Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

rblake...thinking about your need for knowledgable help on the PDI...to educate you and spot anythig that doesn't look right...why not consider a local mobile RV service guy. You Probably could get one just by paying the hourly rate.
This guy is local there and seems to be in business for quite a while. Yellow pages online will have listings if you want someone else.
Bailey's RV Service | Mobile | Repair | Sales | Campers | MotorhomesBailey's RV Service | Your Only Full Service MOBILE Company
Good luck with the new rig and the whole process.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblake39 View Post
Yes. Going to Ohio for the PDI. And not going to sign for anything until problems are fixed.
I think you are smart to do that myself. I'm sure you can hire a mobile Mech. to help you out. In Fact call Youroo or Pm him I'm sure he would help you he helps everyone he lives in Ohio, worth a try. If you don't know what to look for and the terminology, it is wise to have another person with you so your not overwhelmed. If I lived in Ohio I would help you. Good Luck , but I agree get someone with some knowledge to look over your shoulder....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #23

Quote:
We are purchasing a new fifth wheel from RVW in Lakeview Ohio. As this is our first RV I would like to hire a private company to come out and help with the PDI. They would know a lot more about what to look for than I would and how all the systems are supposed to operate. Doe's anyone know of a good company in the area that would be able to do this? Thanks
Hi,

I just picked up my new MH from RVW on Tuesday. I drove 2400 miles from California because I saved 12,000.

Their people were great and went over everything, answered every question, and fixed everything that was wrong. They will not rush you. The owner is commited to great customer service and I was impressed.

We camped over night at the state park, found a couple other things, and they fixed them the next day. Been on the road for 3 days and just discovered a window won't latch.

Point is, open, close, turn on and off everthing. If you don't know how it works, ask. They will treat you with respect and will do everything they can to make this a great experience.

This is a learning experience. Take notes, pictures, etc., even if it takes hours and hours.

Good Luck,

Scott
Old 10-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #24

We live in Ohio, so even a couple wholesalers are local... However, the wholesalers want a non-refundable $1000 deposit, so after getting quotes all-around we decided to buy from a national franchise 10 minutes from work... On a big sales day they were only 5% more than the wholesalers on same brand/model units & we actually chose a PrimeTime, a FR brand the wholesalers do not carry...

Our dealer had about 8 of each PT model we were looking at so we could have the pick of the litter. (I don't like the idea of being locked-into a single unit ordered for the customer - what if it is a lemon?) I found that Q&C varied greatly between units built just months/weeks apart... I purposefully looked at TTs in heavy rains & found that even new ones leak... One had a big stream of water running down a wall, across the floor, and under the slide-out... I took a flashlight behind every access panel & cubby & found bad PEX crimps, etc. on some units. After sales folk saw how thorough I was, they lead me away from the known-lemons... This is one reason I chose PT vs. other brands... At the time the PT units had more consistency...

Since the new units were on sale, we actually found a great deal on a (gently) used PT Tracer. IMO the workmanship was superior to the newer units (Our TT was built just after the recession vs. during the (current) RV boom...)

We have now camped for 2 seasons/60+ days without a serious issue. We have not had to take our TT back to the dealership, but they just added about 10 repair bays, so I'm confident they can get us in & out in a timely manner. IMO ALL dealers take care of their own before they work on units purchased elsewhere...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #25

Buying a new unit built by a good company and sold by a reputable dealer should be reassuring that your are getting a solid unit that they will stand behind. We just bought a new Forester and going to enjoy it, not worry that it has might have flaws.
Rick-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #26

PDI does not always uncover all issues on new units!

I like your caution and I believe your course of action is wise and with a lot of merit. I do not know of a specific company that you can hire. I do know that after 3 trips back to the dealer covering several weeks and almost 3 weeks at the Forest River Cedar Creek factory, we found too many issues that needed to be fixed! Unfortunately. The majority did not come to light until after a 30 day trip from MI to Colorado then on to Maryland and then back home to Michigan. Traveling brought the vast majority to our attention. I truly believe that having a good dealer to take care of these warranty issues. If you can't find a good local dealer in FL, call Forest River and get them to help and find one for you. Since you will be full timing and parking it on one site many of these issues may not come to fruition. But if they do, step up to them quickly!
Good Luck. We love to camp, but the RV industry's quality leaves something to be desired sometimes!
numbersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #27
MCTroy

Quote:
We are purchasing a new fifth wheel from RVW in Lakeview Ohio. As this is our first RV I would like to hire a private company to come out and help with the PDI. They would know a lot more about what to look for than I would and how all the systems are supposed to operate. Doe's anyone know of a good company in the area that would be able to do this? Thanks
We are close to rvw. We won't do the PDI for you but would help if you need something. We are not experts but have been around campers for 20+ years.
MCTroy
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #28
Director, FROG

f you're concerned about being sure that you understand how everything works, consider taking a video of key items, and ask for a "re-do" if there's something you don't understand. When you get on the road and don't recall how you were told to do something, whip out the video for a review.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #29

If you can manage a two day and two night trip to Ohio, I would go through the trailer on my own, before the "official" PDI. Take an 8 foot step ladder and crawl up on the roof and poke around. As mentioned take a strong LED flashlight and poke around and test stuff as much as possible BEFORE doing the PDI.

I assume this unit is already paid for, so camp in the unit overnight in the dealer's lot. Then you will at least be a little familiar with things before the tech "shows" you what you need to know the next day.

It sounds like you have things thought out and covered OK. This is really not all that tough... just use the trailer for a day and a night, get the PDI the next day, sign off on the paperwork and you should be good to go.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #30

I've never heard of paying to assist with a PDI, it is about you looking it over and being shown everything works.

Many newbies do this every day; you don't have to be an expert on everything; after all it is your money that is being spent.

You just need to go down the PDI list one item at a time and taking your time. RVW is good about this. I bought from them. They saved me at least $7K over FL dealers.

The expert that will be there showing you every system on your new unit will be an RVW employee. Before leaving know how everything works... take notes and pictures. I've even heard of a man who took videos.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We bought our first RV, a 5th wheel, and on the day of the PDI someone took us through it in about 30 to 40 minutes. I didn't know how to hitch or unhitch or really even alter my driving to accommodate the extra 32 feet of trailer. We took it to a RV park in Madison WI and while there read through every piece of paper we got from the dealer. We tested everything and it all worked fine. I was a bit miffed when I thought that the dealer could have spent more time on the PDI, but looking back a year later, I realize that the flood of information would have escaped me for the most part. Going bock through the paper work and asking questions of other 5th wheel owners and this forum helped so much. OC would be a good resource too. Nothing was wrong with my unit on delivery. Nothing. Some units have problems but the warranty will be honored. Once you get your rig, make sure the tires are up to pressure and have fun.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #32

that is a great idea, as you said it's your first, and the PDI is only as good as the scope of your knowledge of the unit. Someone who is an expert in such matters will help you to find that which you have no knowledge of.

A PDI, camping near the dealer is been done and yet problems always show up, as the problems usually show up after the walk-thru, camping and so on.

I don't know of any companies, but perhaps google/angie's list/reference from someone etc.. might show up something. good luck with your search.
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #33

Sure wish I could haul it to FL for you but I'm sure you have that item covered already. I'm sure it would have saved you some expenses. I'm retired and drive for the fun of it, too.
Happy travels! I'm sure it all will work out perfectly.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #34
RVWholesalers Representative

rblake39, I am fine with you hiring someone, but I am here most days and I can make sure that my people give you all the attention and time that you require. We have great reviews because we do a great pdi. Again, let me know when you will be here and I can make sure you get all the help you require. But again, you are more than willing to hire someone as well. Just let me know what you need from us. ddurnell@rvwholesalers.com Thank you for your business, it is greatly appreciated! It means the world to us that you are trusting us with this very important purchase.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #35

Thanks all for the advice. I know the PDI is for us so to learn how all the systems work etc. It's the manufacturer's defects that I'm worried about. Things I don't know enough to spot. And Mr. Durnell. Thank you for replying to this thread. It is one of the main reasons we are purchasing from your company. By the way, I emailed you last week at the email address you give. It got bounced back. Not sure why. But Mitch was able to help me out.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Be careful. My daughter and family just purchased their first rv and I went and helped with the pick up. Her husband, who is very mechanically inclined and I, who has 25 years experience with rvs looked the unit over for quite some time. We checked all the items one would check on a new rv. Looked ok. They took it home and set up a indoor stroage for the winter. When he was prepping for storage he noticed water on the floor. Then he started looking inside cabinet s and storage areas and found a big problem. Water stains all over the rv. We checking everything and even climbed a ladder and checked the roof for caulking. Well it went back to the dealer and not only was there damage at floor level, the roof was soft and the tech almost fell thru the top of the slide. I believe the unit will be replaced but we have not heard back yet on the remedy. Anyway, be careful and look everywhere you can.
Slide roofs are not meant to be walked on period.

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #37
RVWholesalers Representative

rblake39, make sure you had the correct email address it is ddurnell@rvwholesalers.com Also, do you know when you will be heading this way? I want to try and make sure either me or my brother is here to take care of you! Thanks again- David
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #38

The Primetime web page shows three workers standing on the slide roof. I see no reason why you would not be able to stand on a slide roof unless there is water damage.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #39

my sister and I bought our first trailer this summer. One thing that really helped on the PDI was to take a pad of post it notes and write out things we were told and then put the post it note right by that piece of equipment. (the trailer was filled with post it notes!) We were new to many things and wanted to be sure we remembered what was said during the PDI since they go over a LOT of information. In the weeks following, as we learned to do things, we removed the post it notes and put them in a notebook. This helped us immensely to remember what was said in the PDI. good luck - Cincia
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Take.... a strong LED flashlight and poke around and test stuff as much as possible BEFORE doing the PDI.
I spent 2 hours (in heavy rains) thoroughly looking-over our TT BEFORE making an offer to make sure there were no signs of prior water damage, etc. They repaired the (minor trim) issues on my list, completed a pressure test, and re-caulked any area air was leaking (but no water yet)...

Then we videotaped the 2.5 hour PDI. The mechanic showed us how to operate everything, including using a cordless drill to retract the slides. My DW & 3 kids were present so we all learned how to do everything together. [Our (younger) kids are always well-behaved in public... We can take them anywhere...]

At no time were we locked into buying a single unit. We had our pick of the litter & we chose this unit because the workmanship was better compared to the other same brand/model units on the lot...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ohio, pdi