Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd also side with the dealer but I sure would make sure that if you do purchase the tt that they apply the $500 to the purchase of the camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
Canadian Member

Cleaning the trailer inside and out after the dealer receives it should be done regardless of whether or not they have a potential buyer. I would also argue that the dealer should be looking for any obvious issues with the trailer upon delivery from the factory. This is just preparing the unit for display on their lot.

However, all the detailed prep work and testing for a full PDI will wait for a buyer who's willing to put down a deposit. When the dealer commits to doing the PDI they are committing to putting you near the top of the line in their service shop and bumping someone else further down the line. I think it's fair that the dealer gets a financial commitment from you before doing that.

bconley, I absolutely sympathize with you on your apprehension about driving 500 miles to look at a trailer. If you've decided that this is the model of trailer you want and the pictures look good, you should offer a refundable deposit. Just make sure that the deposit is either refundable or transferable if something major is wrong with the unit. You'd want to agree in writing in advance on what constitutes a major problem. Also, before you make a commitment, be certain that you're willing to deal with this dealer. Do they have a good reputation? If you aren't going to use them for after-sales service, have you figured out how you'll handle that if needed?

If you aren't certain about this model and you're just looking, or you aren't even sure about the dealer, then just go and look at the trailer and the dealer without any commitment. Just know that you can't expect the dealer to rush their prep for your official PDI if you decide to buy the unit without having given them a deposit. You'd have to make a 2nd trip or stick around for a few days if they can commit to that kind of timeline for the PDI.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I concur with the majority. Dealer is right. That's a lot of work to prep a camper. Would be nice if you could take peoples word that they're going to show, but if you've ever sold anything on Craigslist you know that most people now days are complete losers and their word means nothing. And I just have to say this for those talking about a "refundable deposit"- that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. If you can get it back, it's not a deposit. That makes about as much sense as the guy wmtire was talking about in another thread wanting to leave a declined credit card as a "deposit" while they go get some cash!!!!! The only time one should expect to get a deposit back is if the dealer didn't hold up their end- the unit was damaged, different, misrepresented, etc.
Our local Rockwood dealer had no problem with taking a fully refundable deposit. They did this for us when we were considering a purchase at an RV show. We agreed on a price but I insisted that we have a week to reconsider and the deposit be refundable if we changed our mind in that week. We did reconsider and decided not to go ahead with the purchase, and they refunded the deposit, no problem. They obviously didn't do any work on the trailer since we hadn't firmed up so there was no loss to them.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I concur with the majority. Dealer is right. That's a lot of work to prep a camper. Would be nice if you could take peoples word that they're going to show, but if you've ever sold anything on Craigslist you know that most people now days are complete losers and their word means nothing. And I just have to say this for those talking about a "refundable deposit"- that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. If you can get it back, it's not a deposit. That makes about as much sense as the guy wmtire was talking about in another thread wanting to leave a declined credit card as a "deposit" while they go get some cash!!!!! The only time one should expect to get a deposit back is if the dealer didn't hold up their end- the unit was damaged, different, misrepresented, etc.
CAUTION... thread drift...

Not true... look on just about any soda can, beer bottle, juice drink... a deposit you CAN get back!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
I never would have driven that far to meet my wife.
Boy, your a real charmer ! She probably feels the same, but has some class and keeps it to herself.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
I paid $450 for full PDI

I paid $450 for a Full complete PDI not included in the purchase price. The Dealer had to install 2 Deep Cycle Batteries. 2 propane tanks with propane, Dewinterize the system and fill the fresh water tank, check and make sure all propane appliances were working with no leaks including furnace and AC as well as the water heater. They had to install and setup my hitch to pull the trailer, check air pressure in the tires and get it ready for my inspection, which took 3 hours checking everything and answering my questions and showing me how everything works. Any defects were corrected on the spot. Money well spent and they even gave me a full tank of gasoline for my truck. Every dealer in my area charges for a PDI in addition to the selling price.
Mel
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #27
Dahagen

A PDI is a pre-delivery inspection. A PDI is normally done AFTER the deal is made, your credit is approved, but the financing paperwork is not(or should not have been) signed.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Lot's of people siding with the dealer. At some point the dealer must install the battery, fill the propane tank, check for damage and make repairs when things are found not to be correct, fill the systems and check for leaks? Would it not be a more pleasant experience for the dealer and potential buyers to have that done soon after receipt of the unit? I would certainly think that this would be a dealer who cares about his product, how it is presented to potential buyers and places customers first. I am aware of possible damage and dirtying of the unit by customers but that is, IMO, part of the business. I did put a deposit down on my current rig. Bought it 200 miles from home after stopping there for buying something without the thought of buying a new unit. Wife thought otherwise. We did inspect the unit, make a deposit and returned home with a promise that we would return the following week and that we would require a PDI and ALL issues corrected BEFORE signing papers. Things worked well for us. Very few items were found and they were corrected immediately. Every inch of that unit and the outside was cleaned by a detailing crew that the dealer had just for that purpose.

OP, ask the dealer how long it will take to make repairs of any deficiencies found. I frequent several forums and the consensus on those forums is that the dealer will want you to bring it back. It is also all too often that the buyer is told that the appointment is in the "distant" future. Many times when the owner is wanting to take a trip. Once who sign the dotted line you are at the mercy of the service department and many times they are separate from the dealer.

As far as paying for a PDI and having the dealer install batteries, installing propane tanks and filling them is another money maker beyond the sales price. Providing and installing a hitch, IMO, should be part of the purchase negotiation and price.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
A PDI is a pre-delivery inspection. A PDI is normally done AFTER the deal is made, your credit is approved, but the financing paperwork is not(or should not have been) signed.
That's a really good point.

For the OP, the dealer is asking for a deposit to essentially hold the trailer and not sell it to anyone else, yet the OP has never even seen the trailer.

This is one of the problems with not buying locally. Personally, when I make a big purchase, I want to be able to see/touch/feel exactly what I'm buying.

When we were looking, there were quite a few times where we'd see a floor plan or pictures of something that we liked. Then when we actually stepped into the trailer, sat on the couches, opened and closed all the doors, it turned it it wasn't really what we wanted.

The deposit should be the first step of the buyer making a commitment to purchase with the final PDI taking place after the dealer has prepped it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #30

dealers typically DO NOT spend ANY money before a buyer purchases the unit - it is NOT the dealers out-of-pocket expense to take care of factory issues BEFORE a buyer is had, matter-of-fact, a warranty is for the OWNER, not the dealer.

so, no, they don't... they rightly expect the FACTORY to deliver a vehicle in good order, not one that they have to immediately spend their time and money working on.

PDI is for POST delivery inspection, not Pre.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
dealers typically DO NOT spend ANY money before a buyer purchases the unit - it is NOT the dealers out-of-pocket expense to take care of factory issues BEFORE a buyer is had, matter-of-fact, a warranty is for the OWNER, not the dealer.

so, no, they don't... they rightly expect the FACTORY to deliver a vehicle in good order, not one that they have to immediately spend their time and money working on.

PDI is for pre-delivery inspection to the customer. I went thru mine before I signed the paper work.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #32

Off topic a bit: I can’t say enough about rv wholesalers in Ohio. Pdi was very thorough and free. (Or atleast included in purchase price). And My purchase price was more than 40 percent under msrp. Best price I could find anywhere. Did have to put a deposit down to schedule paperwork and pdi. Just random thought as I was reading through this thread.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

No, it's PRE and always has been.

I know some people get duped into taking delivery of an RV before all the known issues are fixed, but they really shouldn't. Why would anyone pay for something they know isn't 100% right and then waste time getting work done under warranty?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
CAUTION... thread drift...

Not true... look on just about any soda can, beer bottle, juice drink... a deposit you CAN get back!

No one sells or buys "Deposit" beverage containers around here...
and we don't pay for a PDI either....

It is all part of the purchase price and should be agreed to be done before one signs for the unit. Unit should be in best shape when looked at

Non-refundable 'hold'..... no way....
pick a sDealer that is closer to where you live.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
No, it's PRE and always has been.

I know some people get duped into taking delivery of an RV before all the known issues are fixed, but they really shouldn't. Why would anyone pay for something they know isn't 100% right and then waste time getting work done under warranty?

X2 it is pre delivery
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #36

I'd offer $200 non refundable bucks for the prep work...applicable to the selling price IF accepted.
This is fair to the dealer and the customer.
Otherwise...make two trips. Cheaper to know what you have before you buy.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #37

Go look at the rig and leave a deposit if you like it, schedule the pdi after you make the deposit and sign a contract. That's how it works. You want to have everything ready, labor called in and people available to save you another 500 mile trip and no guarantee of purchase? I agree with the dealer. Otherwise buy local.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
I have a question. I was attempting to purchase a trailer in another state. They wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold it for me. We were not comfortable with that and told them that we would take our chances on loosing it, but would like to come in this Saturday (500 miles from home) as long as it was still available on Friday and make the purchase. They had given me 3 time slots for PDI in a previous email. I asked to be scheduled for one and was told that I could not schedule PDI without a deposit.
I explained that I did not want to pay for something I had never seen. I asked what would happen if a major problem revealed itself during the inspection. He at that point said that if something major (no interpretation) did come up - he would return our money but that no dealer would put the time needed into readying a trailer without a deposit. He did say that I could drive down twice if I wanted - once without my trade in to see the unit and then again after placing a deposit on it.
Is this true? I feel like he should ready the trailer on his dime - not mine, but do not know if this is standard practice or not
I have not read all that reply to you,,,
But you maybe asking to much of this dealer !!!
I would never buy from a dealer 500 miles away,,,
It is VERY likely you will have to take TT back to the dealer for something,,,
Maybe even more than once ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #39
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
MMMmmm. Don't tell her that!
You took the words right out of my mouth!! I would like to think most guys and gals in here would have gladly driven 500 miles and then some to meet their spouse! I would have gladly driven across the country to meet mine!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #40
WFD

4 pages into this thread and the OP hasn't been back...sure hope they are soaking it all in.

Tags
pdi