Old 05-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
opening trailer for season

i am a second season owner of a 28' salem tt had it winterized last yr, anything special need to b done for our first trip, do i need to unbypass water heater and how do i do that?

Jfmf527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
there are lots of variables to your question. If it was winterized like most people do then YES, you will need to open the cold water inlet and open the hot water output and close the bypass valve on the back of the water heater. If you have a filter, then you will need to drain the antifreeze from that and from the water lines in the trailer. Flush all the water lines with fresh water. Most people then sanitize the water lines by filling the water tank and adding bleach. If you trailer has a antifreeze pick up line, then you will need to put the pump valve back to the position so that it will draw from the tank. Run water from all outlets until you smell the bleach at each location, then let sit for 4-6 hours and flush all the lines again.
I would suggest a you tube search on dewinterizing, there are many videos available that will demonstrate how to complete the job.

Jay & Maria - Camp Dogs Jackson & Joplin
2015 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald
Hensley Arrow hitch
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Hi there

It sounds like you didn't do the winterize yourself... Our Salem we just do it in reverse, if you look at the bypass where the water heater is you should see 3 valves,or at least ours is, turn them the opposite if you look closely at them it will help you see how the bypass is done and will make sense....check the water pump, ours we added a by pass valve so we can pump antifreeze in u may have to turn this so it can now pull from freshwater, easy to figure out if you turn the pump on.
Not sure but you may have to re insert the anode. Rode back the water heater, we pull ours each year.

I will then fill up the freshwater and turn on the pump, let it pressurize and typically I let it sit there with the faucets all closed this way if it kicks i or if I hear water I know didn't do something but we never had an issue in 8 years and I'm in Michigan where. Some of our temps have been negative 20... Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
nothinken is offline   Reply With Quote