Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #21

Congratulations on your new Toy!

We are spending it because we cant take it with us. And when we can "afford" to buy these kind of things we will probably be too old to make it up the first step.

We just went for broke and bought a 2014 3010 DS.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Congratulations on your new Toy!

We are spending it because we cant take it with us. And when we can "afford" to buy these kind of things we will probably be too old to make it up the first step.

We just went for broke and bought a 2014 3010 DS.

Congratulations on your new rig ParPar!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Well, here we are waiting to take delivery on a new CC36 ckts, two of our adult children are happy for us and one is a downer.
They called last night and were questioning if we had thought this through. That this was a huge chunk of our retirement money. What if we get ill?

What do they care? I guess we should just get a pair of recliners and sit in front of the tv.
The funny thing was though that we are a little apprehensive ourselves now that we are ready to pay for it. But not enough to not do it!
We have wanted to do this for twenty years and have been looking seriously for 2 years. Wait till they hear we are thinking about selling our home and full timing it.
Heaven help you if you have even the slightest remark about their lives.
Altho you don't want unhappy children, the one that is raising objections is not thinking about you and your wife, but themselves. Did they contribute to your retirement? If not, bottom line, it's none of their business. If they contributed, I would give them their contribution back and tell them to enjoy their money and we'll enjoy ours. We joke with our 2 boys (51 & 45) that we're pissing away their inheritance and enjoying every minute and dime.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #24
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Go for it !
Have fun and live life to the fullest!
Cant live on what ifs.
Sounds like someone's worried about there inheritance? Sorry...

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
I fully agree. Invite the downers over to help you load it up for your first trip and wave goodbye to them as you pull.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
What if you get ill? ppppfffffftttttt

<biting tongue

It is YOUR life, it is YOUR money to spend as YOU choose.

IMO, the downer should worry about his/her own "what ifs".

LOL, buy it and put that bumper sticker on it that states:

Spending Our Kids Inheritance!
I so agree with this!!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Life is short! Go for it! I am jealous and wish we could just pick up and go in our "new" toy hauler.... got it August 2013 and have only spent 5 night max in it! WORK SUCKS!! Cant wait to join y'all outon the road. BE SAFE!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #27

Say what I say your my kids I'm not yours I tell you how to live your lives you don't tell me. Do what makes you happy worry about the what if's after they happen, my aunt and uncle never went anywhere or did anything but sit on the porch and watch the world go by. I personally don't want to watch I want to be going by, so many things to see and do that you can't do from the passenger seat of a plane, although that is a one time trip I want, fly cross country and see the country from a plane. Enjoy your retirement live it up you've worked hard you deserve to enjoy. Wow now I sound like what my mom told me 20 yrs ago never thought it would come to this.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #28

My dad always said "whomever has the most toys when they die wins!" I live by that still today (within reason of course).....my kids can earn their way just like I did, and if anything is left when I go they can have it (doubt it will be much). Like everyone else here said ENJOY!
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #29

Don't let them borrow it.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #30

You are so right about the best options to pay for our 5th wheel. We decided we would make payments rather then buy it outright because it made more sense.
The house is also something to think about. Do we want to continue to have this residence when we will be away? But still paying taxes, lawn care, insurance, etc?
Or do we sell the house and put our stuff in storage for a few years while we travel? A lot to think about. But right now, I just want to think about the 5th wheel and enjoy this moment. Hubby doesn't retire until the end of the year and having the 5th wheel now, we can take short trips and be ready next year.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #31

Just wait until the disapproving child has to pay the water and power bill after you camp out in their drive for a month, eat all the food in their fridge, and criticize their decisions, all, while enjoying these benefits.

Maybe that's what their worried about.??????

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much room" Git-r-done.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #32

Caveat: This is just thinking out loud. I don't know anyone from Jack here on the forums, so this is in no way meant to be judgmental or and indictment, so here goes:

Since we have only heard one side of the story, I'll play devil's advocate. Maybe the objecting party is hurt because you worked your life away while they were young and you never prioritized them??? There are worlds of people that act as if their kids are nothing more than burdens they must deal with until they can get them out of the house. Possibly the objecting party is a little "jealous" that all of the extra hours you worked year after year claiming to be "taking care of the family" was really nothing more than cash hoarding to use selfishly when they were gone when you could have been spending time with them???

Thank the Lord this is not my story- and I'm doing my best to make sure it's not my kids story. But I've seen it a lot. Very sad indeed.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #33
Minnesotan

Just 2 weeks ago I helped my Dad and his wife pack up and put in storage the stuff they wanted to keep from their home. The house had become a financial burden. This winter it cost over $900 to heat per month. They are snowbirds at heart. They'll be here in MN in the summer and AZ in the winter. If they ever need to they are welcome to stay with me.

The only thing I've asked is they have a living will, funeral and burial desires documented.

Life is short do whatever you can to enjoy it! YA just never know that disapproving child might be coming to visit you in the RV.

Katie
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #34

Many is the family where the parents spent all of their money on traveling around and 'seeing' the world and 'frivolous' things. In their old age when they were broke, it was their adult children of the parents who had to decide if the 'parents were to live with the children or which medi-care/aid state supported home was going to change their parents diapers...

You will grow old and either your children or the courts will have power-of- attorney over you and decide where you are to live and where you are to die.

Sell everything and become a Gypsy and a Roma. Live the dream of the road, but with every dream there is the flip side of a nightmare, with many bumps. It is easy for all of those 'here' to say 'go for it'...... but how many of those are doing full time what you propose to do? ???

Don't know your full situation and don't want to know. But for many couples who do what you propose and succeed, a vast many more will fail. Go slow and test the waters before you cut that land line.

If the Administrators want to delete this post, it is fine with me, do it. Just don't send me a private message of being a 'downer' to the readers of this forum, I am only pointing out that there is a flip side.

"In every mans life, a little rain will fall. But it is the rain that makes all Life grow."

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #35
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschultz View Post
Just 2 weeks ago I helped my Dad and his wife pack up and put in storage the stuff they wanted to keep from their home. The house had become a financial burden. This winter it cost over $900 to heat per month. They are snowbirds at heart. They'll be here in MN in the summer and AZ in the winter. If they ever need to they are welcome to stay with me.

The only thing I've asked is they have a living will, funeral and burial desires documented.

Life is short do whatever you can to enjoy it! YA just never know that disapproving child might be coming to visit you in the RV.

Katie
You sound like a loving daughter and put your parents needs/desires ahead of your own.

I just wish I had both of my parents around still.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
Site Team

Bro les. Well said. There are several views to consider. I think op has lots of good insight here to reference.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #37

Bro Les,

X2 - you have good points and I agree with them!

I have always dreamt of fulltiming it but before DW and I ever do that, we need to take that 3+ month road trip to Alaska and back.

If we survive THAT maybe we can consider 3/4 time at least
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #38

If you get ill? You'll get ill whether you're on the road or sitting at home. If you get too ill? Sell the rig.

I can understand the worry, but don't let them hold you back from your dreams. It's not like you're taking up base jumping or something similar. With modern communication situations it's not like you'll ever be much more than ten digits away.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
CCRVOC

Our 3 grown kids were at first a little shocked and sadden that we would not be around for the holidays/birthdays like our tradition have always been. They asked allot of questions and what ifs...But as we transition through this process of downsizing so we can sell our house, they are all on board and support our decision to full time and see America the Beautiful. And one said when we are tired or can no longer live the full time life we can stay with his family. Not that any of this is easy (especially getting rid of stuff and the thought of not being physically close to our family), but it is an exciting time of our life and we feel blessed that our kids are supportive.

p.s. The kids also know there is no inheritance, so they better get what they want out of the house, cause that's it !
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
If you get ill? You'll get ill whether you're on the road or sitting at home. If you get too ill? Sell the rig.

I can understand the worry, but don't let them hold you back from your dreams. It's not like you're taking up base jumping or something similar. With modern communication situations it's not like you'll ever be much more than ten digits away.

That's right. Plus, there are services like those offered by Good Sam that will assist you with all types of things like finding doctors, getting emergency transportation home and even taking care of your pet if there's an emergency on the road. For people who need that sort of peace of mind there are plenty of safety nets available out there for a little extra cash.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote