Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Alberta Camper
 
Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Our First (busted)week with our New Blue Ridge 3600

Well, lets just say we are off to a poor start. Here is a list of issues we had.
1. Stairs broke
2. Furness would not light
3. Air mattress had a hole in it
4. Dinette slide would not work properly
5 Deal bolt on door would not work

Now this all happen on our first weekend out. At the time of the events I did not have a tow vehicle and could not tow the unit back to town. This might have been a good things, because I am not sure towing in my state of mind would have been good for me or my 5er. I might have towed it to the dump.


So, on Saturday, I called the dealer and talked to the General Manager. He was very good and got some one from the dealership to come out to our lot and pull the unit back to town and get these issues fixed. So Kudos's to my dealer. But right now Forest River is not my best friend. I hope someone from Forest River reads this.

But the big event was my wife broke her arm when she fell off the stairs and had to have pins put in. So, now my work load doubled(I know the women readers will choke on this), but my wife does a lot, and now I have to pick up the slack. (I am going to get it).( I know, I know).(Be kind)

Let's hope the rest of the summer goes better.

__________________

__________________
2011 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Curt 5 20k
2010 Camping 20 nights
2011Camping 40 Nights

Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Deadbolt on door.

I had to remove my piston rod at the top of the door. The 20 PSI piston is WAY too much power for that flimsey door. It pushed the top of the door against the frame at the top (by bending the hinges) within six months.

Once I removed the piston the door locks worked perfectly.

I added a CAMCO door "hold open" to latch the main door open when we were just using the screen door. Caution: Pop Rivets do not work well for this as the door and wall material are not strong enough to take the pressure of popping the rivet. I wound up using Shop 3M: 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 5200, 05220, White, 3 oz. and larger pop rivets; then "snugging" the rivet up tight before I cut off the wire with a dremel.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Alberta Camper
 
Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Thanks Lou

Well we have most things fixed, except the furnace. Not sure why I can not get it to come on at night. The fan runs for about 20 seconds and shuts off. No Heat.
Any thoughts out there?
__________________
2011 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Curt 5 20k
2010 Camping 20 nights
2011Camping 40 Nights

Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave View Post
Thanks Lou

Well we have most things fixed, except the furnace. Not sure why I can not get it to come on at night. The fan runs for about 20 seconds and shuts off. No Heat.
Any thoughts out there?
Hm. Does it work OK during the day? (Just kidding!)

The heater has a sail switch in the outflow that could be bad. It will not light the furnace if the fan does not run. The "sail" moves and closes a switch that lets the propane flow. No sail; no heat and it will shutdown.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Alberta Camper
 
Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Hm. Does it work OK during the day? (Just kidding!)

The heater has a sail switch in the outflow that could be bad. It will not light the furnace if the fan does not run. The "sail" moves and closes a switch that lets the propane flow. No sail; no heat and it will shutdown.
Lou, Thanks again. I think you hit the nail on the head. I will pass that to my dealer and see what he says. (you should be paid for your advise)
I owe ya.
__________________
2011 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Curt 5 20k
2010 Camping 20 nights
2011Camping 40 Nights

Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bracey Va, At Lake Gaston
Posts: 178
just had a similar problem with my furnace. the High temp cutout was bad and would not reset. Problem was last person who worked on it put in a 180 degree and it was supposed to be a 225 degree. Its also supposed to reset but would not. original owners used the camper three times and ran the furnace with the slides in covering two vents.
__________________
Bill And Theresa Perry, At Lake Gaston
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F 150 Super crew with 5.4 Tow package
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Grums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta.
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave
Well, lets just say we are off to a poor start. Here is a list of issues we had.
1. Stairs broke
2. Furness would not light
3. Air mattress had a hole in it
4. Dinette slide would not work properly
5 Deal bolt on door would not work

Now this all happen on our first weekend out. At the time of the events I did not have a tow vehicle and could not tow the unit back to town. This might have been a good things, because I am not sure towing in my state of mind would have been good for me or my 5er. I might have towed it to the dump.

So, on Saturday, I called the dealer and talked to the General Manager. He was very good and got some one from the dealership to come out to our lot and pull the unit back to town and get these issues fixed. So Kudos's to my dealer. But right now Forest River is not my best friend. I hope someone from Forest River reads this.

But the big event was my wife broke her arm when she fell off the stairs and had to have pins put in. So, now my work load doubled(I know the women readers will choke on this), but my wife does a lot, and now I have to pick up the slack. (I am going to get it).( I know, I know).(Be kind)

Let's hope the rest of the summer goes better.
From a fellow 3600rs owner, you have our sincere sympathy at what happened. We hope your wife is better soon.
We love our fifth wheel even with small problems. Still waiting to get several completed since late spring but our dealer has been really good.
Have a question about the dining room slide. Our binds the outside seal and is slowing ripping it away in one spot. The rubber flap seal is fine. It's the harder outer seal on the slide itself. Anyone gave the same problem?
The dealer says they are waiting for a response from Forest River but none so far.
__________________
Grums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grums

From a fellow 3600rs owner, you have our sincere sympathy at what happened. We hope your wife is better soon.
We love our fifth wheel even with small problems. Still waiting to get several completed since late spring but our dealer has been really good.
Have a question about the dining room slide. Our binds the outside seal and is slowing ripping it away in one spot. The rubber flap seal is fine. It's the harder outer seal on the slide itself. Anyone gave the same problem?
The dealer says they are waiting for a response from Forest River but none so far.
If I understand you correctly...

I had this same issue and discovered the "moving" seal on the side of the slideout was "passing" the "fixed" seal mounted on the skin of the trailer when closing the slideout (make sense?)

I found it was because FR cut the fixed side skin a bit short down at the bottom where the skin and slideout curve down and inwards. This kept the slideout seal from properly pushing against and engaging the fixed skin seal. They would pass each other when closing and tear the rubber.

A piece of aluminum sheet metal curved by hand and some pop rivets all under the trim and seal on the fixed skin side and I now have a skin "extension" (can't exactly add sheet metal any other way) This gives the slideout seal something to push against and no more passing problems.

If you're careful about unscrewing and removing the existing trim and seal, you won't even see the modification.

I can take pics if you want. Took about 30 minutes to do.
__________________
45 ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Grums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta.
Posts: 16
I would love some photos. If it's the same and sounds like it is, I'll give them to my dealer in hopes of solving our problem. Thanks again for all your help. Look forward to your reply. Cheers.
__________________
Grums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Alberta Camper
 
Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 45
Grums

Well the wife is back to normal. We have most of our issues fixed. But interesting that the seal is tearing on the dinette slide. We are having the same issue as well. The first week we had the trailer out, the dinette side would not retract without binding. The dealer had to make some adjustments to get to slide in or out. Now the seal is tearing. Other than some of bad luck, we truly love the trailer. Hope your summer is good and full of camping.
__________________

__________________
2011 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Curt 5 20k
2010 Camping 20 nights
2011Camping 40 Nights

Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue ridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.