Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Talking Operating a Business while on the road

Just wondering if any one out there has ran a business or operated a business while being on the road, whether your a full timer or just gone for a particular amount of time?

Thanks, Steve

Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

I am sure lots will be chiming in here. This is an up and coming trend. The Internet has enabled many people to leave the office behind and run their business totally while on the road. The RV experience just makes it seem like being on vacation the whole time. It does not even seem like work.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Yes, my wife ran her business via internet and telephone while we were away for a month.

Telephone while I was driving, WiFi later for a little bit when we camped. Only for an hour or so depending, every other day?
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheng1 View Post
Just wondering if any one out there has ran a business or operated a business while being on the road, whether your a full timer or just gone for a particular amount of time?

Thanks, Steve
I don't have my own business but I am able to work 'on the road', especially now that I have a cellular amplifier

My hubbie and I are not full-timers but we try to get out as much as we can and although I don't like having to work while 'camping', it sure beats having to work in an office
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We do have our own business and at times it's stressful. Our business deals with live breathing animals, we own a dog boarding kennel. Many campers on this forum have dogs and most like their dogs as much if not more than their children.

Finding someone to work our kennel and have the same passion and desire to treat every animal as their own has been the reason I have run it alone with my wife for all but the last year and a half. We are very fortunate to have two great girls working for us. During the summer we have one that is in her fourth year at Arizona State and then will be heading off to Ohio State for vet school and our other employee who works year-round and will be graduating this May with a Masters in social work.

Both are very capable of running the kennel without incident, but while we're on the road I still worry. It's my 20+ years of building a reputation that's at stake.
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I work from home full time. When we go RV'ing, I work from the camper full time more times than not. I've found that I sort of can work while we're driving, but sunglare and heat (from my laptop) at the 2 biggest problems. The kids are pretty good about being quiet while I'm conference calls.

In the camper, the biggest challenge is not having a dedicated workspace. In the morning, I get up before my wife so I'll work at the dinette (or out on a picnic table unless it's ungoshly hot). Then when the kids get moving, so does she and I move up to the bedroom. This past couple of years, I haven't had a good setup for up there- I use a TV tray table and it's fairly uncomfortable- too low and just not what I'm after. Plus, I can only use a single monitor (I usually run 2- you'd be amazed at how productive that is).

We have talked about taking the kids out of school full-time for a year and for me to work a 4-day work week. The working space is the biggest challenge to that. I've actually kicked around pulling a small trailer with our car. Something 8x10 or so with flip-down tables for the walls and an A/C unit on top. We could even carry a golf cart in it (vs. my wild idea of carrying one on top of the truck!). But, I don't know how campgrounds would look at me with 2 trailers and 2 vehicles on one site and the extra electricity I'd be using.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Yep. I work when there is cell service. I have my own business and there is good and bad. I have unlimited data and a cell booster with an external antenna which only takes a few minutes to set up. I set up the phone for WiFi hotspot and i'm golden.

My cell phone gets email so I respond when I have to. I have had several calls when I am fishing. I beats being in the office even if it is at home. Nobody knows or cares where I am as long as I provide the service or information they require.

The funny thing is that even if you get bad voice reception emails get through although slowly and sending is a bit painful but with unlimited data I don't really care.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We have talked about taking the kids out of school full-time for a year and for me to work a 4-day work week. The working space is the biggest challenge to that. I've actually kicked around pulling a small trailer with our car. Something 8x10 or so with flip-down tables for the walls and an A/C unit on top. We could even carry a golf cart in it (vs. my wild idea of carrying one on top of the truck!). But, I don't know how campgrounds would look at me with 2 trailers and 2 vehicles on one site and the extra electricity I'd be using.

When this same idea was running through my head, my research came up with this:

I figured one bunkhouse for the kids, the other gets the bunks ripped out and turned into an office.

Might still do it one day, when the finances allow. That day's just not today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

DW and i have our own business and kept it running, answering email and getting items shipped while we spent 2 months on the road coming and going to Alaska. Very hard at time as most of Alaska does not have cell service and very spotty for WI-FI, Even with a booster it did not help much, We will have Sat phone and Sat internet next time. Planing on 3 months next time,
Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
When this same idea was running through my head, my research came up with this:

I figured one bunkhouse for the kids, the other gets the bunks ripped out and turned into an office.

Might still do it one day, when the finances allow. That day's just not today.

That's funny because I literally mentioned that idea last night, "we could just build a wall down the center of the bunkhouse- the kids on one side, me on the other".

But! We have the hassle with needing to accommodate my in-laws. It's always something.