Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

PDI

I will be picking up my new TT tomorrow (I know not a FR product) and when asked the dealer awhile back if it will be hooked up to water and electric to test everything and check for leaks, the service manager told me no because they do all that the week before the pickup unit.

Now, I have not dealt with this dealer but have seen/heard positive things about them. Of course, nothing is 100%. Not sure where in the lot the camper will be parked, if I brought my water hoses and a long extension cord. Of course with still cool temperatures, probably won't be able to test a/c unit.

They have also scheduled the PDI for only 2 hours. I have prioritized my questions based on owning my previous camper but if I need more time I fully intend to stay there and continuing asking questions.

Any comments/concerns from the esteemed members of the forum?
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

Given my lackluster experiences, I'm not sure that I would be satisfied trusting them to fully test things. I'd want the hookups even if they did the same the week before to prove to me that it is all legit.

My favorite PDI list is hosted on some angelfire site (Google for "PDI checklist angel").
Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

I would tell the dealer you expect it to be hooked up to water and electric so you can test everything yourself.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Like Wiscampsin, I would also insist on testing everything myself; including water and electric. Here's a PDI checklist you might find useful Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

You really only need the tech to spend their time with you showing the ropes. After their walk-through with you, you can do much of the rest yourself while still at the dealership and call them over when and if you find an issue. They shouldn't have a problem with that.

Good luck and congrats on your new camper!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #5

Our PDI was only scheduled for 2 hrs also. We actually waited an hour past our scheduled time to start ours. The dealer told us they had a couple before us that took longer than the 2 hrs scheduled for them. It was raining the day of our PDI so the TT was in a building. They did not hook it up to water but they did have it plugged in to electric. The tech went over everything front to back & he made sure he answered ever question thoroughly. Our PDI took about 1 hr because I was familiar with a lot of the items since my wife's grandparents owned a TT parked at a seasonal site and we would visit often & they left us use it a couple of times while they were not there. The tech made sure we knew everything and said he would spend as much time as we needed. Overall a great experience.

If you are in the Central PA area I recommend Tom Schaeffer's RV - PA RV Dealers - Starcraft RV, Carriage RV, Cruiser RV, EverGreen RV, Forest River RV, Keystone RV, SunnyBrook, Winnebago RV, Newmar RV, and More. I only have experience with the sales & store people. No experience with the service department yet. If you do go there ask for John.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Thanks to all.
The delivery went extremely well. There was remnants of fresh clean water in sinks, toilet and shower, so they had run clean water thru the system to check for leaks. They were just finishing washing the camper when we arrived.
When they took the TV to install my WDH, they covered the steering wheel with plastic as well as the drivers seat so it would get dirty.
There were two people to conduct the PDI and went through it pretty well with me asking questions.
There was a 30A outlet that the camper plugged into so we were able to operate everything.
Outside of the slide topper, power tongue jack and vent covers, the unit is stock. Now for the Mods!
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Great to hear!

with your new camper!!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #8

I thought our PDI went well when we took delivery of our 2014 Prime Time Crusader 325 . When the "tech" inside was trying to sell us ""upgrades..his partner was filling the fresh water tank..or ..so we thought ..we could hear water pouring on the floor ..the tech inside.. told the tech outside.. to "shut the water off"..1 week later our first trip camping...we could not fill the fresh water tank...our brand new 5th wheel had to be returned to the dealer the next day..Good Luck !!!

Tags
pdi