Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Outside TV

Seen a few opinions on this but really don't have a good idea on if this is acceptable....tonight I purchased a nice LCD 23" TV from our neighbor who is moving for $40 with the intention to use it as an outside TV at the racetrack. I know this is no issue at a nascar event but what about a traditional camping weekend? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421465368.244297.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	68497I like to watch football and my cardinals when possible but wanted to see if this would anger others in a traditional camping setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

It wouldn't bother me, but i also leave my porch light on at night too.
I like watching the news in the morning drinking coffee, outside. The kids would probably want cartoons. As soon as my camper gets back from the dealer, im putting in a tv that slides out of the basement.

I think that if someone really wants to get away from it all and really camp....get a tent and do it.
Im glamping or actually for us, it's just our lake house! (And usually we are actually pretty quiet. Radio low, and try to keep kids noise down, and after 11pm we're usually inside or just chatting)
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Seen a few opinions on this but really don't have a good idea on if this is acceptable....tonight I purchased a nice LCD 23" TV from our neighbor who is moving for $40 with the intention to use it as an outside TV at the racetrack. I know this is no issue at a nascar event but what about a traditional camping weekend? Attachment 68497I like to watch football and my cardinals when possible but wanted to see if this would anger others in a traditional camping setting?

Keep the volume reasonable and you'll have no problem. Seems half the campers here unit came with or were retrofitted with TV's.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't really see a difference between and outside TV and an outside radio. Respect the quiet hours and there shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and of course try to make sure the content is family friendly. That goes for TVs as well as Radios in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

I have met some great people when i have stopped at someones site to ask for a game update while they were watching their outside tv. Keep it quiet and all will be happy
jkeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Don't really see a difference between and outside TV and an outside radio. Respect the quiet hours and there shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and of course try to make sure the content is family friendly. That goes for TVs as well as Radios in my opinion.

The difference is that a television is a big light. It would not bother me at all, but there was a recent thread in which many complained about people's porch lights and awning lights disturbing them in campgrounds.

I just close my blinds and don't worry about such things, but it seems like a lot of folks in that other thread have a big issue with outdoor lighting. You might hear from some of them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
cjearle

"You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but can't make all the people happy all the time!" We just try to be respectful!

We are glampers as well. Like to watch movies outside with a bowl of popcorn like a drive in movie and night air. Only time we can do so in our busy life. We are busy people and it is our way of relaxing. But we are very respectful of our neighbors. If we are at a camp ground that is very close to our neighbor (like reach out and touch your neighbor kind of camping) which we try to avoid, don't want to be that close, we do not watch the TV or leave on the porch light. Glamping is to be relaxing and not fight with the neighbor camping.
Just common sense!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
"You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but can't make all the people happy all the time!" We just try to be respectful!

We are glampers as well. Like to watch movies outside with a bowl of popcorn like a drive in movie and night air. Only time we can do so in our busy life. We are busy people and it is our way of relaxing. But we are very respectful of our neighbors. If we are at a camp ground that is very close to our neighbor (like reach out and touch your neighbor kind of camping) which we try to avoid, don't want to be that close, we do not watch the TV or leave on the porch light. Glamping is to be relaxing and not fight with the neighbor camping.
Just common sense!
I agree. When people go to a state campground to enjoy the woods and quietness and to get away from the city lights, I can understand the need for a minimum of lighting at night. But when you're in a private campground that has a pool, playgrounds and other distractions, seeing someone's TV or other lights at night shouldn't be a problem.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
The difference is that a television is a big light. It would not bother me at all, but there was a recent thread in which many complained about people's porch lights and awning lights disturbing them in campgrounds.

I just close my blinds and don't worry about such things, but it seems like a lot of folks in that other thread have a big issue with outdoor lighting. You might hear from some of them.

Oh, I agree about the light. But if you're shutting it off for quiet hours, most often you're also shutting it off once it gets dark enough to bother people. At least around here it usually has quiet hours around 10, which is also when it gets dark in the summer.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

I agree it's about common sense. I am one that does not like lights on at night. I'm not bothered by yellow porch lights or dim led's/ awning lights. When people turn all the scare lights on or have 100 watt light bulbs burning at night it is annoying. TV's don't bother me. I think it has more to do with intensity then just lights. I enjoy watching families having fun in the early evening watching a movie or enjoying some family time.
Now if your watching a movie at 2:00 am with volume turned up I'm probably gonna be annoyed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Mostly its about the noise after hours. People and television noise. When in doubt, knock on your neighbors door and ask them. Maybe invite them to watch the game. Another way to meet some nice folks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 AM   #12

What is an acceptable level during non quiet hours? Just curious on what some opinions are?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
What is an acceptable level during non quiet hours? Just curious on what some opinions are?
If you can hear it 10-20ft away it's probably reached the threshold of noise for neighbors. If in doubt use ear phones.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

Please use ear phones if you're listening to something outside. A bunch of TV's or radios going ends up just a bunch of noise.
One big reason we don't camp at State Parks. Noise & drunks........
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote