Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Parts availabilty

I'm just checking to see if anyone else is having problems getting parts for their 2016 Forester. We purchased the unit June 15,2016. Took the unit back to the dealer on July 5,2016 to have them look at a few problems and order parts. Our local dealer, that we bought from, is 210 miles round trip away. They ordered parts and it is now Aug. 8th and the parts have not even been shipped from Forest River. I would think that in 52 days the parts should have been here and installed by now. I just hope that this is not a standard procedure for Forest River.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
DW's Retirement Plan

I've got a '17 Sunseeker and had some warranty work done a couple months ago - only took a week or so for parts.

What kind of parts were ordered?

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Forest River makes no 'parts', they put 'parts' together that were made by other manufacturers. When 'multiple' companies are involved, it takes awhile of the 'order' stream to go up and down the line. 'Forest River' may say 'yes' to a 'warranty' on 'parts', but these other manufacturers may say.... "I don't think so 'Tim'... I need to see what is what first".

After a few times of the run around and dog and pony show, you will find out that 'in the long run', it is cheaper and faster to by-pass 'warranty' work and to take it to the nearest trusted RV Repair shop and PAY IN CASH. From what I have found out is that the 'warranty' is not worth the paper that it is written on.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Forest River makes no 'parts', they put 'parts' together that were made by other manufacturers. When 'multiple' companies are involved, it takes awhile of the 'order' stream to go up and down the line. 'Forest River' may say 'yes' to a 'warranty' on 'parts', but these other manufacturers may say.... "I don't think so 'Tim'... I need to see what is what first".

After a few times of the run around and dog and pony show, you will find out that 'in the long run', it is cheaper and faster to by-pass 'warranty' work and to take it to the nearest trusted RV Repair shop and PAY IN CASH. From what I have found out is that the 'warranty' is not worth the paper that it is written on.
Wow... while I acknowledge many things as being true in the first part of your response, Brother Les, and it may be faster in the long run, depending on what the warranty item is, depends on whether or not some people want or can pay up front. My dealer, Keystone RV, has been outstanding on both units I have purchased. Personally, I would be insulting them if I didn't give them the opportunity to make things right first. Maybe my dealer is the exception rather than the rule, but I don't think I would exclude the dealer completely for warranty work.

Just my $0.02

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Don't believe that the dealer ordered the parts.
They often wait to order until it's a big enough order to save shipping costs.
Then they blame the manufacturer so the customer doesn't get mad at them.
Happens more often than you would think.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Parts availability

The dealer has copies of all emails and has order numbers for all of the parts. The dealer contacted Forest River by phone while I stood at the counter with them. I only heard one side of the conversation, but it seemed that the parts were sitting in shipping and had not been shipped for no reason. According to the dealer this was the 4th time she had heard this and was promised that the parts would be shipped that day. I'm not totally convinced that it's a dealer problem. That's why I ask if this was standard procedure for Forest River.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Don't believe that the dealer ordered the parts.
They often wait to order until it's a big enough order to save shipping costs.
Then they blame the manufacturer so the customer doesn't get mad at them.
Happens more often than you would think.
Maybe true. My dealer must order in volume, then. Once I advised of a problem and scheduled (and brought in for the work), I've never had to wait more than a week or two.
Once again,maybe they are the exception,not the rule.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
Old 08-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Wow... while I acknowledge many things as being true in the first part of your response, Brother Les, and it may be faster in the long run, depending on what the warranty item is, depends on whether or not some people want or can pay up front. My dealer, Keystone RV, has been outstanding on both units I have purchased. Personally, I would be insulting them if I didn't give them the opportunity to make things right first. Maybe my dealer is the exception rather than the rule, but I don't think I would exclude the dealer completely for warranty work.

Just my $0.02
As the OP stated 210 miles. Time is worth a lot. Taking a half a day or more on each 'trip', eats up a lot value. Where I bought my unit was over a half a day round trip also. Make several of these trips for minor warranty work is on the losing end of the value scale. Taking several of these warranty trips and waiting weeks from drop off to repair was joke on me. I knew the local RV Repair Center people from years past and it is close to my work. One call with a list of issues and was told to bring it in, in two days with my list. Drop off in the morning and was called by 2:00 to come and pick it up as all was done. No time off work.... no 4-5 hours of fuel burned and wear and tear, easily covered the 'warranty' work. This RV Center knows me, knew the unit and wanted my business and wants to keep it, the dealer is far away wanted a sell and then for me to go away. Some of the 'warranty' repairs at the 'dealer' were so shoe string half baked that when I asked about it and they 'bring it back' (and we, the dealer, will do subpar work and make you wait for your unit for a few more weeks) learned that lesson.

Blessings to You

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts