Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Retired

PDI tomorrow morning 0900

I can't believe many of you have been camping 2-3 months already. We just harrowed our fields this morning... NO SNOW!
DW and I are doing the PDI on our new Columbus 340RK tomorrow morning at 0900...excitement, nervous, overwhelmed, uncertainty, cautiously optimistic, etc. We spent a lot of time putting a PDI doc (checklist) together so we can follow a "logical" progression from Stem to Stern, Top to Bottom and everything in-between. We gave a copy to our salesman and the tech who will be with us a couple of weeks ago, they didn't flinch. The dealership has their own "PDI" which goes far beyond FR's suggested list. SO we'll do a followup on tomorrow's event...hopefully including a pic of the Columbus parked in our driveway.

Happy Trails

Old 04-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

Congrats and the best of luck.We finally have no snow and cant wait to go camping, i just have till Memorial Day.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

If the water tanks are not full and fridge hasn't been run for several hours on both electric and propane, then it isn't a PDI.

Fill all water tanks to include black, grey, and fresh to near capacity and then check for leaks and issues. Ensure that shower water goes to grey tank and not black, ensure that no leaks anywhere! Too many horror stories of plumbing not connected properly or plumbing misrouted to wrong tanks.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase. Do not trust the dealer's PDI. Be very thorough and don't let the excitement on the purchase overwhelm you and cloud your judgment during the PDI.

Also, does your PDI checklist contain the following:

Check tire date of manufacturer. If older then 1 year old, request new tires. RV
ST trailer tires should be replaced every 4-5 years regardless of mileage.

Measure distance between trailer wheels. Space between wheels on both sides of camper should be equal or you have an alignment problem out of the factory. ASK ME HOW I KNOW ;-)

If your wheel tire pressure isn't at maximum PSI as specified on tire, your dealer didn't do a real PDI. Ask me how I know ;-)

Run heater checking for smells and adequate flow out of each vent. Had a new RV which didn't have a vent connected at the factory because the tubing was a foot short and the installer at factory left it like that.

Check for cracks in shower tub and on roof for each skylight. These can crack from flex occuring transit from factory.

Check each outlet with a tester to ensure it is hot and wired properly.

Unplug batter(ies) and check converter voltage output. Check battery voltage using voltmeter. If it is very high (14.4 volts) when plugged into external power, it is possible the factory battery was discharged deeply sitting in storage.

Ensure you have power to camper other then battery power. I usually bring a 3kw generator with me when I do PDIs for friends and family members (don't many over the past 7 years). Dealers often won't plug in the camper for you because they want you out the door. They also won't fill it with water and fill black/water tanks most of the way full either.

Check that spark igniter (if equipped) on propane stove works.

Check that propane heats hot water in hot water tank.

Check for shower water pressure and water pressure at each sink faucet.

Check for leaks by water pump.

Check for sealant around brake lights and visibility lights on rear of camper. Need to rebuild my rear wall because my current 5th wheel had water intrusion damage from rear visibility lights that weren't sealed properly at factory.

Check to see if you have a lug nut wrench in camper. If you don't, you'll need one.

Remove drawers in kitchen and check for mice and construction debris, have dealer vacuum construction residual debris. Same goes for under dinnette tables.

Ensure that the cable TV wiring from antenna to TV actually works. My 5th wheel TV does not pick up any TV stations because the wiring was not done correctly at the factory. This is frustrating but we deal with it by watching movies instead.

Make sure your TV antenna works properly (extends/retracts/rotates)
Check AM/FM radio for reception and if it has a DVD player, check it by bringing along a DVD movie.

Make sure toilet holds water. If toilet is old and sitting at factory for a while from a bulk purchase, it is possible for seal to have dried out. Fill bowl up with water and it should not drain over 10 minutes.

Check for spongy floor in every possible floor section paying attention to floor by kitchen, bathroom, and even stop in shower to ensure pan floor is not spongy.

Boil cup of water in microwave to ensure it works and that it doesn't trip any circuit breakers.

Good luck and congrats!
Skyliner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

I hope your PDI goes better than the 'PDI' my wife and I got. The dealer apparently uses part-timers on the weekend for any PDIs, and the guy we got kept repeating he didn't know about this particular model (E-Pro 19FBS), so when it came to showing how to operate different systems, he would say he didn't know about this model. Much of it was skimmed over, and there was very little in the way of checking the different systems. He told us the techs had went over everything, and verified everything was working, but didn't provide any kind of proof. When it came time to show me how to hitch/un-hitch the weight dist. hitch, a tech was showing us while the PDI guy was showing us how to turn the propane on/off so we didn't see how to use the hitch. Fortunately when I got home I was able to find videos online (thanks e2/youtube) so I could unhitch. The PDI guy was retired military and seemed like a nice enough guy, but he had no clue how/what to do, and I ended up reading the manuals and going online to figure out how to operate everything (thanks again youtube). Everyone else at the dealership from the salesman to the finance person were fabulous, and treated us well. But we were short-changed when it came to the PDI.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Customers should never accept a bad PDI.
Get the manager involved.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Customers should never accept a bad PDI.
Get the manager involved.
Correct.
We simply become part of (and add to) the industry wide problem if we continue to allow it to happen.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=4
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

MainelyUS, looks like you are well prepared and then received additional fantastic support (as expected) from the FR Forum.

On your way home, or as soon as possible, add a notebook to your new, beautiful unit.

What for?

There WILL be other things you find, even though you did a thorough PDI. As you find them, so you won't forget them, write them in that new notebook.

After each trip, schedule a time with your dealer to do the 'pickups' you found and noted in your notebook.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Congratulations on your purchase of a 340RK. I bought a gently used 340Rk in Oct 2016 and have thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The extra space in the kitchen and the overall layout of the unit is good. I love the full sized 60" shower (I am a large 6'4" person) and the ability to convert the Full sized queen bed to a King if and when the wife wants that modification.
As others have mentioned, tires are critical. My unit was only 1.5 years old when I bought it and I did not like the Westlake branded tires that were installed. They were E rated, but the handling of the RV was terrible when being pulled. My unit had rims that allowed 110psi rated tires, but the westlakes only allowed 80PSI max inflation pressure. I upgraded to Goodyear G rated tires and all the swaying and poor handling went away.
I don't hear many comments about the 340RK out there, so either everyone who has one is having as good a time as I am, or there just aren't many out there.
No matter, enjoy your new RV and share a picture or two!
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
I can't believe many of you have been camping 2-3 months already. We just harrowed our fields this morning... NO SNOW![...]
I'm sitting in my office right now in Boulder, CO watching the wet snow fall. Saturday was cold and few inches of snow, Sunday was 70s and gorgeous, Monday, was 60s and super nice, today snowy.

Good luck with your PDI. Have a great season.

TV: 2005 F150, 5.4L, Tow Package, 4WD
Current RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If the water tanks are not full and fridge hasn't been run for several hours on both electric and propane, then it isn't a PDI.

Fill all water tanks to include black, grey, and fresh to near capacity and then check for leaks and issues. Ensure that shower water goes to grey tank and not black, ensure that no leaks anywhere! Too many horror stories of plumbing not connected properly or plumbing misrouted to wrong tanks.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase. Do not trust the dealer's PDI. Be very thorough and don't let the excitement on the purchase overwhelm you and cloud your judgment during the PDI.

Also, does your PDI checklist contain the following:

Check tire date of manufacturer. If older then 1 year old, request new tires. RV
ST trailer tires should be replaced every 4-5 years regardless of mileage.

Measure distance between trailer wheels. Space between wheels on both sides of camper should be equal or you have an alignment problem out of the factory. ASK ME HOW I KNOW ;-)

If your wheel tire pressure isn't at maximum PSI as specified on tire, your dealer didn't do a real PDI. Ask me how I know ;-)

Run heater checking for smells and adequate flow out of each vent. Had a new RV which didn't have a vent connected at the factory because the tubing was a foot short and the installer at factory left it like that.

Check for cracks in shower tub and on roof for each skylight. These can crack from flex occuring transit from factory.

Check each outlet with a tester to ensure it is hot and wired properly.

Unplug batter(ies) and check converter voltage output. Check battery voltage using voltmeter. If it is very high (14.4 volts) when plugged into external power, it is possible the factory battery was discharged deeply sitting in storage.

Ensure you have power to camper other then battery power. I usually bring a 3kw generator with me when I do PDIs for friends and family members (don't many over the past 7 years). Dealers often won't plug in the camper for you because they want you out the door. They also won't fill it with water and fill black/water tanks most of the way full either.

Check that spark igniter (if equipped) on propane stove works.

Check that propane heats hot water in hot water tank.

Check for shower water pressure and water pressure at each sink faucet.

Check for leaks by water pump.

Check for sealant around brake lights and visibility lights on rear of camper. Need to rebuild my rear wall because my current 5th wheel had water intrusion damage from rear visibility lights that weren't sealed properly at factory.

Check to see if you have a lug nut wrench in camper. If you don't, you'll need one.

Remove drawers in kitchen and check for mice and construction debris, have dealer vacuum construction residual debris. Same goes for under dinnette tables.

Ensure that the cable TV wiring from antenna to TV actually works. My 5th wheel TV does not pick up any TV stations because the wiring was not done correctly at the factory. This is frustrating but we deal with it by watching movies instead.

Make sure your TV antenna works properly (extends/retracts/rotates)
Check AM/FM radio for reception and if it has a DVD player, check it by bringing along a DVD movie.

Make sure toilet holds water. If toilet is old and sitting at factory for a while from a bulk purchase, it is possible for seal to have dried out. Fill bowl up with water and it should not drain over 10 minutes.

Check for spongy floor in every possible floor section paying attention to floor by kitchen, bathroom, and even stop in shower to ensure pan floor is not spongy.

Boil cup of water in microwave to ensure it works and that it doesn't trip any circuit breakers.

Good luck and congrats!
good job wish I had this list before we picked up our MH.

Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi