Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Packing up in the rain

Yes, we have all done it. It can be miserable at times if the rain doesn't let up. Most of us will have awnings that get rolled up soaking wet. That means opening the unit up again as soon as possible to get it dried out as soon as possible to avoid the "dreaded mildew". We were out last weekend with not a drop of rain when setup. The morning we headed out, lying in bed you hear that distinctive pitter patter of raindrops on the roof! Crap!!!! I know from past experience that mildew will start to develop within hours, especially in the heat. If you get at the staining early, most products will remove it.

So just wondering, are the vinyl awnings on the newer units better at resisting mildew stains? Any experiences with unrolling awnings that have been locked up with Mother Nature's moisture?

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

I can say our 2011 is no different then previous awnings, keep them clean. I am pretty fussy with these things and I still get a spot here or there. I think a lot if it is simply the humidity as well. If she is wet let her dry...
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

We just washed ours with a pressure washer (whole rv) from sitting all winter...we unrolled the awning and it was a little dirty(not mildew) the pressure washer with no soap cleaned it up real nice...I haven't had to deal with mildew on it...I know a light spray of bleach kills it elsewhere here..(we get a lot of humidity here in Florida)
Pamelaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

I happened to us on Memorial Day weekend. The last night there was a prediction for rain. I convinced my wife that it would be best to pack up the campsite before dark. We did all the packing and rolled in the awning before going to bed. All I had to do in the morning was disconnect the power, pull up the levelers, and hook up to the truck. I even had the bikes covered with a tarp. It started raining about 2 a.m. I really like that sound in our camper and I just rolled over and fell back asleep knowing all my stuff was dry.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

Having a TT sure beats the heck out of a tent when taking down in the rain. So I push a button to open the awning up at home to dry it out. Sure is a lot easier than finding the time and a dry day to put the tent up again. then take it down and try to fit it in that impossibly small bag!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote