Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Order new trailer but questions on some options

We are about to order a 2017 toy hauler but a few questions regarding the additional optional equipment.

Are these worth the extra money:
  • Sway Command Sway Control
  • MaxxAir Power Roof Vent
  • Extreme weather package

From what I could google, the sway command is some kind of onboard electronic break controller that would some how control sway by applying brakes automatically. Does anyone have experience with this?

Is the maxxair just a glorified vent fan? Like the ones found in the bathroom? We have a choice of installing one in the galley, garage, or bedroom. I'm thinking if we did one, it would be in the galley so I could vent out my bad cooking. Is this worth the extra $$$ or does opening a window do just fine.

The extreme weather package states its dual pane windows and 12V heated tanks. We want to extend our camping season from early spring to late fall. We wouldn't want to camp below freezing so is this package overkill?

Help this newbie!
Toneaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #2

In bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneaero View Post
We are about to order a 2017 toy hauler but a few questions regarding the additional optional equipment.

Are these worth the extra money:
  • Sway Command Sway Control
Waste of money, some manufacturers stopped even offering it due to numerous problems. Get a good hitch instead.
  • MaxxAir Power Roof Vent
Yes
  • Extreme weather package
IMO NO........its a sheet of foil under the floor, and some 12 volt pads on the tanks which will not stop any exposed water lines from freezing. If you're boondocking they'll run your battery down in hours. Even the largest trailers only have a sidewall R value of 11, most are 7, so what good does dual pane windows actually do? They cut down on condensation. If you're in the right conditions for that your walls are also going to have condensation regardless. I'd pass on it. Take the money and save it for LPG.

From what I could google, the sway command is some kind of onboard electronic break controller that would some how control sway by applying brakes automatically. Does anyone have experience with this?

Is the maxxair just a glorified vent fan? Like the ones found in the bathroom? We have a choice of installing one in the galley, garage, or bedroom. I'm thinking if we did one, it would be in the galley so I could vent out my bad cooking. Is this worth the extra $$$ or does opening a window do just fine.

The extreme weather package states its dual pane windows and 12V heated tanks. We want to extend our camping season from early spring to late fall. We wouldn't want to camp below freezing so is this package overkill?

Help this newbie!
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

-I couldn't say on the sway, I've only had 5ers.

-If you dont already have a power fan in that vent, might as well get it.

-Extreme weather package with dual pane windows is a must have. This will help with summer heat and condensation. Even if you never use in cold weather, it makes a huge difference in hot weather. If you have any slides, get slide out awnings too, that will help with heat and preventing leaks around the slide.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

I have a polar package, it is much more than Windows and heated tanks. It also includes more insulation in floor and ceiling, a bigger furnance and some things. True the walls are still paper thin and in the summer ours sweat like crazy on the outside, due to our cold AC. The dual panes have not had any condensation in the winter though. In the end idk how much it all helps but it doesn't hurt either. We chose a polar package and would do it again.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

I suggest you get any options you want up front. I have a trailer on order and got everything I wanted installed... except EMS(I already have one). The "get around to it" list seems to never get done. Most importantly... if it's already on there...I don't have to splain the UPS/Amazon packages. Good thinking huh?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Our rig comes stock with only 1 wimpy bath fan/vent. When we ordered our rig we had the factory add 2 more of the same wimpy bath/vents. 1 in the front bedroom and one over the rear garage area this way we can have 1 push and 1 pull the air for a total of 3 powered vents.

One of the 1st things I did when it came home was replace the wimpy bath/vent with the Maxxfan Deluxe (not just the Maxxfan) and we LOVE them. The Deluxe has a remote thermostat/controller. It can run from 10% - 100% in forward or reverse. You can set to run to a specific temp. You can run it with the vent closed and it does an acceptably OK job at pretending to be a ceiling fan. You can run the Deluxe in the rain without getting the inside of your rig wet ... we have done this and it works well. When not open, they look like "normal" vents from the outside (no giant vent covers to install). With both fans running 100% and pulling air out, so much air is moving that we have one of the doors open.

I'm sorry if I sound like a commercial but we really like them and I'll be adding the 3rd one in the bathroom next year ... once the new budget (to blow on the camper) gets approved by the boss!

Note: As far as I know, Maxxair and Maxxfan are the same. At least on the consumer/retail side, don't know about the commercial side.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

Maxxfans came installed in our MH in the bathroom and between "kitchen" and dinette. They work great at pulling out air.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer