Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #1

Our First Trip is just a week away!

Boy are we ready to get the trailer and GO! We picked up our TT on July 27 and it's just been parked. We can't even park it by our house thanks to the tiny, steep lot we've got, so it's in a storage place nearby.

Today I reserved a spot in a campground about an hour and a half from home. It's got great reviews and our spot has a big "yard" area around it so we're not going to be stuck up against another RV. There's a little fishing (catch and release) lake and some trails and a pool etc., but mostly, this is just us learning what we can. The only downside is there is no dump at our site, water/electric only, but that's okay because the RV Storage lot has one and we can dump when we get back. It's just a weekend...won't be like we'll fill her up.

So...any pointers for rank amateurs?

Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Btm

Take a pencil and pad to write down things you want to remember for your next trip.
Take your lawn chairs and enjoy your time away.

Btm

2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

what BTM said..... Expect a few things here and there your first few trips, but don't let it ruin the experience. You'll learn leaps and bounds in your first few trips. Here's to great memories to come!
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Thanks! My only real worry is that we'll be driving home with half-filled gray and black tanks sloshing away. But I guess we'll need to know how to deal with that too.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

How exciting! Enjoy the trip. Funny the campground doesn't have a central dump site. Oh well, you'll be fine just enjoy the new trailer.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
How exciting! Enjoy the trip. Funny the campground doesn't have a central dump site. Oh well, you'll be fine just enjoy the new trailer.
Yeah, most individual sites do. But some also are just water and electric and some are primitive tent sites. They didn't have any full hook up left.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #7

Congrats! This will be fun, for sure.

I agree with the pad of paper advice. It's the really random stuff that you will realize you need for the camper. Like garbage bags, random cooking utensils, paper towel, sponge, soap, toiletries, etc...

Have fun and enjoy the new camper!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #8

Congratulations and enjoy! Take your time driving, maneuvering, parking and setting up and the reverse going home. Think about everything you do so you don't forget any important steps. My DW and I use a checklist before we hit the road.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
Gold Tee Box

You didn't mention what your tow vehicle or TT are. If you haven't done so, I would work in a stop at a CAT scale while fully loaded up on your trip. In fact, go first with your TV only, to see what your actual front and rear axle weights are. Then go back with your TT hitched. It will show you how your WDH is set up and provide some assurance that you are within guidelines.

Be safe and have fun!
53 campgrounds/362 nights, 18K Miles since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

check to see if they had any cancellations for full hook up sites. you still might get one. and you said they have full hook up sites and water / electric only sites. you did not say that they do not have a common dump site. double check, they may well have one that you can dump in before the drive home. if not ask them where the nearest one is. we have a large gas station in town that has a dump station that gets used a lot by people on their way home.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
You didn't mention what your tow vehicle or TT are. If you haven't done so, I would work in a stop at a CAT scale while fully loaded up on your trip. In fact, go first with your TV only, to see what your actual front and rear axle weights are. Then go back with your TT hitched. It will show you how your WDH is set up and provide some assurance that you are within guidelines.

Be safe and have fun!
We plan to do that. There is a large interstate interchange on the way where they have CAT scales. Looking forward to checking it out. I guess I need to update, now that I actually have a truck and trailer, to add my signature stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
check to see if they had any cancellations for full hook up sites. you still might get one. and you said they have full hook up sites and water / electric only sites. you did not say that they do not have a common dump site. double check, they may well have one that you can dump in before the drive home. if not ask them where the nearest one is. we have a large gas station in town that has a dump station that gets used a lot by people on their way home.
As best I can tell, from website and talking to the lady, without actually asking, they do not have a common dump site. If they do, we'll use it. But as for cancellations, I really kind of like the spot they put us in. Google maps show it's got a ton of "lawn" and trees around it so we're not in the middle of the crowd. There were a few full hookups that I was interested in, but this one would have been my #1 or #2 pick had it had sewer. Still...it's only like hour from home, (maybe an hour 15). A truck stop with a dump is less than halfway home so like 45 minutes?

But, surely it isn't that big of a deal to drive an hour before we dump?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

Hmm...I did my signature so it shows the truck and trailer and states what it is and it doesn't show. I double checked my settings. Any ideas what's wrong?

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #13

I would ask on arrival but if no hook ups are available look for an open full hookup site before you leave and dump your tanks there before driving home as long as it is before checkin. No reason they would not have a dump station if they have full hookup sites usually.

Its really nice that your storage lot has one but the less you haul that around the better to me. I usually have to go to a nearby campground and pay to dump.

Use a tank treatment each day.
As others said keep a list of what you will want to get for the next trip or even this one.
Take it slow getting things ready and dont let others rush you. That is where I do stupid things.
If you have questions feel free to ask someone nearby most campers are very helpful and will offer advice if asked. There is always the forum if you have coverage.
Most important is to enjoy it!

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #14

They have "Full Hookups" but no central dump station ?? is that correct ?? Most of the campgrounds around our area have "Full Hookup". "Water/Elec" only, but they all have a central...or two "Dump Stations" at the CG.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
Dr Travel

First of all, have fun

and that likely includes bringing along a six pack of your favorite brew, or a couple of your favorite bottles of wine.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
They have "Full Hookups" but no central dump station ?? is that correct ?? Most of the campgrounds around our area have "Full Hookup". "Water/Elec" only, but they all have a central...or two "Dump Stations" at the CG.
I've never been there before, so I'm not 100% sure, but no central dump is listed anywhere on their site or other sites like Campendium or Sanidumps, etc. I didn't specifically ask, so there may be. They have a map, which I'll attach, and the site lists everything from where to fill propane to the gold fish pond, but no dump site.

Our site is the red circle. All by itself and nice and shady when you look on Google.

So...Could someone tell me why is it bad for us to drive home and dump there? I mean, it's less than 60 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	211927  

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Old 08-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #17

I have been camping for a few years(not as much as I want to) and I still get excited about going camping. I usually plan a few weeks and sometimes months ahead and then start counting the days....

Enjoy your trip and make memories.

FWIW My DW says she created a monster when she "agreed" we needed a camper.

The only pointers I can give are to take your time, plan for accidents(left/forgot stuff at home), take time to look at nature, take pictures, be PATIENT with those assisting you and remember you are there for fun!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #18

Our First Trip - a week away!

Create a check off list for arrival and departures my hubby put it in a $1 dollar tree frame you can use a wipe of marker a firm surface to write on. He got the idea from our older daughter
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
I've never been there before, so I'm not 100% sure, but no central dump is listed anywhere on their site or other sites like Campendium or Sanidumps, etc. I didn't specifically ask, so there may be. They have a map, which I'll attach, and the site lists everything from where to fill propane to the gold fish pond, but no dump site.

Our site is the red circle. All by itself and nice and shady when you look on Google.

So...Could someone tell me why is it bad for us to drive home and dump there? I mean, it's less than 60 miles.
If you have the capacity in your TV to haul the weight it is not bad and can be done without issues assuming the trailer is balanced well...depending on where your tanks are located you could significantly increase or decrease your tongue weight.

Because of where the tanks are located on my trailer they will make me over on rear axle weights taking weight off the front end and making things unstable. Tightening the WDH will displace some but not all of that weight. Every trailer and setup is different and many dont have these issues so be your own judge but it will handle different with the additional weight.

For me it is better to dump even if taking a full hook up site for a few minutes to do it. Your milage may vary.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #20

Driving with black water is good. It breaks it up. I'll dump every other weekend, depending on the line/expected line at the next place.

aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip