Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #1

People will never cease to amaze me…………

This weekend we had gone camping at Ft. Richardson in Jacksboro, Texas. We had a pretty good time except for my kiddos running off and not asking or telling us where they would be going. They have lost some privileges for indiscretion. But that’s not the amazing thing.

This morning while we were packing up to head back to los casa, the folks in the site 2 down (nobody between us) were also packing up. Well I had done all the outside stuff, put away the rug, mats, raised the rear stabilizers, and dumped the tanks. As I’m walking back to the door of my trailer I notice that the guy next door had something shoved up in his sewer pipe (the sewer hose was long gone). As I watch a bit more attentively I notice that it’s a water hose and there is dark effluent spewing out of the sewer pipe as he works the hose in and out. And looking even closer I notice that this just isn’t any water hose……. You guessed it ladies and gents. It was his white drinking water hose that had previously been connected to his trailer’s fresh water inlet. This dude must’ve had that hose in there every bit of 6 feet working it like a snake to unclog a drain. Crap (literally) was spewing out while he was doing this. Not only is this not sanitary for him and his poor family that will have to use the water from that hose the next time they go camping but he effectively dumped crap all over the camp site. He had already used his sewer hose and had dumped his tanks but I guess he figured it needed a “real good cleaning”. Luckily for us we were up wind from his antics otherwise I probably would’ve blown chunks.

Anyway…………. Thought I’d share

Y’all have a good’n!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #2

dude
you did go get the park ranger right?
TEQC dont play with raw sewage dumping
we had a trukey do that here using a blue buggy
wow i cant believe folks would do that, prolly dont wahs his hands after the restroom either

so the rest of your weekend nice and cold???

i bet he was one of them UFO trekies visiting texas this weekend
Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

I was already hooked up and when we left the ranger wasn’t at the station although I know there was at least one on duty as I saw him earlier……. Holiday weekend and low staffing I suppose. I’ll probably call the park in the morning. Didn't even occur to me to call the office while I was watching the einstien. Probably too late now.

Rest of the weekend was pretty good. Froze Friday and Saturday night. They had the old hospital opened up so we were able to go in which we have never been able to do before. Pretty cool.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

shoot, you could have come here and FROZE with no do do on the ground
it was darn cold here to.BURRRRRRRRR
old hospital for what time frame??
thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
old hospital for what time frame??
thanks
It was the original post hospital. Built shortly after the civil war. Ft. Richardson was to be used as a "frontier post" and was the Northern most in Texas. The hospital is one of the very few buildings on the post that were made of stone from a rock quary on the post. All the other buildings were built from mostly green lumber and logs and mud (you know, for those lowly enlisted scum). They (TPWD) along with a lot of civilians have done a great job of restoring several buildings on the post to include the hospital. There are era beds, tools, and other items of the period used in the hospital. There is also a Civil War carbine donated by a family with a replica of the soldier that carried it.

Ft. Richardson is one of my favorite State Parks. It has great history and it's only 70 miles away.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...rt_richardson/
Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #6

Greg,
I was fixin' to have a huge bowl of Gumbo when I read your post. Now I'll have to postpone it for a while.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Aside from the crappy story (get it?) the fort looks like a cool place to visit. I love military history and historic sites... visited the "Citadel' in Quebec City this summer (Wolf vs Montcalm... English vs French... 1750's war for North America... mind you if the french had won, the Revolutionary War would have lasted maybe a week and a half.) A real great site to visit too if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #8

I have heard of people doing this but I have yet to witness it, thank God. Some people just don't THINK!!! I hope he had enough sense to wear rubber gloves.

Speaking of old forts, if anyone is ever in the Mobile, AL area you must take the short drive to visit Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island. From there you can take a ferry across Mobile Bay and see Fort Morgan. Both were Confederate forts during the civil war and, had the confederates won the Battle of Mobile Bay (Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead) the civil war would have lasted longer than it did.

Both of the forts are self-guided tours and you can touch and feel everything. Both have small museums that are worth going through. For the most part, both forts are completely intact.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #9

update

I called the park this morning and informed the ranger of what I witnessed. He said they would "take care of it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I have heard of people doing this but I have yet to witness it, thank God. Some people just don't THINK!!! I hope he had enough sense to wear rubber gloves.
Nope. No rubber gloves.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Well it goes to show there are morons everywhere.... I hope the ranger does contact him and lets him know he's not welcome back.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I've seen a lot of things like that over the years. One guy told me...he just left the cap off, and cracked the tank valves open as he drove home. No need to empty the tanks at a dump station then.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #12

I hope this is not a reflection of how they live at home, I feel sorry for there neighbors or they are not fit to live with other humans. In most cases animals have more sense.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #13

Is it ok to let some gray water siphon off while camping to make room in gray tank since it is only shower water and sink water ? I know of some who do this not the hole tank mind you but just a little
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #14

I don't think it's ok, all waste water is suppose to be treated before it ends up back in the environment. Gray water is not as bad as black water how ever there are food particles soaps and detergents in gray water and what ever comes off your body from showers or washing your hands. Just think if we were allowed to dump gray water on the ground, who would want to camp in a camp ground, the smell would make you turn your head the other way, And the other thing is lets say there was some one else in the camp site just before you arrived and they were allowing there gray water to drain on the ground, here you are running your camper getting set up and now you are stepping in there gray water that's on the ground, now it ends up on your shoes, on your rug out side of your camper and maybe in your camper. It's scary to think what could be stuck to the bottom of your shoes, it could even end up in your tow vehicle. Yes there are endless combination how this could mess up things.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
Is it ok to let some gray water siphon off while camping to make room in gray tank since it is only shower water and sink water ? I know of some who do this not the hole tank mind you but just a little
It's illegal in Texas.

as stated in the post previous... waste is waste
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
It's illegal in Texas.

as stated in the post previous... waste is waste
A N D
i dont know about some, but i know my kids used to pee in the tub when they were babies... so its
all waste to me as well.

I was staying on base at redstone arsenal and the dumps station was over 1 mile away. we were right on the TN river.... folks there used to run a garden hse out off the cap to drain all the grey tanks.....
made a nice sheen through the woods when it rained
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Many states ban it, most campgrounds ban it as well. As well as the items listed above, it also attracts bears, vermin, skunks, and other unwanted things to your site. (or others...when you leave) My answer? I wouldn't recommend it at all. If you need to empty, better to release some into a blue tote, or bucket of some sort and haul it to a dump station or restroom.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #18

people should remember (LEAVE ONLY FOOT PRINTS and TAKE ONLY THE MEMORIES ) . I had people in the site next to me tossed because they were on a site that backed up to a stream and they were dumping 2 hoses off there pop up into the water!! said they do it all the time , not there anymore...
Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #19

Remember, It's not only the environment, but it's your health......
Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
RJW

Bet they end up sick next camping trip, hope it puts them off camping and they sell out and quit camping....ya can't cure stupid.

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote