Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #31
Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We bought our first RV, a 5th wheel, and on the day of the PDI someone took us through it in about 30 to 40 minutes. I didn't know how to hitch or unhitch or really even alter my driving to accommodate the extra 32 feet of trailer. We took it to a RV park in Madison WI and while there read through every piece of paper we got from the dealer. We tested everything and it all worked fine. I was a bit miffed when I thought that the dealer could have spent more time on the PDI, but looking back a year later, I realize that the flood of information would have escaped me for the most part. Going bock through the paper work and asking questions of other 5th wheel owners and this forum helped so much. OC would be a good resource too. Nothing was wrong with my unit on delivery. Nothing. Some units have problems but the warranty will be honored. Once you get your rig, make sure the tires are up to pressure and have fun.

Dan and Deb

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #32
that is a great idea, as you said it's your first, and the PDI is only as good as the scope of your knowledge of the unit. Someone who is an expert in such matters will help you to find that which you have no knowledge of.

A PDI, camping near the dealer is been done and yet problems always show up, as the problems usually show up after the walk-thru, camping and so on.

I don't know of any companies, but perhaps google/angie's list/reference from someone etc.. might show up something. good luck with your search.

stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #33
Sure wish I could haul it to FL for you but I'm sure you have that item covered already. I'm sure it would have saved you some expenses. I'm retired and drive for the fun of it, too.
Happy travels! I'm sure it all will work out perfectly.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #34
RVWholesalers Representative
rblake39, I am fine with you hiring someone, but I am here most days and I can make sure that my people give you all the attention and time that you require. We have great reviews because we do a great pdi. Again, let me know when you will be here and I can make sure you get all the help you require. But again, you are more than willing to hire someone as well. Just let me know what you need from us. Thank you for your business, it is greatly appreciated! It means the world to us that you are trusting us with this very important purchase.
ddurnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #35
Thanks all for the advice. I know the PDI is for us so to learn how all the systems work etc. It's the manufacturer's defects that I'm worried about. Things I don't know enough to spot. And Mr. Durnell. Thank you for replying to this thread. It is one of the main reasons we are purchasing from your company. By the way, I emailed you last week at the email address you give. It got bounced back. Not sure why. But Mitch was able to help me out.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Be careful. My daughter and family just purchased their first rv and I went and helped with the pick up. Her husband, who is very mechanically inclined and I, who has 25 years experience with rvs looked the unit over for quite some time. We checked all the items one would check on a new rv. Looked ok. They took it home and set up a indoor stroage for the winter. When he was prepping for storage he noticed water on the floor. Then he started looking inside cabinet s and storage areas and found a big problem. Water stains all over the rv. We checking everything and even climbed a ladder and checked the roof for caulking. Well it went back to the dealer and not only was there damage at floor level, the roof was soft and the tech almost fell thru the top of the slide. I believe the unit will be replaced but we have not heard back yet on the remedy. Anyway, be careful and look everywhere you can.
Slide roofs are not meant to be walked on period.

2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #37
RVWholesalers Representative
rblake39, make sure you had the correct email address it is Also, do you know when you will be heading this way? I want to try and make sure either me or my brother is here to take care of you! Thanks again- David
ddurnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #38
The Primetime web page shows three workers standing on the slide roof. I see no reason why you would not be able to stand on a slide roof unless there is water damage.
2012 Crusader 26RLD, 2000 F-350 4X4 7.3.
Hayes Autoformer, Correct track, Maxxis 8008E,
Andersen Aluminum hitch.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #39
my sister and I bought our first trailer this summer. One thing that really helped on the PDI was to take a pad of post it notes and write out things we were told and then put the post it note right by that piece of equipment. (the trailer was filled with post it notes!) We were new to many things and wanted to be sure we remembered what was said during the PDI since they go over a LOT of information. In the weeks following, as we learned to do things, we removed the post it notes and put them in a notebook. This helped us immensely to remember what was said in the PDI. good luck - Cincia
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #40
Take.... a strong LED flashlight and poke around and test stuff as much as possible BEFORE doing the PDI.
I spent 2 hours (in heavy rains) thoroughly looking-over our TT BEFORE making an offer to make sure there were no signs of prior water damage, etc. They repaired the (minor trim) issues on my list, completed a pressure test, and re-caulked any area air was leaking (but no water yet)...

Then we videotaped the 2.5 hour PDI. The mechanic showed us how to operate everything, including using a cordless drill to retract the slides. My DW & 3 kids were present so we all learned how to do everything together. [Our (younger) kids are always well-behaved in public... We can take them anywhere...]

At no time were we locked into buying a single unit. We had our pick of the litter & we chose this unit because the workmanship was better compared to the other same brand/model units on the lot...

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote

ohio, pdi