Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #41

When I started this thread, I was really just blowing off steam because I was tired of the one kid being a downer and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
And yes, I was second guessing it myself. However, every so often ( more often as we age) we lose a friend or family member, too young and we are reminded how short life is.
My father in law moved in with us 6 years ago so we know all about aging. He sits and watches tv and has for the last twenty years. He is in good health but is always worrying about tomorrow. Not how we intend to be.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #42

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Live long enough to be a burden to your children...I plan to.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #43
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
DW and I just did the exact same thing. I say, go for it. We worked and saved 41 years for this and I'm going to love every mile I put on it.
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #44

My bumper sticker!

"This is the M/H my kids bought us, they just don't know it yet."
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #45
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
I already am!

But, my daughter reminded me years ago, "Remember, I'm going to be picking your nursing home".

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
As I told my kids, I will get you to a point in life where you are stable, self-sufficient, and headed in the right direction, after that, I want the last check I write to bounce!
and, if that one bounce s don't worry I'll give you another just like it
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #47
phat phrog stunt crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
My dad always said "whomever has the most toys when they die wins!" I live by that still today (within reason of course).....my kids can earn their way just like I did, and if anything is left when I go they can have it (doubt it will be much). Like everyone else here said ENJOY!
Just to clarify, whomever dies with the most toys is just the former owner. To the op, you know what you can afford and what you can't. Is the downer person a worrier by nature? Perhaps its just their nature to look at the glass mostly empty.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
When I started this thread, I was really just blowing off steam because I was tired of the one kid being a downer and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
And yes, I was second guessing it myself. However, every so often ( more often as we age) we lose a friend or family member, too young and we are reminded how short life is.
My father in law moved in with us 6 years ago so we know all about aging. He sits and watches tv and has for the last twenty years. He is in good health but is always worrying about tomorrow. Not how we intend to be.
I am 49 and right there with ya. Friends dying young, parents dying, DW with a cancer scare and just slowing down in general. ----Watch the movie Last Vegas----.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiniii View Post
My bumper sticker!

"This is the M/H my kids bought us, they just don't know it yet."

There might not be a tomorrow and you can only plan so much. Enjoy life while you can, and while you have the money too. Just dont go stupid about it and end up losing everything you worked for.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #49

I grew up camping with my grandparents and cherish those memories. I learned a lot from them and they were very influential in my raising. Remember that many parents are just trying to stay afloat these days- the wisdom that the younger generations can learn from you grandparents is invaluable, but they won't get that guidance if you aren't there. Keep in mind that to enjoy RVing you don't have to abandon your family. Maybe consider a home base near the kids and grandkids and make runs to destinations??? You get to see the country that way and still be with family regularly. Just a thought….
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #50

About 4 years ago, I realized that my kids were growing up VERY quick (they are 13 and 10 now). As a family, we're doing all the "right" things by saving, investing in their college funds, investing for our retirement (pre and post tax), and going on vacations about every 3 years for "childhood memories". I then told my wife my logic... we're doing all the "right" things for later, however I want to divert 2% off of post-tax investments for a "here and now fund". Thus, we started out camping journey! We started with a TT and then upgraded to a Class A. I haven't looked back since! It was the BEST investment for my family's "childhood memories" which I could have done!

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #51

Quote:
You say that now most likely tongue in cheek. Tomorrow or the day after, it may not be so funny.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #52
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Go for it !
Have fun and live life to the fullest!
Cant live on what ifs.
Sounds like someone's worried about there inheritance? Sorry...

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
X2, that's what it sounds like to me. If we all worried about the "what ifs" in our lives we'd be afraid to do anything. You earned it and the it's none of the kid's business.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
X2, that's what it sounds like to me. If we all worried about the "what ifs" in our lives we'd be afraid to do anything. You earned it and the it's none of the kid's business.
I'd reconsider that viewpoint. You might need your kids one day. If you've been a selfish inconsiderate parent, you might have raised selfish inconsiderate kids. Doesn't sound like the kind of people I'd want making decisions about where to put me should I not be able to take care of myself one day.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #54

I can see the kids side IF (and that is a big if) you are in your late 80's or 90's and have medical problems that need a doctors constant care.
Other than that thank them for their concern and go and enjoy this time of your life. We have had to slow our trips down to take care of my Father. But we still have planned 2 trips for a week each and a few with the grandchildren this summer.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #55
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'd reconsider that viewpoint. You might need your kids one day. If you've been a selfish inconsiderate parent, you might have raised selfish inconsiderate kids. Doesn't sound like the kind of people I'd want making decisions about where to put me should I not be able to take care of myself one day.
If that were the case, I'd reconsider. I hope you weren't making assumptions.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Well, here we are waiting to take delivery on a new CC36 ckts, two of our adult children are happy for us and one is a downer.
They called last night and were questioning if we had thought this through. That this was a huge chunk of our retirement money. What if we get ill?

What do they care? I guess we should just get a pair of recliners and sit in front of the tv.
The funny thing was though that we are a little apprehensive ourselves now that we are ready to pay for it. But not enough to not do it!
We have wanted to do this for twenty years and have been looking seriously for 2 years. Wait till they hear we are thinking about selling our home and full timing it.
Heaven help you if you have even the slightest remark about their lives.
Without knowing the actual intent behind their behavior & other related factors we can only guess. If you have thought this through and there are no red flags go for it and have fun!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #57
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post

Seriously? it's considered being "a selfish inconsiderate parent" to want to enjoy the fruits of your *own* labor over the years? Is it inconsiderate to want to ENJOY your after-raising-children years?

If so, then by golly I'm one helluva inconsiderate parent. I guess I'm just fortunate that OUR children don't see it that way. I have three grown sons, DH has two grown sons, and not ONE of them begrudged our choice to start early with our retirement plans to purchase an RV and travel.

We both have always put our kids first (one thing that immediately garnered my admiration for him) and "did the responsible and right thing".

If any of our sons had objected we'd have firmly reminded them that we worked HARD to support them emotionally and equally HARD to support them financially, and since we've always been so responsible, there's no reason to believe we're suffering from early senility. /snark So, we're DOING this with or without your approval. "If you behave yourself, you *might* get an invite to go along with us for a trip or two!" If not, we'll just ground you from the RV!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #58
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Seriously? it's considered being "a selfish inconsiderate parent" to want to enjoy the fruits of your *own* labor over the years? Is it inconsiderate to want to ENJOY your after-raising-children years?

If so, then by golly I'm one helluva inconsiderate parent. I guess I'm just fortunate that OUR children don't see it that way. I have three grown sons, DH has two grown sons, and not ONE of them begrudged our choice to start early with our retirement plans to purchase an RV and travel.

We both have always put our kids first (one thing that immediately garnered my admiration for him) and "did the responsible and right thing".

If any of our sons had objected we'd have firmly reminded them that we worked HARD to support them emotionally and equally HARD to support them financially, and since we've always been so responsible, there's no reason to believe we're suffering from early senility. /snark So, we're DOING this with or without your approval. "If you behave yourself, you *might* get an invite to go along with us for a trip or two!" If not, we'll just ground you from the RV!
Man, you read my mind but I figured I'd keep it short and sweet. Well said. Now, on the flip side, if I pull my pants down at the MAC machine or argue with the hot dogs in the grocery store then my kid can intervene.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #59
Disney camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
At some point in all of our lives, we won't be able to do this sort of stuff. And when I get there, I don't want to look back at a life full of regrets.

John

Well said... I had older gentleman tell me that same thing before. I am 46
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

And you and your family are a responsible loving family, my friend, some are not.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote