cooking the coffee or boiling it out on the stove. I got a 9 cup antique fire glass pyrex pot off ebay
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Get a glass percolator coffee pot for those times without electricity. The glass pot will keep you from over cooking the coffee or boiling it out on the stove. I got a 9 cup antique fire glass pyrex pot off ebay
Great idea, thank you I will look for one. We have several thrift stores nearby. I will check there.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Team

It's been a while since I did a drive through visit there but I thought the sites with hookups were spaced tighter together while the standard sites had a bit more room.

I really liked one of the standard sites on the end where you can easily just walk out to the beach. Feel free to post a couple of photos.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I use a french press. Each cup is made separately so no over strong or burnt coffee.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
But, it's a "standard" site, which is boondocking. We will be camping at San Elijo State Beach campground for a few days. I just checked the site map. Oh boy! Well, the propane is ready, and I will fill the gas tank so we can run the generator for the slide, coffee maker, toaster and blow dryer, so we should survive! I guess now I will definitely be draining the water tank and adding new fresh water. Darn.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Please don't forget to sanitize your fresh water tank and lines if the tank has been unused for drinking water for a while.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Please don't forget to sanitize your fresh water tank and lines if the tank has been unused for drinking water for a while.
Thanks! We still had 1/2 tank of water from our short September trip, and I added a little bleach to it before filling it up for this trip. We still don't drink it anyway. Just use the RV water for everything else besides drinking. I bring bottled water for us and the dogs to drink just to be safe.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #14

Something strange our last night at the campground Thursday. I heard scratching on the outside of the "house" door in the MH. No way was I going to open it! Next morning as I opened the door there were several little round turds. I think they may have been from a squirrel. They carry the plaegue! Of course I shook the carpet swuare that er have on our outside step. Yuck!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Something strange our last night at the campground Thursday. I heard scratching on the outside of the "house" door in the MH. No way was I going to open it! Next morning as I opened the door there were several little round turds. I think they may have been from a squirrel. They carry the plaegue! Of course I shook the carpet swuare that er have on our outside step. Yuck!
TMI,Yuck! Youroo!!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #16

Oops - I thought I booked us a hook-up site

Quote:

Dang. You can't eat squirrels now?

What are we gonna eat when the zombies come?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
City folks

We fear more from other humans than an animal!
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote