Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Outbuilding Advice

After paying for off site RV storage for 10 years, we bought a house on 3 1/2 acres and plan on having an outbuilding built to store our 5th wheel, TV, lawn equipment etc. We have a basic idea of what we want but would like to get feedback from those that have built, or plan to build, an outbuilding. Anything you didn't plan for that you wish you would have, things to avoid, etc.

Here's the basics of what we're planning on at this point.
1. 40' W x 50' L
2. 14' x 14' Rollup door on either end of building. (I want to be able to pull through the outbuilding and turn around in the lot behind it then pull back into the building to avoid backing in from the street)
3. Insulated walls and roof
4. Large ventilation fan to reduce heat buildup in summer months
5. 200 amp electrical service - We'll have 50 amp 120 volt service plug installed at rear of outbuilding so the rig can be used here at home when needed.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

If I were going to the trouble to do all that, I would also install a sewer connection and water connection.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #3

I have a 36X42 with a 12 foot entrance height. How fancy all comes down to money. You can spend under 20K or go all out and hit six figures. I could only afford the cheap route so I had Lester Buildings build the structure for 15K 10 years ago. From there I did the rest myself. I ran 220v 20 amp service and rather than trying to insulate the whole thing I built a 18X21 shop in one corner section with a concrete floor and insulated and heated just that. The rest of the building is uninsulated and has a gravel floor. A ridge vent lets out the heat. Sewer and water was not in the budget and found since I can do without. Country boys pee outside and don't wash their hands much anyway. Might sound gross to some folks but 100% true!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

I have a 40X48 Pole Barn and I have power and phone service out there because you can't always get cell phone service in a metal building. Also, with these New 5ers, they are 12' 6" or more so make sure you get a tall enough door opening. We bought a 8289WS last year and had to rebuild our door opening to 13' 0" to get the new RV in the building. Other wise your plan sounds good.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Thanks all for the replies.

We've discussed adding water and sewer connection but not really sure we want to go to that expense, although I have no idea how much that would add to the project cost. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. As for phone service...we dropped our land line service when we moved into this house so we're cell service only. HOA requires the outbuilding to be on a slab so we can't cut corners there. Our rig height is a little over 13' due to the front a/c so we're going with 14' tall doors.

Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

If your doing a concrete slab make sure you install trench drains or some type of floor drains.This will allow you to wash the trailer down in the building.
Some people put a few clear plastic panels on the roof or panels from the eve down 16". This allows natural light to light the space during the day. Most of the time this is no additional cost to the project just proper planning during the design phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

I also recommend heated floors. At least put the tubing in, it's not that expensive. This way you can choose to add the boiler later or not
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #8

might as well make it 60' long about the same $$$, yes to water and sewer , and might as well put a bathroom in the building or at least rough in for one

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #9

IMHO,
The heated floors idea is top notch and pre-plumbing sanitary is a cheap option now as opposed to later should you decide to add it.

Gas driven hanging furnaces work great and fast if you plan for heat on demand other than heat full time.

As to plumbing, set it up during construction to save big money even if you do not need it now. Remember, Re-sale, another man may want that bad...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Just when I thought I was narrowing down my list to the small stuff I get all these awesome, and potentially expensive, ideas. I guess I should be careful what I ask for.

Although some of my decisions for this outbuilding have re-sale factored in, I also have to keep my budget in mind. I know, I know... party pooper.

Being in Texas, heated floors never crossed my mind but I must admit that I'm curious what expense this would add and how effective it would be vs. conventional heating methods. Definitely worth some research.

Clear or obscure panels on the roof are being added to the project.

I'll also add the plumbing ideas to the estimate process and see if that will be an option. I really like the idea of adding that, even if it's just a rough in.

Thanks again for all the great ideas.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

Good luck ! Treat the installers well and they will return the favor. Remember they had nothing to do will the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

I would suggest that you off set the garage doors.

/====22'=======/----14'door----------/==4'===/

This way you can put out slides & awning and have a nice work area.

Also add enough length so truck and 5er fit in without unhooking.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #13

Since I live in northern MN I'm surprised you would need to worry about heating it. I 2nd the idea of making sure you can get in with your truck hooked up.