Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #21
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

We have the Wal-Mart for five years now and it works great. Sand, grass, pine needles, gravel,mud just rinse off with a hose. I need to buy the 8x20 rug myself since we upgraded a few years ago.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #22

Patio Mat vs. Carpet/Rug

We found out early, outdoor carpet is heavy when damp and holds mud and sand. I carry 2 of the 6X9 cheaper patio mats. Most of the time, we only use 1 for our outdoor patio experience and sometimes 2 when the site allows a bigger flat area. Camping in Florida and Georgia state parks give the rugs a run for the money withstanding rocks and tree roots. The 2 we have now have survived the last 5 years.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #23

@Airborne, we do nothing but dispersed camping, wood and dessert, and even lake side. Nothing has poked through it. Now I have tripped over a rock (or7) haha when they are under the mat. I try to put our little end table over where big rocks are so we don't trip as much. We have coleman camp chairs and they have never poked through.

2017 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS Solid Surface "Belle"
2010 Ford F150
"Life is Better in the Outdoors"
Days Camped 2016 - 28 days
Days Camped 2017 22days w/lots more planned
stoppercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #24

We got our first Patio Mat at Camping World during a sale so we got a good deal on it. After we bought our Rockwood with a 21' awning we picked up another one at Walmart of all places. it's well made and the price was right. Patio Mats are virtually indestructible and it sure helps to keep our trailer floor clean. We love ours.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #25

Thank you all for the replies. I have looked at all of the options you have put out there and have decided to go with a made in America product made by a small business where you can actually talk to the people who make them. J&J Sunshades makes great quality mats. I called them and let them know what I was after and they assured me their mat would work well for me and if it did not, send it back. Thanks again.
I will report in on how well it works for me.
rvmat.com | Our Mats
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #26

J&J is a Stand Up Family owned business! They supply Mats for LOTs of Hobbies "Dog shows/trade shows/Flea market Venders even RVers"! Made in the USA! Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #27

We purchased our patio mat from Wal-Mart four years ago and has held up great. Only issue was last year a squirrel chewed a hole in it trying to get to a nut but still looks good overall. I think we paid $45.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #28
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I have looked at all of the options you have put out there and have decided to go with a made in America product made by a small business where you can actually talk to the people who make them. J&J Sunshades makes great quality mats. I called them and let them know what I was after and they assured me their mat would work well for me and if it did not, send it back. Thanks again.
rvmat.com | Our Mats
Their website doesn't show any colours that they offer. Did they email you something to pick from? Seems odd that they don't put pics on their website. They must offer more than the one colour they show.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Their website doesn't show any colours that they offer. Did they email you something to pick from? Seems odd that they don't put pics on their website. They must offer more than the one colour they show.
Website says "Our Mats" click on it and go to Bottom,here it tells about "Colors"! Youroo!!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #30

@Itat; their colors change due to what colors are popular with the material manufacturer so as they say when you call in to place an order your mat most of the time will not be the same as others. They texted me the colors and patterns for me to choose from. They were willing to send me a sample but I just had them send me the colors that were brownish to go with my rig. My wife chose #108. They are making it today and shipping today. They have not yet even taken my credit card. I spoke to the owner who answered the phone and very friendly. Tina is her name, they do business the old fashioned way, it's nice but unusual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mats.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	144577  
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Website says "Our Mats" click on it and go to Bottom,here it tells about "Colors"! Youroo!!
This at the bottom of the "Our Mats" page:

"Our mats come in a variety of colors and styles. We have new mat colors coming soon. Until our new samples are posted here, please call for color and style availablity."

As Airborne wrote, you have to call them to find out what's available when you are interested in ordering. There seems to be a lot more pattern and colour options than your typical RV store variety mats.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #32

our main mat is the Walmart 9x12 and we have no complaints with it at all, ... but sometimes we also use another layer under that mat, ... its a 10x20 very heavy vinyl sheet(much thicker than a blue tarp), that was a vinyl billboard advertisement(we use it face down), ... it keeps the rv mat much cleaner and gives a more comfortable surface for bare feet, ... it does require a little more effort to put down and take up, but for us the results are worth it, also its very easy to sweep clean when taking up to travel, ... we only use it when going to be camped at a spot for an extended stay, not for just short weekends, ... found it several yrs ago at a real "junk" store in Cherokee, NC, they had about a dozen of various sizes, just whatever size they were when removed from the billboards, .... we love it

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #33

fella, that's exactly why I suggested to the OP to hold out from the quick decision, like Walmart, and look for the heavier style mat. Just yesterday I was at Walmart so I took a peak at their mats. For $48.99 I don't think they are any deal. I would guess their mats are about 1/3 the thickness of the one I bought years ago at CW. They're out there, but are now harder to find.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
rvmat.com | Our Mats
You won't be disappointed. We had seen them at the Tampa RV show two or three years ago (before we purchased a TT) and waited to purchase one at last year's Tampa RV show because the Walmart and CW mats just were not as nice. We are not sorry we waited. They threw in a smaller 6x4 ft. mat and a bag for storing and carrying them. We keep them under the bed with blow up beds, life jackets, and such.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote