Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Out of state purchase

For those of you who have purchased from RVW, (or any dealership) states away from your homes, how did you manage the trip? I've read where some of you have driven, or plan to drive, from the west coast to RVW and purchase a motorhome, have it equipped to tow, and then tow your vehicles back.

If I go with RVW, I'm more inclined to fly (160.00 dollar flight from central Florida to Columbus, OH) My thought would be to UPS a box of camping goods to the dealership prior to my arrival to make the trip home (900 miles) a little more comfortable, and not have to rush it home.

Pick up the motorhome, stay locally for a few days to test everything, and then start home.

Has anyone flew in to pick up their motor home? Shipped camping stuff prior to arrival ?

1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

None of the stuff your talking about can't be bought at Walmart when you get there? What is your definition of camping stuff. I drove 700 miles one way to pick up my trailer. Packed back of truck with stuff I had packed into my old TT. When we got to first stop on way back we transferred the stuff. A real definition of a shake down

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

I flew to Ariz. to pick up my motor home (the one I had before now from Oregon. Did the walk through, signed the papers and stopped at Walmart on our way outta town. Picked up paper plates, food, etc and made the 2 day trip back to Oregon without a hitch. Buy a cheap sleeping bag , some TP and have fun. It's risky but a little risk makes life interesting.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

We traveled from NJ to Michigan to trade in our TT for the MH we have now. Only carried the essentials with us in the TT. Made the 12 hr trek left in the middle of the night and arrived at the dealership around noon; did the PDI and paperwork, grabbed some dinner and stayed at a local CG for shake down night. My father in-law drove my pickup back and I drove the MH home. It was a very long two days and it was a gamble but in the end it paid off and we had a lot of fun on the adventure.

2014 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Wal-Mart was my first thought to pick up basics if I was headed straight back home. But after looking at the trip, I would like to spend a day / night at the dealership, then maybe two nights at a local campground to check everything out. I have family in Va about two hours north of 77 on 81, I would maybe stop for a night or two (local campground) to visit since I'm in the area.

Arrive at the dealership, handle business, spend the night......head to grocery store, and grab a outside chair from somewhere and head to campground.

Then head home from there, so I would be looking at several nights on the road. It seems I already have double of everything for my TT....lol, I don't need / want to buy more camping stuff for this trip.

For the price of additional luggage on the flight, it would not cost much more to ship a box of items to the dealership to make this trip home more comfortable / practical.

Again, I was just inquiring if anyone had "shipped" basic camping items to a dealership prior to flying in, and their experience with it?

Yes, it would be much simpler to fly in, and then drive straight home (and I still may do that ) but not as much fun ....lol !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 04-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
RETIRED

Assuming your buying a motorhome, we rented a car locally, found the closest branch to the dealer and made arrangements to be dropped off at the dealer finalized everything and drove home. Sounds like your a bit further than we were but in a rental you could carry everything you would want. Good Luck!

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
For those of you who have purchased from RVW, (or any dealership) states away from your homes, how did you manage the trip? I've read where some of you have driven, or plan to drive, from the west coast to RVW and purchase a motorhome, have it equipped to tow, and then tow your vehicles back.

If I go with RVW, I'm more inclined to fly (160.00 dollar flight from central Florida to Columbus, OH) My thought would be to UPS a box of camping goods to the dealership prior to my arrival to make the trip home (900 miles) a little more comfortable, and not have to rush it home.

Pick up the motorhome, stay locally for a few days to test everything, and then start home.

Has anyone flew in to pick up their motor home? Shipped camping stuff prior to arrival ?
I bought from RVW, but drove up... it is a toy hauler. I wasn't given an option to stay there, but there is a nice state park close by.

Naturally we brought everything we would need for a 3 week trip after the sale... including a Triumph MC. I like the idea of flying up, but if your list of things you can't be without for your short trip from there, it might be cheaper to drive... even if you rent a car... with a large trunk! Walmart is close by and should have all the essentials... beer, linens, towels, toiletries, TP, toilet chemical, water hose, sewer hose, a folding chair, EMS (could fit into my suit case), clothes, kitchen needs, food, LP gas (make a full tank part of your deal), and did I mention, beer... ice trays... paper and plastic, there is a lot of stuff, huh? Driving with a packed trunk is sounding better to me... if it was me.
WW
WW
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies and ideas !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

Just an idea, but what about renting a car at home for a one way trip to destination. I would think the dealership would help you get it dropped off. That way, you could haul most of the stuff you need with you so you're not having to buy duplicates. Now I suggest that not knowing what a one way car rental costs, but it might be worth a phone call to the car rental co....maybe rent a truck? Or even a small van...then haul all your stuff...lol

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #10

We traveled from NY to Michigan 862 miles (16 hours straight). We got there 9pm I rented a hotel room, and went to the dealership first thing in the morning. Did the PDI and pulled it home, only stopping for gas. It was a fifth wheel. I just wanted to get it home and show the family. I wasn't going to take them on a long trip without knowing everything was ok.

abomb is offline   Reply With Quote