Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Site Team - Lou

Own a New Keurig 2.0?

Forget about using your own coffee or "non-approved" K-Cups.

UNLESS:

Keurig 2.0 Hack
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Forget about using your own coffee or "non-approved" K-Cups.

UNLESS:

Keurig 2.0 Hack
I have found a lot easier way to do this that works perfect. All you do is cut the top off any approved top for the optical reader cut it along the edge, Leaving the top colors and little white or black ring on the edge. Just place it on top of the non approved k-cups and close the lid and brew your k-cup that you want. Easy to do. If you want I will post a picture. You can also go to WWW.RODGERSFAMILY.COM. web site. They have sued Keurig and green mountain coffee co. and won the law suite. They have a reader that snapps in the top and is a reader for any coffee k-cups. They will send you this reader free. Keurig tried to corner the market and sell there brands only. I like the SF Bay City brand made by them. Since I found out they don't start to ship until this week I came up with my way to beat the optical reader. You really don't think that the largest coffee company would let them do this. You might need a piece of tape on the bottom to hold it to the k-cup until you get this free reader.....Always away to beat optical readers.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

My "other" favorite web site:

Dead Simple Hack Allows for “Rebel” Keurig K-Cups | Hackaday
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Well that's what I figured out and use the whole top through. The best fix will be from Rodgersfamily. They tell me it just snaps to the top and you leave it. I have been looking for a small one for the trailer with like a 4 cup reservoir. Let me know if you run across one please. Seen single cup but like the reservoir idea better.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

the ONLY reason the 2.0 was launched was to change cup and keep profits at Keurig, absolutley zero advancement in coffee technology other than to keep you buying their own coffee.

Oh and to keep the smart people busy finding work arounds!
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

I guess TOWTA and I are the odd balls, neither of us like the Keurig coffee makers or their coffee. We've tried them several times on different occasions in other folks homes and we decided to stick with the old fashioned real coffee and coffee pots. Our boys were going to buy us one and we told them to save their money, we wouldn't use it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

We had a Cuisinart K-cup brew that was on it's last leg, and I considered replacing it with the 2.0. But when I found out that we couldn't use our own coffee, I went back to a drip maker with a thermal carafe.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess TOWTA and I are the odd balls, neither of us like the Keurig coffee makers or their coffee. We've tried them several times on different occasions in other folks homes and we decided to stick with the old fashioned real coffee and coffee pots. Our boys were going to buy us one and we told them to save their money, we wouldn't use it.

I think I'm even odder... neither my wife nor I like coffee. We only have a single cup maker in our house and camper for guests!

Funny thing- last year, we had 3 coffee drinkers with us and learned we only owned 1 mug in the camper. They literally had to wait for each other to finish their drinks.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think I'm even odder... neither my wife nor I like coffee. We only have a single cup maker in our house and camper for guests!

Funny thing- last year, we had 3 coffee drinkers with us and learned we only owned 1 mug in the camper. They literally had to wait for each other to finish their drinks.

Like lining up at the restroom!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Well you should shed some of that hard earned cash and get a couple of mugs and a small drip pot for your guest......

Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well you should shed some of that hard earned cash and get a couple of mugs and a small drip pot for your guest......

Wife did pickup a couple of mugs from a yard sale or thrift shop!

We're sticking with the single cup maker- it's too rare that we have > 1 coffee drinker with us. If they want coffee that bad, they can huff it up to the camp store! (That's happened too.)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

What I find humerous about the Keurig 2.0 is...the Carafe

When Keurig first came out a few years ago, their advertising mantra was "make each cup fresh! Why drink stale coffee from a pot?!"

As for us, we have the Cusinart with the water reservoir. You can partially fill the reservoir or if you are setup for several days, it will hold 80OZ of "Quality H2O "

It is a pricy unit, so shop around. We found ours at the Army PX on fire sale for $49 (Amazon prices are @ $160!)

Quality unit! We have 2 - one at the house and on in the 5er. The home unit has seen constant daily use for 3+ years now with narry a problem.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
What I find humerous about the Keurig 2.0 is...the Carafe

When Keurig first came out a few years ago, their advertising mantra was "make each cup fresh! Why drink stale coffee from a pot?!"

As for us, we have the Cusinart with the water reservoir. You can partially fill the reservoir or if you are setup for several days, it will hold 80OZ of "Quality H2O "

It is a pricy unit, so shop around. We found ours at the Army PX on fire sale for $49 (Amazon prices are @ $160!)

Quality unit! We have 2 - one at the house and on in the 5er. The home unit has seen constant daily use for 3+ years now with narry a problem.
Thanks that's a good idea, I'll wait til I go to Pensacola NAS in March...Thanks..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
Broken Toe

Pay attention Citizens! It's not every day you see a company commit suicide publicly like this. What Keurig forgot, is that other companies will still make their own k-cup brewers and you will soon see ads touting WORKS WITH ANY K-CUP!.

I haven't seen a company screw up this badly since radio shack decided to abandon their core market to try to become a cell phone dealer. I gotta walk by 5 kiosks and 3 stores in the mall selling cell phones cheaper than them just to get to Radio Shack, yet I get met with nothing but blank stares when tell them I want an antenna for my scanner.

I got $100 say Keurig abandons that "only approved K-cup" stance post haste.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

IMO, after drinking coffee for over 70 years, you still can't beat a regular coffee pot with either Folgers or Maxwell House.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #16

Your right cowracer. I bought a Hamilton Beach one cup coffee maker on amazon for $34.00 with a $6.00 credit and it comes with a filter to use regular coffee if you so desire.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
Site Team

This is a perfect example of corporate execs so into themselves they lose touch with the real world. Some wake up and some don't.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IMO, after drinking coffee for over 70 years, you still can't beat a regular coffee pot with either Folgers or Maxwell House.
I don't agree OC.... not only do I glamp in my fiver but I only drink fru fru coffee.... ie mocha caramel (tastes just like caffeinated hot chocolate) or cappuccinos. I just can't drink that plain stuff, never could tolerate it. I guess ways of making coffee are almost as varied as ways of camping.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #19

If I had drink Folgers or Maxwell House, I would give up coffee. Starbucks French roast only.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Not odd at all! Mr Coffee 12 cup and Maxwell House Lite! (Pocket the savings pay cash for the new TT!)
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote