Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #1

Oops - I thought I booked us a hook-up site

But, it's a "standard" site, which is boondocking. We will be camping at San Elijo State Beach campground for a few days. I just checked the site map. Oh boy! Well, the propane is ready, and I will fill the gas tank so we can run the generator for the slide, coffee maker, toaster and blow dryer, so we should survive! I guess now I will definitely be draining the water tank and adding new fresh water. Darn.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

as someone who's dry camped in California State Parks for 20 years, i'm used to not having hookups.

we have a Honda 2000i for recharging the batteries and running the microwave.
we also have 2 deep cycle batteries, a 15 gallon tote tank for gray water and a 6 gallon jug for FW.
and a 400w inverter to run the tv, dvd and charging electronic devices.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

Wow, Dan you travel equipped! But, I'm not surprised being a retired firefighter. Our neighbor is a firefighter and their huge pop up trailer and his truck are completely equipped. I don't think I would have room to store all those in our storage bins. We'll probably be ok. I plan to drive us into Cardiff to explore, have lunch at an outdoor (dog friendly) cafe somewhere in the afternoons to keep my restless DH occupied. He is not exactly a happy camper for the whole day. But, he loves sightseeing, and the dogs are great car riders.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
fx2

You can walk to the Cardiff shopping center from the campground.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #5

always carry a percolator coffee pot for those times with you can't run the genie or hook up
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #6

I'll be dry camping next weekend with 3 friends sharing my camper. I've got (2) 90AH marine batteries, a 3.1kW Champion generator, 10 gallons of gas, 2 spare propane tanks, 55 gallons of fresh water and 30 gallons each grey and black capacity. I'll have to unhook to go empty waste and fill up on fresh water.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #7

So far doing fine boondocking. I turned on the generator yesterday morning around 8:00 to make coffee, and I was quickly informed that the rule is 10:00 am. He said we could finish making coffee, then turn it off. First time camping without electricity for us. Then, I hadn't moved the toad sticker from the MH windshield to the Jeep windshield, so when we reentered the campground after exploring I got that reminder. They were very nice about it though when I told the ranger it was our first timecamping with a toad. Still learning the ropes!

Having fun!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
So far doing fine boondocking. I turned on the generator yesterday morning around 8:00 to make coffee, and I was quickly informed that the rule is 10:00 am. He said we could finish making coffee, then turn it off. First time camping without electricity for us. Then, I hadn't moved the toad sticker from the MH windshield to the Jeep windshield, so when we reentered the campground after exploring I got that reminder. They were very nice about it though when I told the ranger it was our first timecamping with a toad. Still learning the ropes!

Having fun!
Get a glass percolator coffee pot for those times without electricity. The glass pot will keep you from over cooking the coffee or boiling it out on the stove. I got a 9 cup antique fire glass pyrex pot off ebay
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Get a glass percolator coffee pot for those times without electricity. The glass pot will keep you from over cooking the coffee or boiling it out on the stove. I got a 9 cup antique fire glass pyrex pot off ebay
Great idea, thank you I will look for one. We have several thrift stores nearby. I will check there.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Site Team

It's been a while since I did a drive through visit there but I thought the sites with hookups were spaced tighter together while the standard sites had a bit more room.

I really liked one of the standard sites on the end where you can easily just walk out to the beach. Feel free to post a couple of photos.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote