Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
JEN

Outside Kitchens

Just wondering if anyone with the outside kitchens have had any issues with dampness in the laminate countertop?

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

We just looked at some trailers at our local rv show last weekend with outdoor kitchens and i gotta' say i'm not impressed. Without really knowing how they fabricate the laminate tops [the sales rep didn't know either] i can only assume they follow industry standards,3/4" indust. grade particle board with plastic laminate adheared with spray-on contact cement wich in my opinion as a master carpenter/cabinet maker would totally unsuited for out-door use. In addition i was surprised how some manufacturers set the hight of the flip-up door at 6'! I can only assume that this feature will go the way of the dodo bird and one has to wonder how much energy went into such a dumb idea.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

MPI Mallard, I'm sorry you feel that way. I happen to enjoy the concept. When we are camping most of our time is spent outdoors whether the weather cooperates or not. The added convenience and ease of acces to our beverages is what drew us to purcashe our unit.
While you have trade experience you are basing you assumptions on little knowledge of the actual product. This can be a very slippery slope. I would think that these counter tops would be made in a similar fashion to the counters inside the units. these weather the seasons quite well and are used in similar environmental conditions as the units are not conditioned year round.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, what have we here. Neither one knows how the counter tops are constructed, but we are going to argue over it. Oh well, at least a tape measure will verify the door height, and while it may not bother someone that is 5'6", I can see where a 6'4" person wouldn't like it, no more than they would some of the units with the shorter than standard bed.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

MPI Mallard
Quote:
I can only assume that this feature will go the way of the dodo bird and one has to wonder how much energy went into such a dumb idea.
Really? This happens to be one of the hottest features going the last couple of years. If you are a true camper and enjoy the outdoors why would you not just love the fact that you can do all of your cooking, drinking and dish washing outside.
Other positive aspects are that it does not heat up the inside of the rig, and no grease splatter to deal with inside when cooking items like bacon, sausage, or other things that tend to go pop and make a mess over time.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like it's time for a poll!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-it-11224.html
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Veyor View Post
If you are a true camper and enjoy the outdoors why would you not just love the fact that you can do all of your cooking, drinking and dish washing outside.
I think your reasoning is why most of us have left tent and pop-up camping behind.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well said Dave
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

So you guys don't like being outside?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #10

Has anyone experienced delam with there counter tops inside of there campers? Campers are not made to be tight to where one has full control over the temperatures and humidity, they leak. They are not built like a house and if they were the price would be too high.

The out door kitchens are a new concept to RVing, and people seem to like it because it is different, however it is just another kitchen to clean, but it is cool looking. I do not have one, but just trying to think ahead based on Pro's and Con's. The construction and the material used and how heat and humidity plays apart on how long it will last on the out side. There are people that like to get the newest things and that is fine, they are the testing group and this is when we will see what fails and what doesn't, then hopefully changes will be made to make it better.

It's in your best intrest to check out all of the info on the product before defending or condemning, knowing the facts will help you others here.