Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Always Learning

Ordered a Dashcam

Been wanting one for a while, finally went nuts and ordered this “Vantrue X4 UHD 4K” dashcam:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-3840x...dp/B07NVNSJS6/

My real want for it is to be able to record some of the prettier drives we’ve had: Pikes Peak, Avenue of the Giants, Tennessee state park in leaf peeping season.

But of course, I also want it for the a-hole drivers out there and hope to never need it for that.

Also ordered the hard-wire kit and GPS module. I’m all ears if anyone has tips/instructions for hard-wiring something like this.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #2

I ordered a usb plug with the built in voltage thingy and wired it into the myriad of wiring under the cover in front of the rear view mirror. Only thing hanging out is the female usb plug. Am in Colorado Springs now. Been here for an unexpected week after an exhaust fire. I like Pikes Peak from ground level. Not a fan of Colorado's lack of guard rails.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
Always Learning

Exhaust fire? Truck? Camper? Other?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 AM   #4

Guess that was a little vague. Bad computer code in the truck kept dumping diesel fuel into the exhaust after a particular filter clean causing a jet like 8 foot flame out of the exhaust on the truck. Lit up about a quarter mile of interstate grass South of Denver with fire trucks and the whole drama. Got the truck back today with promises all is good. Working on a plan to get the trailer off the truck fast to Move the truck away in case of a similar situation. Ford was fantastic, but I think they figured they dodged a bullet. It was a software update missed over 4 service appointments
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
Guess that was a little vague. Bad computer code in the truck kept dumping diesel fuel into the exhaust after a particular filter clean causing a jet like 8 foot flame out of the exhaust on the truck. Lit up about a quarter mile of interstate grass South of Denver with fire trucks and the whole drama. Got the truck back today with promises all is good. Working on a plan to get the trailer off the truck fast to Move the truck away in case of a similar situation. Ford was fantastic, but I think they figured they dodged a bullet. It was a software update missed over 4 service appointments
Holly crap! That's intense!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Wow! I bet that was quite a sight. Glad to hear everything is alright.

Good call on the dashcam. I bought a new Android head unit with a Dashcam too. Camera mounts behind the rearview mirror.

These idiots around Atlanta are something else.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Look for a "Customer Access Wire" under the dash. Sounds like you have a Ford and I thought that was one of the things that has carried on between the model years.

Mine (I have an '07) was a blue wire under the dash in the middle. It was just cut flush and wasn't taped off or marked in any way. I had to stand on my head practically to find it.

If I remember correctly, I also had to put a fuse in to turn it on. The fuse location was indicated on the fuse panel diagram in the owners manual.

It's switched with the truck so that's really nice.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Look for a "Customer Access Wire" under the dash. Sounds like you have a Ford and I thought that was one of the things that has carried on between the model years.

It’s a 2018 Ram. But I’ll look for a similar concept.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It’s a 2018 Ram. But I’ll look for a similar concept.
Sorry. My brain got the posts mixed up. The other poster mentioned Ford.

I bet you have something similar.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Been wanting one for a while, finally went nuts and ordered this “Vantrue X4 UHD 4K” dashcam:

My real want for it is to be able to record some of the prettier drives we’ve had: Pikes Peak, Avenue of the Giants, Tennessee state park in leaf peeping season.

But of course, I also want it for the a-hole drivers out there and hope to never need it for that.

Also ordered the hard-wire kit and GPS module. I’m all ears if anyone has tips/instructions for hard-wiring something like this.
That's my primary reason for wanting a dash cam too but I've not found one that will record to a Hard Drive rather than SD Card with limited capacity.

"Terabyte" USB HD's are plentiful and very affordable now so I'm looking for a camera that's on when the ignition is on and will record directly to the HD without setting me back a "house payment"

Recently bought a Nikkon Coolpix which has remote control capabilities from my smart phone. Perhaps a Dash Mount, power from my USB charging port, and connection to HD with USB cable will give me what I'm looking for.

I don't have an issue with hours and hours of "scenery" as I can edit out boring parts and turn the rest into a nice "movie".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's my primary reason for wanting a dash cam too but I've not found one that will record to a Hard Drive rather than SD Card with limited capacity.

"Terabyte" USB HD's are plentiful and very affordable now so I'm looking for a camera that's on when the ignition is on and will record directly to the HD without setting me back a "house payment"

Recently bought a Nikkon Coolpix which has remote control capabilities from my smart phone. Perhaps a Dash Mount, power from my USB charging port, and connection to HD with USB cable will give me what I'm looking for.

I don't have an issue with hours and hours of "scenery" as I can edit out boring parts and turn the rest into a nice "movie".
I'll have to try mine out tonight with an external hard drive. Is there an appetite to replace your entire head unit? They can be made to work with your existing steering wheel controls.

I just have a memory stick connected to my head unit right now. I would think a USB hard drive would work too but I'll need to check.

I think I paid $259.00
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #12

Mine has a Bluetooth function and an app to download film sequences. You can start and stop live recording copy or take individual snapshots with your phone. I put a huge card in it an believe I get 32 hours of video before it loops. I could be wrong on the number of hours, and obviously, the high def would decrease that. I was amazed all it would do with how little I paid for it.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I ran my power wire under the windshield trim and “A Post” to get it below the dash. My fuse block is behind the kick panel on the passenger side. I wired it to a fuse circuit that was ignition controlled (key on, camera on/key off, camera off). Didn’t wire it that way at first and had 12 hrs of my garage door![emoji15]

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
Site Team

Doug, how can you just sit there and obfuscate the real reason you want this?

We read your other thread about the one vehicle and the teenage daughter with her new learner's permit.

Do you really think you are going to fool her with this thread? [emoji3]

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #15

Be careful where you park, thieves are efficient at popping windows and stealing contents, especially visible tech like a dash cam. You may want to remove it in certain areas.
A few yrs ago, I bought a cheap $20 dash cam from Wally World. It was crap and a reminder you get what you pay for. Thanks for the review on this one.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #16

With some of the drivers today, a dash cam is becoming more and more valuable. Way too many idiots out there anymore. Everyday to and from work, I see several.

WM...what Doug needs is the function on my new Colorado..."Teen Mode" it tracks everything they do with the truck..."Speed Limit" for one. I haven't tried it out...my youngest is 30 now, but I'm interested as to what it all covers.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
I ran my power wire under the windshield trim and “A Post” to get it below the dash. My fuse block is behind the kick panel on the passenger side. I wired it to a fuse circuit that was ignition controlled (key on, camera on/key off, camera off). Didn’t wire it that way at first and had 12 hrs of my garage door![emoji15]

Bob
I had an hour of the inside of my pocket from my phone once.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:

I like the idea of hardwiring. I bought a Tosguard dashcam early last year and found routing the power wasn't an issue but finding a USB port for charging was. Using my lighter plugs on the dash with USB adapters makes it look like an octopus. I have my Garmin GPS using one plug and the other has the DW's iPad and iPhone so there was no place to plug in. I ended up putting it in my truck instead. After sitting in the sun thru the spring and summer heat waves, the 3M double stick tape that it came with didn't hold and it keeps dropping. I have replaced the tape but it's still an issue. Mine records sound so every conversation we have driving is recorded. But I think they are great to have and hope I never have to rely on the video of an incident. Yours is costing 4x as much as mine and should perform much better especially with the Lithium battery and a capacitor. Good luck!
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Doug, how can you just sit there and obfuscate the real reason you want this?

We read your other thread about the one vehicle and the teenage daughter with her new learner's permit.

Do you really think you are going to fool her with this thread? [emoji3]

LOL! I just took her for her first legal drive thru a neighborhood tonight. I remember my Momma yelling at me while I learned to drive.

It’ll be entertaining, if nothing else!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I like the idea of hardwiring. I bought a Tosguard dashcam early last year and found routing the power wasn't an issue but finding a USB port for charging was. Using my lighter plugs on the dash with USB adapters makes it look like an octopus. I have my Garmin GPS using one plug and the other has the DW's iPad and iPhone so there was no place to plug in. I ended up putting it in my truck instead. After sitting in the sun thru the spring and summer heat waves, the 3M double stick tape that it came with didn't hold and it keeps dropping. I have replaced the tape but it's still an issue. Mine records sound so every conversation we have driving is recorded. But I think they are great to have and hope I never have to rely on the video of an incident. Yours is costing 4x as much as mine and should perform much better especially with the Lithium battery and a capacitor. Good luck!

My wife saw it today and shocker her head about the addition of another cord. I assured her that this one was going to be hard-wired (eventually!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5474.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	213338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5473.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	213337