Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Overnight Camping While Traveling Advise Needed

I am looking at either an older model motor home or a tow behind to travel the east coast in March. Any advise, good or bad sure would be appreciated. So far all I have heard from my coworkers is that I'm better off staying in motels. I hate motels and am required to use them constantly in my line of work.

My plan so far is to travel to see the country a bit and not rush. I like the idea of having cooking and toilet facilities with me. How difficult is it to find places to camp and find places to stay en route? How expensive are these sites on average?

Also, any*particular brand of trailer or motor home to avoid? Or to seek out?

Sure would appreciate assistance. I'm really a water dog and know boats inside and out but these campers are new to me.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

While en route, if you are just pulling over for the night, you can use camp Walmart. most Walmarts will let you park and sleep in your rig. Not everyone does, but it is polite to let the manager know, and if you need a few supplies get them there. some walmarts have even put in RV electrical plugs so Ive heard.

Flying J truck stops are another option, and I believe Camping world too?

If you want a real site, then there are lots of RV parks out there, so theres generally always somewhere to park for the night.

Not sure if this is what yiu meant by en route, but I hope your trip works out great!
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

I did not realize this re the Walmarts! En route meaning that I want to take a slow drive during the day and park at night, ending up at my uncle's place in Miami. I am not so much into camping to get away from it all, I have acreage and a beautiful country setting where I live. I want to do it to see my country.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #4

Definitely would rather travel and see the country with my travel trailer. Cheaper than motels, fix your own meals. State forest and Parks are usually cheaper than campgrounds. I live in the east and a lot of the campgrounds don't open until around mid April. Camp walmart and flying J are always good options if you can't find a campground.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Motor home, you are stuck seeing the country in it. If you want to stay and visit an area for a few days, you will be forced to take the motor home, or in other words, tear down and set up every day. You also said "tow behind", so what do you have to pull it with? That will put some limits on your choices. Campground fees average $50 per night, depending, for full hook ups. State parks are less, around $25, at least in NC, but you may only have electric and water, with a dump station on the way out. Give us a little more info, we'll help you out.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #6

Towing is not an issue. My tow vehicle is a low mileage truck with a Cummins that I purchased new and have kept stored for years other than when I haul my boat, which brings me to another concern. If I decide to go motor home, I can tow my boat, however, it won't be until I retire when/if that occurs. I found a mid 90s Ford "C" motor home with a V-10 which has low mileage, owned by a couple of ladies. It's around 13k asking price. The first trip will be the east coast but time will be limited to less than two weeks.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #7

My 2 cents

If you're looking to buy a motorhome, get something with a diesel in it. A buddy purchased a new class C with the V10 and could only get an average of 6 mpg. He kept it a year and traded it in for a diesel model and just about doubled his mpg. Intial costs are higher on new models for a diesel , fuel costs are lower, however used models are affordable. Just a thought.
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
If I decide to go motor home, I can tow my boat, however, it won't be until I retire when/if that occurs. I found a mid 90s Ford "C" motor home with a V-10 which has low mileage, owned by a couple of ladies.
If you towing a boat, just remember that you will be having to back that puppy in the water with your class C motor home....probably not an easy task. And that means breaking camp, getting your boat in the water, retrieving the boat, and making camp again.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

I had a long conversation with a few class a and truck/5th wheelers and I was a class a fan until I talked with a few.
It makes a lot more sense to get a 5th wheel and pickup truck.

first, only one engine to deal with , only one expensive registration (at least in PA trailers are $12/yr).
A diesel towing runs 10mpg or so, most class A's pulling a car do 5 or 6.
With 5ths you have a lot larger selection of price ranges, layouts, more storage.
if you need mech work on your tow vehicle you have a place to live with a 5vr and a lot more choices on where to get a pickup worked on than a motor home
you can only live in your motorhome. a pickup can do a lot more things when you're not camping (which would be what, 10-20 days a year? unless you full time)

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

Ditto on the 5th wheel. We have a 42ft. Wildwood Toyhauler with an F450 and love it. Even when not hauling toys the gargage space comes in handy for just about anything including table and chairs setup for those extra party goers. Nice to be able to leave it and take off in the truck when you need to.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #11

Well, you all make a ton of sense regarding the motor home vs camper. My requirements are quite minimal, generator, shower, toilet, sleeping and cooking. The only reason I was leaning toward a motor home is for ease of traveling i.e. not having to hook and unhook every day (usually do this alone), ease of parking when we stop en route etc.

Believe it or not I have given thought to what happens if we break down. Camper gives us a place to stay, motor home is stuck at a dealer's lot someplace. Never heard of a Toyhauler, but have been reluctant to look at 5th wheel due to the apparent height of the rig. My boat is 12 feet, so I have to watch it and the 5th wheels appear even taller.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #12

Most all 5th wheels including toy haulers are deigned to be under 13 ft. Many are under 12ft unless there is an AC unit on the front. My unit is 13ft 4 in. with a front AC so i can get under all the major highway bridges and tunnels. I'm sure there maybe some overpasses on remote roads it would not fit under but you can usually find that out ahead of time if planning a trip. Toy haulers are great because they are designed with a garage area (8 - 14 ft) with a ramp door to haul motorcycles, golfcarts, even those too, too small cars. When we don;t haul the bikes it just gives you plenty of space to throw stuff in and not worrying about bringing too much stuff. There are many garage configurations giving you more living space if that's what you need. Some have half size garages big enough to haul one full size motorcycle, others have side ramp doors. Very unique designs and very usefull. Many also come with bunks and queen beds that lift up out of the way so the space can be used for sleeping and entertaining. Take a look on the web. You'll be surprised at what is out there. The other thing too is most toy haulers come fully equiped with generators, auxillary fuel stations (to gas up your motorcycles), outside showers, washer/dryer hookups, cabinets in the garage, etc. as standard items. Very cool stuff. Take a look at the Raptors, Cyclones, Wildwoods, Vectors, etc. Oh and many are available as TTs also, doesn't have to be a 5th wheel. 5th wheels just pull better and are easier to maneuver, and give you a better ride in the truck.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #13

Places to stay while enroute: I was talking to my neighbor about this the other day. He said they have pulled into a Cracker Barrel and parked behind it in the large lots they have a some places. Just a suggestion....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #14

Thanks again, I'll check this stuff out. Need to hit the road shortly, duty calls.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #15

I would suggest the 5th wheel a lot more options for you ,thats my next choice . The hershey show is in september if you want a good deal on a new one takes about 2 good days of looking if youre unprepared so give yourself plenty of time and research before you go to get a good handle on what you want
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #16

I can't afford new at this time so I'll be shopping the curbside sales. I see so many of various brands and types in my travels that I don't have time to stop and look at them all. Are there any particular brands to avoid?