Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I always use the RV Checklist app on my iPad for both arrival and departure. I've modified the checklists to suit us and our TT. We tend to do half the checklist the night before we leave which makes for a faster getaway in the morning particular if we have a long day of driving ahead.
I'll try to put everything up except the water hose, power cord, sewer hose. Lift the stabs/jacks, hookup to the truck(if the site is long enough). I wipe everything with an old towel before putting them back in their storage compartments.

Now, if it's raining or everything is wet, they get put in the back of the truck and gets dried out when we get home.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Site Team

As mentioned in the long check list above. Be sure to turn off the electric side of the water heater. This prevents burning it up when you plug in at home to clean or restock for the next trip as it will be empty if you drained water lines.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

what are these "batwings" you speak of??

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
what are these "batwings" you speak of??
Crank up roof antenna.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #25

One note is your trailer may move (roll) when you unhitch from the TV.

Be sure you always chock the wheels before you unhitch the TV when you get there and

be sure to hitch to the TV before you remove the chalks when your getting ready to head out.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
As part of the routine, everything has a spot and it always goes back to the spot. We do basically the same as already reported. Awning and electricty is last. Never dump the hot water tank, water will burn you as it is upwards of 140 degrees or so so not a safe practise. That can always be done in the driveway during winterization. Develop a flow and timing to get it done, nothing worse than the incoming camper sitting there waiting.

Kevin
When getting ready to leave, I don't worry about other campers waiting for us to leave if they've arrived before their check-in time. Sorry, but they'll just have to wait - we've paid for the time and I usuallly take every second if needed. I tend to forget things if rushed, such as securing the cargo and/or entry doors, putting the vent covers down or leaving something at the site. Most arrivals understand and will visit, or walk their animals until we leave.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

We're pretty good with bugging out but one thing I always do is stop right after we pull out of the RV spot and do another run-around...ensuring I didn't leave anything on top of the LP tanks (which I've done) or find one of the door stairs down (which we've done). I, also, do a brake check on the trailer with the little hand-knob on my electric brake controller. Finally, I'll do one quick scan at the RV site so ensure we didn't leave anything.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypoppins View Post
We have the same thing on our crank too. It works to help the old grey cells!
I'm not as uptown as ya. I use plain clothespins like in the pic below. I write on them reminders like antenna up, water heater electric switch, stairs down, and such. I attach these pins to my travel trailer coupler, so I can't hook my tow vehicle up to the trailer without seeing them...and being reminded.

They say that losing your memory is the second sign of old age. I can't remember what the first one is.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not as uptown as ya. I use plain clothespins like in the pic below. I write on them reminders like antenna up, water heater electric switch, stairs down, and such. I attach these pins to my travel trailer coupler, so I can't hook my tow vehicle up to the trailer without seeing them...and being reminded.

They say that losing your memory is the second sign of old age. I can't remember what the first one is.
How do you keep track of the clothes pins? Shoot, I'd forget where I put them.

That's why it takes me 2 days to break camp. One day to do everything and the next to check.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How do you keep track of the clothes pins? Shoot, I'd forget where I put them.
I keep the one to the antenna clipped on the crank handle, the one to the water heater inside the access cover to it, and the one to the stairs (I have two sets of stairs) clipped to the stairs when they are folded up. I only remove the clothes pins and put them on the coupler, if I use any of the aforementioned items.

A lot of camping trips, I only use the stairs to the main entrance and never extend the second set of steps at the bedroom, or use the electric heating element or extend the antenna.

Anyhow, these are just suggestions and the way I do it. Feel free to hate it.

You can always go the fancy route:

http://www.rvminders.com/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #31

A couple things on my list that I don't think were mentioned are locking down the stove vent flap as well as the propane tank cover flap. I've replaced them both from flapping off during travel. I've never been a big fan of the lock down thumb screws for the propane tank cover so I don't mess with them anymore and just lift the cover off when I need access.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
A couple things on my list that I don't think were mentioned are locking down the stove vent flap as well as the propane tank cover flap. I've replaced them both from flapping off during travel. I've never been a big fan of the lock down thumb screws for the propane tank cover so I don't mess with them anymore and just lift the cover off when I need access.
YES! that darn stove vent has got me a couple of times! Fortunately it is on the driver's side and I will see it banging away in the wind and am able to stop and secure it before it has broken.

Got a kick out of this "CheckList" at a campground we visited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	departure.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	80357  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #33

Thank you for the rv checklist app. It's .99 right now.
Takes us about 2 hours to do it all. We can't open it up at home so we have to clean and unload before we leave. We're still working on our system.
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
YES! that darn stove vent has got me a couple of times! Fortunately it is on the driver's side and I will see it banging away in the wind and am able to stop and secure it before it has broken.

Got a kick out of this "CheckList" at a campground we visited
Saw a sign like that in a small RV park in Flagstaff, AZ. last year, must be a common problem.......
Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #35

Wonder how many wives get left behind..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #36

We also use a checkliist. The only time we screw up is when people come over to talk with us as we are going through our pre-depature tasks. Now I have learned to stop what I am doing, have a short conversation, and then go back to the exact point on the checklist to finish. Working and talking doesn't work for me!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Left camp a week ago with a huge storm upon us, sheer force winds. Packed up in 15 minutes and the antenna was not down all the way. We never use the antenna but with tree sat did not work. It was put down by a tree somewhere leaving. I am going to just shorten the rods and all is good. The DW has never been left behind lol.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote