Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #1

Opinions on outside barbecue

We just purchased a new Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604Ws. I was just wondering if the included Barbecues have improved any. We had a 2006 Trailcruiser and the included Rvacue was useless.
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

Our 2013 Surveyor Sport came with an Outback RVQ. Seems to work pretty good. Doesn't get quite as hot as the BBQ at the house, but still does a good job, just takes a bit longer.

A fellow we know is going to drill out the orface to up the BTU's for us.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

We use the RVQII grill that came with our TT. Not the fastest mode of outdoor grilling but so far I haven't incinerated the food. We like that it is low pressure, a large grill plate and a flat griddle surface. It is also so easy to keep clean. Used ours all last year and it still looks brand new. I'm actually planning on keeping it when we switch the TT for a 5er.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

We had one with our Antigua Hybrid. I used it frequently, but honestly never liked it. I thought the occasional flare up was a hazard to my camper. The other issue I had and maybe I'm wrong, I know how greasy the cabinets over my stove get, I really don't want hat grease on my awning. Now having said that we just purchased a new 5th wheel and it came with one, I may give it a try and see if they are ant better or easier to clean, but the best grill I've found so far is my lil webber.
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

That grease not hat grease. I really should proof read better!
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
A fellow we know is going to drill out the orface to up the BTU's for us.
Just be careful the extra BTUs don't melt the side of your trailer!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #7

I had a RVQ for a number of years and then upgraded to a bit bigger one. Never had a problem until last year when it quit working. I bought a little Weber and am happy with it although I had to do some mods to use my outside propane hook up. QAfter getting home I found that the regulator on the RVQ went bad. I now have it as a spare with a new regulator on it, that I had. With the RVQ hooked up to the side of the TH I never found any grease on my awning. The rack that it sits on can be moved to a table and used that way. I did it with the 5er we have now.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Weber Smokey Joe! Charcoal is for cooking! Gas is what you get after eating!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
phat phrog stunt crew

Small weber kettle grill. Perfect siize for cooking and doesn't take up much space. I want to take my electric smoker this year too. Mmmm brisket.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I had a RVQ for a number of years and then upgraded to a bit bigger one. Never had a problem until last year when it quit working. I bought a little Weber and am happy with it although I had to do some mods to use my outside propane hook up. QAfter getting home I found that the regulator on the RVQ went bad. I now have it as a spare with a new regulator on it, that I had. With the RVQ hooked up to the side of the TH I never found any grease on my awning. The rack that it sits on can be moved to a table and used that way. I did it with the 5er we have now.

I've noticed the rack can sit on a table, but the hose is only like 2'. No way it'll reach a table.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
NELA

We've never used the grill that came with either of our RVs; the V-Lite or the 5er.

We bought this;

Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Tru-Infrared Portable Grill

along with this:

Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Carry-All - Model 12401735

We LOVE it! Absolutely *no* flares. Makes beautiful grill marks too if that's important to ya. (shrug)

Just pack it into that clamshell case and it's like carrying a duffel bag, and packs like a duffel bag too.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #12

Ours works fine, but we don't use it very often. And, since you're not supposed to cook under the awning, we set ours on a picnic table. We purchased a gas line extension at a farm store, and it works like a charm.

Most of the time, though, it's dutch oven cooking over coals, or a Weber grill and charcoal.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

We didn't have a great experience with the bbq grill that came with our Forest River. We drove up to the Yukon before we got it out and the welds on the grill had came apart and by the end of the trip, the gas connector had pooped out. The company stood behind it and replaced all the defective parts. We now have a "propane tree" that we put on one of the tanks and hook up a Weber Q grill and a Coleman propane stove. The Weber grill came with a small collapsable table and we have a Cabelas kitchen for the Coleman stove. On top of the "tree" we can mount a propane lamp and cook in the dark. We enjoy cooking and somethings a large 3 burner CampChef stove comes along.
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

I didn't have good luck with the one that came with last camper. So when we got our Windjammer the first thing I did was give it away and bought a Weber Q.
I use a Weber charcoal at home and the Q while camping. Love charcoal but love the ease of the Q while camping.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #15

Real BBQ is cooked over wood or charcoal, Just Sayin'!! We use a weber kettle of a weber smokey mountain. I do like the weber gasser at home for fast after work type stuff though.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
phat phrog stunt crew

Charcoal at the camground, gas at home. Food just seems to taste better over charcoal. Even bacon and eggs
Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Just be careful the extra BTUs don't melt the side of your trailer!!
No problem there, the RVQ is free standing and the hose that came with it is quite long so won't be close to the trailer.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #18

I purchased a new Weber Q 220 last year and ran it on the small green bottles of LP. The grill cooked great, got up to temp quick. My only issue was around cleaning it. It would never get hot enough, like our home Weber grill, to clean itself. We turn the home grill on nuke (700+) for ten minutes after cooking. All that's left is a little ash. Quick brush and good to go for the next time.

The Weber Q was always a project to clean when we got home. Put the grate on the home grill and cooked off the baked on goodness. Pressure washed the rest.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
I purchased a new Weber Q 220 last year and ran it on the small green bottles of LP. The grill cooked great, got up to temp quick. My only issue was around cleaning it. It would never get hot enough, like our home Weber grill, to clean itself. We turn the home grill on nuke (700+) for ten minutes after cooking. All that's left is a little ash. Quick brush and good to go for the next time.

The Weber Q was always a project to clean when we got home. Put the grate on the home grill and cooked off the baked on goodness. Pressure washed the rest.

We just toss the grills (RVQ or home) in the oven and run a self clean cycle about once a year. Other than that it gets a hit with the brush at the end of grilling to nock off any residue and again when heated up the next time.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #20

Traeger Jr. wood pellet grill. No messing around with dirty charcoal plus the added flavor you will never get from gas. The pellets come in many different flavors, mesquite, hickory, maple, alder and many more. With a pellet grill flare up and dried out meats are a thing of the past. I've cooked pizza on mine and also bacon...I wouldn't try bacon on a gas grill unless the fire department is just around the corner. If you think a wood pellet grill isn't for you then I suggest you never eat on one if the chance comes up. You will set your gas grill to curb if you do.....
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote