Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

outside stowage

Our 2015 TT came with only one access door to the front stowage compartment.So if you need anything from the other end you have to climb inside the compartment of lift the queen bed up to get it. How dumb of FR to only put one access door in. We were told it would cost about $1000.00 to get another door installed, does that seem to high a price? It does to me..... The compartment goes all the way across the front of the TT. It's a nice compartment BUT no back door.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

It's not just Forest River that does this. Our previous RV (Open Range) was the same way.

They told us after I complained about it when we were buying it that it is because of the location front slide-out. Putting a access door on that side would have weakened the side frame too much and could have caused problems.

I don't know if it was true or not but we lived with it that way until we sold it. I fashioned a long pole out of a broom handle with a "hook" on the end to get to things on the other side. It worked OK.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

I think it would be easy to install a sliding shelf to pull out from the hatch.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #4

I use a telescoping boat hook, similar to what ependydad describes, to reach deep into the storage bay (I have opposing doors) and to reach things deep in my covered truck bed. Cost about $20, and it floats.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

no passthru storage on my TT is a deal breaker for me. Have looked at several floorplans for our next camper, and have seen many that we liked a lot but they had almost no outside storage, or only one access door as you described... I bypass those units entirely. I agree with previous posters a long hook may be your best option, but that only helps with retrieval, not stowing things away on the other end.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

That price seems excessive. I have a friend who only has one door and is having a dealer put one on the other side, for about $500 Cdn. The dealer also said that when they order it, they are telling the manufacturer that it's a replacement, so that the colour scheme will match the already installed door.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote