Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Orthopedic seat cushion

Just completed a 4400 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and 4 other National Parks in Utah with lots of hiking. Any suggestions for a good driver seat cushion? I’ve had three back surgeries with little to no disk material left in my lower joints. Those expansion joint repairs on concrete highways are killing me.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Multi-Slacker

I use a gel seat pad from Amazon. I think they are all of a sameness in terms of effectiveness. Lumbar support is a different issue. The problem us room between you and the steering wheel. Get a gel cushion over memory foam over springy material.

I'm large enough that I cannot use a lumbar cushion even in the passenger's seat. Too thick of a seat cushion can make it difficult to get in the vehicle.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

Problem with most seat "cushions" is that they aren't designed to absorb impact but merely make your posterior more closely match the seat you are on so there aren't any pressure points. To really absorb impacts one needs to have a seat mounted on a good suspension.

Large trucks usually rely on air cylinders or bags built into the driver's seat to absorb the up/down forces.

To get the kind of relief the OP needs it's going to require a cusjion that has some spring in it while he's sitting on it. One type that comes to mind is an inflatable cushion with a good sweat absorbing cover. Adjust air pressure to desired level of "spring".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

Well an air ride seat is out of the question in our F-150 but a good gel seat may work. I tried a seat cushion once from a truck stop but it was way to firm. I’m only 145 soaking wet so I need something softer like the gel seat. You’re right about the pressure points. They can make or break you. Hope to get in to see the physical therapist in the next few days for some relief and maybe a recommendation or a good gel seat.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Just completed a 4400 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and 4 other National Parks in Utah with lots of hiking. Any suggestions for a good driver seat cushion? I’ve had three back surgeries with little to no disk material left in my lower joints. Those expansion joint repairs on concrete highways are killing me.
I used this company’s product for years when it mattered, and never regretted it. I bought one for my motorcycle riding adventures but I used them in the car and when I drove School buses.
I can only suggest this for your consideration.

https://airhawk.net/product-category...yday-cushions/

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I used this company’s product for years when it mattered, and never regretted it. I bought one for my motorcycle riding adventures but I used them in the car and when I drove School buses.

I can only suggest this for your consideration.

https://airhawk.net/product-category...yday-cushions/

Thanks will check it out.