Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Ovens?

My wife and I are debating whether we need an oven in the tt we are in the process of purchasing. I'm wondering how much we would use an oven. Most of our camp cooking has been done on a gas grill or open fire. I am curious to see what your experience has been. Do you use the oven enough to justify the additional cost, weight and less storage, or is a waste of money and space? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Greg & Shirley Confer
Harrisburg, PA
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Greg, I moved this thread to General Community Discussions from the Welcome Mat.

We like our gas oven. Biscuits in the morning are great. We also use it for warming food......our microwave doesn't seem to work when dry camping.

When shopping for our trailer, we bypassed many units because they did not have gas ovens. Those convection ovens need electricity, and many times we don't have that hookup.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Like Chap said, a gas oven works without electricity.
We like to do at least a little cool/cold weather camping.
Nothing like hot biscuits with sausage gravy and hot coffee
to take the chill off the inside of your trailer AND you!

OTOH, if you only camp with hookups or only in warm weather
it's entirely a personal choice. I don't know if it would have
any effect on re-sale. Probably not much.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Worth ever dime for me, if for nothing else warm biscuits, and fresh dinner rolls.

We have had weather force us inside to cook the oven worked great. I would not have a rv without it.

Michael
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #5

use ours all the time. I do a lot of breakfast casseroles to feed others camping with us and the only real way to do them is in a gas oven. I too don't like the idea of not having an oven if not hooked to CG power (although most times where we camp has at least electricity).
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

We just can't get used to the convection oven. Wouldn't have a MH without the "real" thing.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #7

Thanks, folks. Great to hear. You're all making me hungry for something hot out of the oven. And my wife will appreciate the opportunity for yet another "I told you so". She's usually always right. Which means I'm usually always wrong!!!
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
Thanks, folks. Great to hear. You're all making me hungry for something hot out of the oven. And my wife will appreciate the opportunity for yet another "I told you so". She's usually always right. Which means I'm usually always wrong!!!
We've cooked pizza and my signature escargot in mushroom caps with cheese! We have friends that are seasonal campers, when we go to their campground people identify us by asking "are they the ones that cook the food that smells so good?"

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

Nothing like a Jalapeno pie in the morning. Can't do it in the micro.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10

Actually, the "stock" Suburban oven that comes with most campers is rather small inside, so I would have preferred to upgrade the oven to a better one, probably only a few more dollars than the one it came with. Also, in case you don't realize it, the three burner stovetop is also part of the oven unit. It also works as a heat source, if your'e desperate! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
camping

in five years I bet we've only used the oven 3 times, twice in the old one and once in the new one to make sure it worked. we always get electric sites and do most of our cooking outside or in the micro. Even though we don't use the oven I would not get one without, for resale and should the power go out its a great back up.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Last winter when we lost electricity during 1 of our snow storms, the camper oven was stove and oven was used for our supper.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
We've cooked pizza and my signature escargot in mushroom caps with cheese! We have friends that are seasonal campers, when we go to their campground people identify us by asking "are they the ones that cook the food that smells so good?"

happy camping,
I'd love to have that escargot recipt, if you don't mind sharing it. Also, the oven was the main option we wanted on our newest trailer, having not had one before. We use it a lot.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

I did not know it was an option. Any trailer we have looked at they are list as std equipment and I would not have one without just in case you had a no power situation

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #15

I remember one Christmas dinner that was saved by the RV's oven. Lost power in the house, so we simply went outside, turned the gas on and fired up the trailers oven to cook the turkey. Sure can't do that with those new fangled convection doo dads
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Nothing like a Jalapeno pie in the morning. Can't do it in the micro.
Sounds YUMMY. Please post the recipe and I may be tempted to use our oven for the first time.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

In our old TT, we used the oven exactly once...mainly to see if it actually worked. It did. We almost always BBQ and nuke things in the microwave. However, in the new digs, we have used the oven a number of times. Primarily when our oven in the house tanked. Having the one in the 5er as a backup was great. It sure cooked a great Peach Cobbler! Had the whole driveway and back porch smelling like Grandma's kitchen!

Anyway, as little as we use it while actually camping, I don't think we'd go without it either. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Safety caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
It also works as a heat source, if you're desperate! Randy
I see this "temp fix" lot and as a former military safety officer should mention the problem with this "emergency" solution. Newer RVs are pretty "tight" and more heavily insulated than older ones and they come with their own set of problems in this situation.

Every few years you will read about tragedies where a family is killed while camping by carbon monoxide poisoning. Usually caused by using propane fired heaters in enclosed spaces or cabins, it can be just as deadly when using propane fired stove and oven for emergency heat in an RV.

You MUST provide ventilation when doing this. I know it sounds counter intuitive to open a window when you are trying to heat the camper, but no matter how blue the flame is; not all of the propane is being completely consumed into CO2 and Water Vapor.

To help keep water vapor from soaking the walls and freezing the windows; as well as CO from poisoning you and your family:

1) MAKE SURE YOUR CO DETECTOR is working! (ours is in the bedroom). Install one if you have an older rig that did not come with one.
2) crack an upper vent about an inch.
3) Open a lower window about an inch

This will allow the water vapor and CO to leave the camper, yet not add so much cold air that the propane flames can't keep up. It will still be cold in there (bundle up), but you should wake up in the morning.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #19

I KNOW THIS. I figured after posting that somebody would spot that.... That's why I did say "If your'e desparate". Normally, not a good idea; but it IS a temporary heat source, in a pinch, WITH some outside ventilation, to stand corrected. We sometimes light our gas burners to take the immediate chill off- probably 5 minutes max- in a 30 foot camper, that's not gonna kill anybody. Do you open a vent or window every time you cook in the camper's oven or stove? I don't for that specific purpose, or haven't in 3 years yet at least, unless it's hot inside and I run the AC, or have the door open. Also, I have a properly working CO detector. Never heard it go off, except to test it. Thanks for the insight, however. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I know that I am more prone to leave the pilot lite lit during cold weather and keep it off during hot weather. Using the stove for my morning coffee, and the oven for breakfast biscuits does help heat up the camper some. Nice little added bonus.