Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

Outside Fridge?

Hello all. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep our outside fridge running during travel. We have a Rockwood 8286 5th wheel that has an outside kitchen with a fridge. We keep it plugged up at home with mostly drinks and a few other things. Of course, when we pull out and unplug, there is no electricity to run it during travel.

We love our outside kitchen and it is very functional, but when you really think out it, the fridge is not!! It's kinda of useless if you have to wait for it to get cool at the campground. Also, we have found water on the countertops, which is due to the small freezer thawing out during travel.

Any suggestions on keeping this thing powered during travel? I was thinking a power converter connected to battery while traveling. Will that work? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

i assume the fridge runs only on AC if that is the case than you may be able to use a convertor as long as you only runnning the fridge . I can see that it could be a pain in the butt not running it while traveling an having to wait after setting up to cool it down

Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, as best I can tell, the specs say gas electric refer. Have you looked at the manual for the refer? You can run it on gas, as long as you don't go through a tunnel. Might also want to turn it off while refueling. A few other suggestions/questions about running a refer on gas while towing have already been discussed on here. Do a search and ye shall find.

Also, as for water on the counter tops, there should be a small drain hose, just below the freezer, that runs to the outside lower vent, at least there is on most refer's. Not sure how you are getting water on the counter tops, as the door gasket should keep all the water in the refer, even if that line was disconnected. Something to check.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

The only way I can think of is to run a inverter off your 12 volt system to the fridge, a dorn size fridge like that wll not need a really large one.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Windrider they have an outdoor kitchen model that has a small dorm size fridge and a sink and stove
Old 11-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

Thanks for all of your replies. Yes, windrider, it is the outside fridge that I'm taking about. My fridge inside is both propane/electric. I'm only concerned with keeping that one running. I was thinking of buying a separate battery and place it on the countertop next to the fridge. Then connecting a power inverter to the battery then the fridge to the inverter. I guess I need to find out what size battery and how much elec does the fridge draw to get the proper size inverter. Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
i assume the fridge runs only on AC if that is the case than you may be able to use a convertor as long as you only runnning the fridge . I can see that it could be a pain in the butt not running it while traveling an having to wait after setting up to cool it down
Yes Chevy, it sounds petty but we are from south Louisiana and like a cold cerveza in my hand while setting up. The beauty of the fridge outside is that I do not have to carry an ice chest, nor go inside the camper for one!!