Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #1

Over coming Family objections

Well, here we are waiting to take delivery on a new CC36 ckts, two of our adult children are happy for us and one is a downer.
They called last night and were questioning if we had thought this through. That this was a huge chunk of our retirement money. What if we get ill?

What do they care? I guess we should just get a pair of recliners and sit in front of the tv.
The funny thing was though that we are a little apprehensive ourselves now that we are ready to pay for it. But not enough to not do it!
We have wanted to do this for twenty years and have been looking seriously for 2 years. Wait till they hear we are thinking about selling our home and full timing it.
Heaven help you if you have even the slightest remark about their lives.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Go for it !
Have fun and live life to the fullest!
Cant live on what ifs.
Sounds like someone's worried about there inheritance? Sorry...

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

You have worked hard all your life you deserve to spend your retirement your way and they need to understand that. My wife and plan on doing the same thing when we retire.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
NELA

What if you get ill? ppppfffffftttttt

<biting tongue

It is YOUR life, it is YOUR money to spend as YOU choose.

IMO, the downer should worry about his/her own "what ifs".

LOL, buy it and put that bumper sticker on it that states:

Spending Our Kids Inheritance!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Go for it !
Cant live on what ifs.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Eggzachary! I was struggling with how to say the same thing in a nice way.

Sounds like the kids want to take over the "nest egg" the OP has built, squat on it and make sure it's still there when....

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #6

Just go have fun you wanted to do this for 20 years and have been doing your home work for two sounds to me like you are ready to hit the road
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Campfire Master

At some point in all of our lives, we won't be able to do this sort of stuff. And when I get there, I don't want to look back at a life full of regrets.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

Here is the way I see it, I worked for it, I earned it, I can spend it anyway I want. That being said you must have worked hard for that money it is time to have fun. Now for the question are they jealous of what you have or what you are doing? They have their life, you should live yours.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Sewhappy;583323]Well, here we are waiting to take delivery on a new CC36 ckts, two of our adult children are happy for us and one is a downer.
They called last night and were questioning if we had thought this through. That this was a huge chunk of our retirement money. What if we get ill? QUOTE]

What if you don't do this, and in a couple of years you get too ill to even consider it? Look at what you would have missed. If worst comes to worst, you could always sell the 5er and go back to a "normal" retirement - whatever that is.

Sounds like you have thought it out for a long time, and at least for two years very seriously...likely longer than many people who have made a similar buying decision.

Your kids are grown. They have their own lives to live. You raised them to adulthood, so you have certainly done a fair amount for them. Time to do this for the two of you. Go for it, and
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Let's give their kids a benefit of a doubt.

I doubt that their adult children our worried about a loss of inheritance. That's a dynamic that I just do not see in real life too often (my day job is managing money so I get to see these things play out at all levels of wealth and rarely have I seen children that blatant).

My guess, and only Sewhappy knows for sure, is that the kids are worried the purchase could impact their folks' cash flow later in life and so cause issues if the money was needed for health care costs or other costs and not there.

Understandable concern but its an unnecessary worry. I find most people make wise decisions on big purchases later in life. The saying that "tigers don't change their stripes" applies to most retirees. That is, if they were prudent in how they made their purchase decisions over the last 40 years, than they tend to be prudent throughout retirement. The kids just need to trust their folks that they continue to be smart in these decisions.

@Sewhappy- good for you with this change! 20 years is a long time to have waited and no doubt you'll enjoy the new trailer even more because of it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Go for it !
Cant live on what ifs.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
X3

Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #12

It's great that all three kids have your best interest in mind and they all have their own way of expressing it.
If you are not sure and it turns out maybe a smaller rig or a different lifestyle is needed, there is only one way to be sure - go for it and find out.

Unless you are planning to tow up to the middle of Alaska, no matter where to go health care is available and you can just keep a copy of your records with for extra insurance.

Also, looking at your rig, you did get a couple of easy chairs and a TV - so you can do that, just in some really nice places.

Now get out and have fun. You've earned it just in raising such a caring crew.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #13

Triguy, you are correct. The kids are worried about us and not their inheritance. It is just funny that when you see them doing something you think is not a good idea, you better keep your mouth shut!
Look, life is short and this is our time to do what we want. This camper has made us excited about our future!
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Well, here we are waiting to take delivery on a new CC36 ckts, two of our adult children are happy for us and one is a downer.
They called last night and were questioning if we had thought this through. That this was a huge chunk of our retirement money. What if we get ill?

What do they care? I guess we should just get a pair of recliners and sit in front of the tv.
The funny thing was though that we are a little apprehensive ourselves now that we are ready to pay for it. But not enough to not do it!
We have wanted to do this for twenty years and have been looking seriously for 2 years. Wait till they hear we are thinking about selling our home and full timing it.
Heaven help you if you have even the slightest remark about their lives.

You guys are living our dream -- a dream we plan to fulfill in 2 years when I retire

Something you may want to discuss with your children is how RVing will keep you more active and in better health than just sitting around the house and not doing too much. This may help as well.

You could also discuss the purchase with your financial advisor and determine the best strategy for paying for the RV - sometimes cash up front is less preferable to a loan paid through a investment account (and thus allowing you to take the interest as a tax deduction again, not offering advice, just something you might want to discuss with a financial professional (ditto on the house...a 1-2 year lease now may be preferable to outright sale
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As I told my kids, I will get you to a point in life where you are stable, self-sufficient, and headed in the right direction, after that, I want the last check I write to bounce!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #16

imo. You should have started traveling/camping like this on family vacations over 20 years ago. Buying a camper is not the same as using a camper. There is a learning curve and 'stuff' always 'happens'. (I have had my unit back at the Dealer 5 times since I have bought it last June and it is there right now because of slide issues) Many things will break, get tore up and will simply not work. Can you fix everything from bumper to bumper, because if you can not you will be paying top dollar to have someone else to it. You and your kids (grown now) have missed out on a lot of good memoir making times. Get your unit and get your grown kids to go with you a time or two so all of you will know what is going on and are comfortable with it. Having FUN is a lot of hard work. The unit, when out on the road is only your 'base camp'. It is possible that you could get 'burned out' in a very short time. I just got back from 'Spring Break' and laid out around 4,000 dollars for a little over a week. I would suggest getting your unit and after the bugs have been shaken out take a two or three month long 'road trip'. My mother and father-in-law have traveled all over this country and were snow birds in the Rio Grand valley (TX) for seven/eight years. They liked doing and making new friends, but they always wanted to be 'home' because of all of the 'events' that were happening in the family as a whole. They still have their camper and only take it out when the family 'herd' camps. They have no 'want/ desire' to travel or be a snow bird any more because of the work load (a family member will pull their camper for them) and most of the friends that they made in 'The Valley' do not come or are able to come any more or have died. Take it slow and make a sound decision, but know that there are down sides. yesterday is gone forever, tomorrow will never come. So "Carpe Diem" (Seize the Day), because it is all that we have.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
Site Team

Children's concerns may be legitimate. It is a big decision and a lot of money. But... its your decision to make and if, after a year, you find that you don't have the excitement, thrill and anticipation for the next trip that many of us feel daily, you can sell the thing and count your losses. But my money says you'll love it. The fact that you're excited about getting an RV tells me the bug has bitten! Lol. Enjoy it. And involve the kids in a local camp out so they can experience and share in your excitement.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Triguy. I'm probably about the same age as the OPs kids. With one parent retired, the other semi, several aunts and uncles retired, I do tend to worry about them spending outside their means. Most of them don't have pensions and are only living off their retirement savings with projections that those are going to dry up long before they do. Costs just keep going up but savings don't grow at an equal pace. Most likely the OPs one kid is thinking along the same lines.

Now I also think the OP has this well in hand if they're looking to sell and full time. Dropping the expenses associated with a home as well liquidating any available equity is going to go a long way to offsetting the cost of a buying a trailer. Probably even come out a little ahead. Heck, even I'd like to go full time now (especially after last winter) but I realize the practicality of having a stable location so the kids can have a good education. (I've seen DW spell. )

So go for it, have fun, and many happy adventures.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #19

Every time my parents went on a cruise or took a trip overseas they always joked, "We're spending some of your inheritance." My sister and I told them go ahead, we don't want a dime. Like you they worked for it and should enjoy it. You stated," We have wanted to do this for twenty years and have been looking seriously for 2 years." Then do it and !!!!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #20

Instead of worrying about my mother overspending, I have trouble getting her to spend money. She lives in a retirement community where all of her needs will be taken care of for life. It's already paid for. Yet she worries about spending any of her available cash, which she doesn't really need.

She says she hates to just throw away money. I tell her that if you spend money and get something in return that you need or enjoy, it does not constitute throwing the money away. Still trying to convince her.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote