Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Opinions on options about my rims.

Not that I will get ANY here! LoL

so we love our artic wolf but we are 8 months into owning it and have two separate incidents of a rim failure. One in may (that was also when we lost a tire on a different rim). The other just this past month when returning from Goshen. Both have been due to manufacture defects. Welds were burned through and pin holes were left into the steel rims. So 50% of the rims have been defective.. Makes me worried about the other two!

Contacted fr the first one, washed their hands, second one they washed their hands until we called the product manager of artic wolf. He put us in touch with a warranty person. We are left with two options, let lions head replace the rims at lions heads cost with the same (possibly crappy) rims or fr will discount us the purchase of the rims they now use (aluminum) for $300 plus 150 shipping..

I appreciate their help but I feel that we should not be out 450$ to fix an obvious issue with a pretty important piece of our trailer. I guess I want to get an unbiased, unemotional opinion of all this.

I appreciate the "good will" by fr but it is at the tune of my wallet.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #2

Since Lionshead I believe supplies all of the FR lineup with rims, they probably go through hundreds if not thousands per month... you may have gotten into a bad batch, but unless you want to get into the aluminum rims at an added cost, then let them get replaced and check them out before install...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Yes the replacement rims fr will sell me will be lions head aluminum rims.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Lions head did step up pretty fast with the first failure. Were given all the rim info and pics. Sent us two rims to replace the one.. In 15" 5 lug... I need a 6 lug. Now they are unresponsive to the first rim and so far the second but it has only been about a week and a half for rim two.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

that's a real problem...

They might be skeptical about getting two bad rims from one customer, but I would give them a call/email and another few days before calling FR again and posting your results here...

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
that's a real problem...

They might be skeptical about getting two bad rims from one customer, but I would give them a call/email and another few days before calling FR again and posting your results here...

good luck
I'd agree but pictures don't lie the bad welds can be seen on the inside of the rim. I know nothing about it but the trailer shop I use locally makes trailers so one of the welders schooled me. Said their automatic welders were dirty and made the welds with dirt/ junk in them.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
Scoundrel

When I upgraded the tires on my Micro-Lite to a higher load range I also took off the factory wheels and pruchased steel wheels from etrailer.

Good luck with whatever solution you choose.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

How expensive are the aluminum rims if you purchase them locally? If not much over $450 then take the free steel rims and give them a try. If they don't work then buy the aluminum. However if $450 is a great price then go for that if you like them.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
How expensive are the aluminum rims if you purchase them locally? If not much over $450 then take the free steel rims and give them a try. If they don't work then buy the aluminum. However if $450 is a great price then go for that if you like them.
I can buy the same rims, all four full price, for $400. Their 450 is for two rims full price and discounted the other two since I am two rims down from failures.

We may just end up with steel rim replacements that never make it to the trailer and end up on Craigslist.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #10

so, essentially FR is costing you $450 for the new rims.

Here is a better deal. Etrailer.com. a 16x7 6 bolt wheel for $98. This is $58 less than FR offer because they will come with free shipping, and NOT be Lion's Head wheels:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...T/AM22657.html

PS, if your rims are 15" they would be a little less, $89 per wheel.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
so, essentially FR is costing you $450 for the new rims.

Here is a better deal. Etrailer.com. a 16x7 6 bolt wheel for $98. This is $58 less than FR offer because they will come with free shipping, and NOT be Lion's Head wheels:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...T/AM22657.html

PS, if your rims are 15" they would be a little less, $89 per wheel.
Something like DouglasReid said is exactly what I'd do. Go with a nice aluminum wheel and be done with it for good. If FR or lions head will send you anything, craigslist will help re-coop your costs.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote