Old 07-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Other Dealers Refusing to do Warranty Work

Hi!
Has anyone had difficulty in getting warranty work done by dealers if you didn't purchase the unit from them? Our unit is a brand new Chaparral by Forest River, less than two months old. We had to leave the Province in which we purchased the RV rather than wait who knows how long for a part. When we got home, the FR dealer refused to do the work. Another dealer advised there is an up-front charge to analyze the problem then contact FR to determine if the work is covered.
Any experience or advice to pass on??

ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Team

This is very common in the RV industry especially now that business is good and they can sell all they can get. Unlike the auto industry the manufacturers have much less control over dealers. This is also why many people recommend purchasing locally. Your best bet is to contact the division of FR that made your RV and ask them to authorize a local shop to perform the work. You may have to cover the cost up front and be reimbursed, but it will get the repair done.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #3

My local dealer, who is pretty big, will accept repair work on any RV. They don't care.

But..........they fixed a few of my issues, and others they tried several times and never knew how to fix. When those issues were finally fixed right, it was clear the Dealer's attempt was worthless.

Dealers are for buying units. That's all.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

This practice has been common, in the RV Industry, for around 2 decades.
It's an extremely common topic of discussion, on every RV forum on the Internet.
If you're still under warranty, contact FR for other dealers willing to do the warranty work.
Or use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Warranty Resolved

Thanks to Forest River and Western RV in Okotoks Alberta they came through for us! Western called the Factory and they both advised for us to get the work done. Prompt, excellent customer care!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

My advice is to NEVER go to any dealer for service, warranty or otherwise. Unless you have no other choice and can leave your rig there a few months.
We have used independent service only shops for many years, all over the country. Never had any problems with getting warranty work done. With one exception, they handled the pre-authorization and we didn't have to pay up front. Same experience as going to a dealer. The main difference was only waiting hours or days, as compared to weeks or months. The service has always been exceptional.
The only use I have for dealers is for the initial sale. That's the first and last time I will see them.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

Took our rig that we bought second hand back to the selling dealer to have the power steps repaired. After four months of bs about trying to get approval for warranty repair, we went to a non-dealer repair shop. While they would not handle the warranty claim for labor, they got us new steps free from the manufacturer and did some other small things in just a week. Needless to say, I am very suspicious of that dealer and not at all motivated to buy anything from them.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

I find that staying on the phone with Forest River and getting to the right person in the area you are asking about will get you farther than going to any dealer first. Plus it saves some time. The dealer can shuffle the deck so many times claiming they are waiting on FR to decide. You contact FR and get someone that is empowered to get the ball rolling it will happen faster. FR may not have total control over dealers, but they do have control over who gets shipped new RV's!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

I haven't had a "refusal" to do warranty work, but I did have one place (not a FR dealer) tell me that my coach would get a "low" priority if I had it serviced there. I asked them why, and they said they service the coaches they sold first, then bump everyone else. They gave me an estimated time for repair of 3 months. Needless to say I went somewhere else.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross0547 View Post
Hi!
Has anyone had difficulty in getting warranty work done by dealers if you didn't purchase the unit from them? Our unit is a brand new Chaparral by Forest River, less than two months old. We had to leave the Province in which we purchased the RV rather than wait who knows how long for a part. When we got home, the FR dealer refused to do the work. Another dealer advised there is an up-front charge to analyze the problem then contact FR to determine if the work is covered.
Any experience or advice to pass on??
Maybe just luck because we are not too far from our factory, but factory warranty rep gave me the name of a local independent, non dealer, repair shop that did our repair fixes in short order. Factory approval took a couple work days on the warranty stuff.

Try calling your factory.
2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Lacey's Spring, AL

the scenario happens more often than you think, or want to believe...as any business, whether RV service, or not, has the right to decide 'how' they do business, just like RV Parks which only cater to 'over 55' adults, or a chicken restaurant that doesn't sell tacos.

the reality is that there are many RV service centers and business who certainly welcome anyone from anywhere with any type of RV, some that only cater to 'trailers', as they don't want to deal with engines and those type of things, and even some RV centers who only cater to 'their' customers since there is so much business from their 'own' customers that they don't want to 'backlog' their business with others who didn't originally buy from them. It's reasonable.

If you go to the dealer you purchased from, and needed some serious work done, and done quickly, because, of course, after all, YOU bought from THEM, but then they told you it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they could get to it because, after all, YOU are not their 'only' customer, but all the ones who came before you get precedence over you in the 'first in, first out' business world. They arrived first, you get a backseat, even though 'they' did not buy from 'your' dealer, but expect 'your' dealer to do 'their' work ahead of YOU, the dealer's customer who actually purchased from them.....(whewwwww....that was a lot!, but it's true)...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #12

You said it!👍
evil irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Canadian Member

My dealer is currently working with me to have a much closer independent RV repair shop take care of problem I’m having with the entry door hinge binding. We’ll see how that goes.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #14

As others have stated, call FR or go to the independent repair shops, thatís how they make their money.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #15

I can not fault the dealers for not offering timely service if you did not purchase from them. I would do the same. If there service department is busy of course they are going to look after the customers who purchased from them, they want the return business.

In my travels I see ads all over for independent repair shops, mobile and storefront shops. I have used them and the service has been great. On one occasion I paid for what was warranty work then contacted Forest River and was reimbursed without question.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

Warranty Information received

Thanks so much everyone, I feel better already!!
Now another question: In my earlier Post, I mentioned we are Campground Hosts. In MN when the first frost appears, the Park turns off the water. SO, we used to haul water and gravity feed-down the funnel process- into the holding tank of our former RV. This new Chaparral RV only has a hook-up for a hose connection with pressure needed, and we will have to find an all-weather spigot and truck it over. What pump would work best to fill our on-board fresh water? Bilge pump? Power drill Pump? Siphon from a truck bed in a rain barrel????
What have any of you worked with?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #17

Angry Dealer refuses to do warranty work.

I just purchased a 2019 left over Coachman Leprechaun. I drove out of state 8 hours to buy the unit.

I have a problem with a leaking slide out. I called the local dealer and they refused to work on the rig since I did not buy it from them. (Note in the past, I bought two travel trailers from this local dealer.) I called the out of state dealer and he contacted me with Coachman. The Coachman rep recommended I try to fix it myself which I was more then willing to try. He told me to check the pans on the slide. The problem is I can't find the pans!. I tried calling and emailing back, the Coachman rep has not returned my calls or emails. What a pain in the ass!. I wish I had purchased a used unit. I would then have it fixed and wouldn't care what it cost to fix the leak.
Gllo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross0547 View Post
Thanks so much everyone, I feel better already!!
Now another question: In my earlier Post, I mentioned we are Campground Hosts. In MN when the first frost appears, the Park turns off the water. SO, we used to haul water and gravity feed-down the funnel process- into the holding tank of our former RV. This new Chaparral RV only has a hook-up for a hose connection with pressure needed, and we will have to find an all-weather spigot and truck it over. What pump would work best to fill our on-board fresh water? Bilge pump? Power drill Pump? Siphon from a truck bed in a rain barrel????
What have any of you worked with?
I would use something like this. Good flow. I didn't use it for my RV but for circulating a de lime solution through a home tankless water heater.

https://smile.amazon.com/SumpMarine-...-1-spons&psc=1
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #19

For transferring water, I would suggest using an exact match of the 12 volt water pump in your RV. That way, you have a spare, you need 12 volts (always available), easily adapted to hose threads.

Remember, pumps push far better than they pull, so keep the suction hose short.
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
For transferring water, I would suggest using an exact match of the 12 volt water pump in your RV. That way, you have a spare, you need 12 volts (always available), easily adapted to hose threads.

Remember, pumps push far better than they pull, so keep the suction hose short.
That is an excellent idea! As long as the pump isn't fragile (can't handle storage or bumps when moving back and forth for outside work) it would be good to have a spare.

david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty