Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #101
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Last year for our Disney trip we tried Epenndy's 45mph theorem of travel distance (coining that!). We used it and arrived with in 5 MINUTES of our planned arrival! 1000 miles we traveled.
Ha! That's scarily accurate.

And I'm pretty pained to admit, we are slowing down now that we're house breaking my 3 year old. That kid has us stopping every 45 minutes or so.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #102
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ha! That's scarily accurate.

And I'm pretty pained to admit, we are slowing down now that we're house breaking my 3 year old. That kid has us stopping every 45 minutes or so.

We were lucky, our daughter (now 3.5) wanted to wear "big girl under wear" and that was all it took.. I swear it was like one weekend and she was trained... Had one accident within the first month and none after, not even on our trip to Disney. We stopped maybe every 1.5 to 2 hours to stretch, eat and hit the head.

I have been told us boy's are tough to train... Guess its because we cannot follow directions or even ASK for them!!! LOL

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #103
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
We were lucky, our daughter (now 3.5) wanted to wear "big girl under wear" and that was all it took.. I swear it was like one weekend and she was trained... Had one accident within the first month and none after, not even on our trip to Disney. We stopped maybe every 1.5 to 2 hours to stretch, eat and hit the head.

I have been told us boy's are tough to train... Guess its because we cannot follow directions or even ASK for them!!! LOL
We think we've turned the corner with him, but it was a long go of it. And he still gets playing and has accidents. But man, you're right- he was nothing like our daughter! She had 1 weekend of running around the house with her bare butt hanging out and she was good to go.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #104
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
I've never encounter any of 'dem bears.. I did get accosted by a roving band of miscreant squirrels once... Luckily they were fat from pine nuts so we could outrun them!

We are planning our trip to the UP in MI later this season. Already picking the areas we figure we will get to for the over nights at the truck stops.

Last year for our Disney trip we tried Epenndy's 45mph theorem of travel distance (coining that!). We used it and arrived with in 5 MINUTES of our planned arrival! 1000 miles we traveled. I'll keep on using them truck stops until I cannot anymore, and I'll be ok with being called cheap!
Those squirrels are truly hoodlums! I had a pair come up the steps and stare down the 70 lb German Shepard thru the door! They have no fear!

Ependydad should add a link of "Travel Theorems" to his blog!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #105
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We think we've turned the corner with him, but it was a long go of it. And he still gets playing and has accidents. But man, you're right- he was nothing like our daughter! She had 1 weekend of running around the house with her bare butt hanging out and she was good to go.
Tell your daughter that now and see how red she gets... I got some good black mail for our daughter... GOD HELP HER AND HER FIRST BOYFRIEND.....

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #106
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Anybody drive at night and sleep in rest areas during the day? Safety wouldn't be as big of an issue in daylight I'm thinking.
I have done this quite often. I've never thought of safety as an issue so much as it is an issue of convenience.
Often rest stops are packed full after sunset so I couldn't get in if I wanted, but the highways are light loaded and those roads through little towns are downright deserted.
Considerations are: temperature - while it might be cool enough to sleep at night with nothing more than a fan, daylight hours can be brutal with no air conditioning. Also, open fuel stops at 3 AM can be few and far between. Which reminds me, if you want to feel unsafe or vulnerable, try standing around pumping fuel at 3 AM in BFE while the local thugs loiter around. In fact, it was in just such an environment that the chip in my gas card was read and stolen.
There are pros and cons to just about anything you care to discuss.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #107

I have read the warning and just wanted to make a statement so there is no confusion, in Tennessee, you are allowed to carry a loaded firearm inside your vehicle at all times; with or without a carry permit. Tennessee changed their laws last year. (LEO)

Does anyone use any other privately owned establishments on a regular basis besides Walmart? Out local Cracker Barrel seems to always have one or two overnighters... We are fairly new and have not tried this yet? Thanks. Have enjoyed this thread!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post
I have read the warning and just wanted to make a statement so there is no confusion, in Tennessee, you are allowed to carry a loaded firearm inside your vehicle at all times; with or without a carry permit. Tennessee changed their laws last year. (LEO)

Does anyone use any other privately owned establishments on a regular basis besides Walmart? Out local Cracker Barrel seems to always have one or two overnighters... We are fairly new and have not tried this yet? Thanks. Have enjoyed this thread!

Pilot stations, flying J, any truck stop. Never had a problem.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Does this mean we can't have a Convoy?
We have only used CG for overnight . Have not driven far enough to deal a truck stop or rest area being suitable. With double cpap and summer travel AC and power is a must.

We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down."
Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #110
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post

Many Cracker Barrels are open to it. I've read of people staying at churches, Lowes, Home Depot, Sams Club- for these, I think they rarely ask for permission.

Along highways, the campgrounds closest to the highways almost always have easy pull-thru spots, too.

When it's late, I'm looking for whatever is most convenient and that I'll disturb neighboring campers the least.