Old 11-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Passport America

Got an email about joining PA and get 1 year free. Any comments good or bad about Passport America?
Mike

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Do a quick search as there have been some recent discussions on this. Some members were happy and some were not, Read the free offer carefully as it may contain an automatic renewal clause.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

During a three yr period that DW wasn't working, we used it a lot, ... on several extended trips of over three months each, we'd go from one PPA participating cg to another on our way to different rally's, ... during that time, we got a taste of what retirement is going to be like, and I must say it tasted real good, ... I liked PPA enough that when it came time to renew, I bought the Lifetime membership, because I knew we would continue to use it plus a unique feature of the Lifetime is that it's one time transferable, ... meaning that when we're tired of the camping fun, we can pass that membership on to my son or anyone else we might choose and they will get to enjoy the 50 percent saving the same as we did, ... so of course we recommend it, but if you get many replies, you'll see that its not for everyone, ...

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

Many of the campgrounds are older and in out of the way places ! That is just the kind that we like ! You only have to stay for two or three nites to pay for PASSPORT . If you must go first class in prime season it may not be for you . Many very nice campgrounds honor Passport in of season .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

We joined PA for a year, but found the quality of their participating campgrounds generally unacceptable. We would come to the campground in the Passport America book, look it over, and decide it was better to pay a little more and stay somewhere else nearby. It's not that we require first class campgrounds, but we like something spacious and reasonably well maintained. We let the PA membership expire after one year.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
geezer with gadgets

We use PA often when we travel and have stayed in ones that were wonderful. Saved much more than the cost of the PA membership.

Also, we have stayed in ones that we would never go back to again.

Check out the reviews on their web site and see if they are going to be available in the areas where you might be traveling.

https://www.passport-america.com/

Happy travels...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

WE don't use it a lot, but we ended up doing the lifetime membership. We use it enough that it will pay for itself.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

It depends on your style of travel. There are exceptions, but most of the time it’s only good for a couple of mid-week nights. We rarely overnight and if we do, it’s Wallydocking in a parking lot. So we almost never get our money’s worth out of it.

But, I do check the site for locations and if they’re somewhere we want to go, I’ll call the park to ask about restrictions. If the membership saves me money on that reservation, I buy it for the year. If not, I don’t.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #9
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We used them for a year...renewed and only were able to use their offers once during the second year. For the most part, as has been stated the parks are off the beaten path and honestly many times the owners seemed irritated to have to honor the free night's lodging.

Now that we enter Phase II of retirement (wife is retiring in January) things may be different as we have a lot more travel planned. So - I'm open to looking at their participating parks and our travel routes and see what happens.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 121
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

Look at the participating campgrounds in the areas you will frequent. In our neck of the woods, we found them to be mainly substandard.
Sure, you can get your membership $$$ back in a few visits, but they will make you jump through hoops for it, and you will find yourself compromising. Read the fine print.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #11

Every time I see this I think "wow, what a deal!" But then I look at what is available along my usual routes and realize that I'm not apt to actually use it much. So I stand on the sidelines of the discussions.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Team

We've used Passport America before we retired and after we retired. We are quite happy with it and it always more than covered the membership costs.
BUT we never camped in peak times. Never in the summer, weekends or holidays. So PA worked well for us, both when we worked and now that we're retired.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #13

I wish we could get a free year offer from them. They are a good club to belong to. You'll find that most free offers will have an auto-renewal clause... but if you do not like it, cancel a month or two ahead of time.

We are members and find that some facilities are terrific and some leave a lot to be desired. But we are usually just looking for a good night's sleep. The small $44 per year membership normally pays for itself with two nights worth of savings.

There are a number of clubs out there... check them all out. We belong to two of them, our second being Good Sams...

Happy Travels!

Tom
TFoster20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFoster20 View Post
I wish we could get a free year offer from them. They are a good club to belong to. You'll find that most free offers will have an auto-renewal clause... but if you do not like it, cancel a month or two ahead of time.
Tom, Forest River Owner's Group just sent out a BOGO offer. Buy a year, get a year. So $44 for 2 years, it seems. (I didn't read the details, so I could be wrong.)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #15

Passport America

Hi guys I looked into this offer,that was emailed from this group about buying the Passport America card for $44 and receiving the 2nd year free. I actually contacted Passport America. And asked them about all the restrictions. And the only confusion I have is the majority of rv parks and campgrounds in Florida have so many restrictions, example: November through April cannot use discounts for PA, or only can stay 1 night using PA to have the discounted PA rate. or not valid for more that 3 night stays. Is it me or what is the purpose of this PA card? Thanks hope I can get some responses to why or not should I purchase it. And the majority of the campgrounds in this pass are actually mobile home parks and a lot of run down units. Also a lot of Restrictions were that the PA card rates were on good for selected sites? Just wondering who has these passes and are you happy. Thanks Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #16

I would suggest you look at their campground, and the reviews. Most of their campgrounds, I would not stay at.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
Hi guys I looked into this offer,that was emailed from this group about buying the Passport America card for $44 and receiving the 2nd year free. I actually contacted Passport America. And asked them about all the restrictions. And the only confusion I have is the majority of rv parks and campgrounds in Florida have so many restrictions, example: November through April cannot use discounts for PA, or only can stay 1 night using PA to have the discounted PA rate. or not valid for more that 3 night stays. Is it me or what is the purpose of this PA card? Thanks hope I can get some responses to why or not should I purchase it. And the majority of the campgrounds in this pass are actually mobile home parks and a lot of run down units. Also a lot of Restrictions were that the PA card rates were on good for selected sites? Just wondering who has these passes and are you happy. Thanks Jim
Basically the purpose is to get discounts at campgrounds outside of their "high use"/"peak" seasons. If you can travel outside of those times or work within the restrictions, it can be a money saver.

But yes, every park has its own set of restrictions and it's buyer beware to learn about them.

As I mentioned before, I don't just buy PA or renew it yearly until I have a specific situation where it would be helpful to use it.

And like anything, it'll have all kinds of parks- some good, some stinkers. Sometimes I want cheap, sometimes I want fancy, sometimes I want a specific location near something. All depends on what I need out of a stay.

Tags
sport