Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkathy View Post
I was also thinking resale on park models would be better than destination rvs
I was actually told just the opposite. Wife and I are getting ready to go full time. Early on we found a park model that we really liked. Turned out that getting financing for it was going to be very difficult due to it’s resale value and the lack of interest in prospective buyers (very few people want to buy them compared to fifth wheels). In the end we settled on a fifth wheel.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #22

5th wheels have nothing to do with this thread or conversation. the original post does not really specify weather he is talking about a park model or destination trailer which are two completely different things.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #23

In MI park models are RVs and are not taxed. In the RV park where we have two lots there are a number of park models and only the land is taxed.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
5th wheels have nothing to do with this thread or conversation. the original post does not really specify weather he is talking about a park model or destination trailer which are two completely different things.
The first post says they currently have a fifth wheel and are deciding whether to keep it or buy something else.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #25

park model insurance

look into foremost insurance company they insure both trailers and mobile homes that's who I have on my destination trailer after progressive drop me because I didn't move my trailer and a buddy of mine has them for his mobile home and camper
wisconsin39kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #26

A destination trailer is basically the same quality and built the same as a camper but not typically pulled from site to site. Wildwood Lodges, Salem Villa, Cedar Creek Cottages, Puma has a line as well as many others.

The biggest difference we have noticed is there is very little to no basement storage. Ours does not sit permanently on a site so our water hoses, sewer hose etc. are stored in totes.

The weight is the same as our 5th wheel was at around 11K - 12K so if I want I could pull it home, but it is 42 feet long.

In Virginia a mobile home becomes real property when you remove the tongue and set it up on your land. I have noticed the on destination trailers a bolt on tongue is optional.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #27
Just as confused as you

I have checked into park models and what I found is they have thicker walls, better insulation, larger furnaces, and larger water heaters. They don't have air conditioners, water pumps, or holding tanks. Some have central air offered as part of the package but water and sewer is on the buyer to have installed or furnished by the campground, community or trailer park. The more expensive models have 6" walls and are built more like a s&b home than a mobile home or RV. All of the park models can be sat on a basement foundation with exterior entrance to the basement area. I know of one manufacturer that you can have custom built with an interior basement entry. I don't know if FR will build their park model like this for you.

https://parkmodelsdirect.com/locations/

Click on the Visit Website link under individual manufacturers logo for your area.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #28
Dahagen

I live part time in a park model in Idaho in the summertime and insurance is moderately inexpensive with Foremost insurance Company. I used to live in Arizona in a park model and many small companies insure them in that state also.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #29

The best advice I can give you is 1st check the parks you are interested in and see what kind of lots are available to purchase or lease, sewage or non, full time water or only seasonal. 2nd get a copy of there rules & bylaws check the annual maintenance fees. I don't know what year your 5th wheel is but many camp grounds have a rule as to how old your camper can be. 3rd now decide what is best for you. Getting insurance is usually not a problem that can't be easily handled. Also most campgrounds have someone emptying gray and black tanks for a charge. Hope this helps
Old 04-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #30

I have a few friends with park models. We are I’m Pa so they still winterize, they love them because they are sturdier than a TT and have more space. One fri d stays with DW, DH, two adult children’s and DH’s and Four grand kids. Not sure how they all fit but it does have two lofts for sleepin and two bedrooms. As for insurance, they are an awful lot of them out there so somebody has to be covering them. And resale is pretty good if taken care of. Usually you just leave them in place and next owner moves right in. Much better resale that a TT or fiver. Jmho
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 AM   #31

Permanent camping!

We reside in a permanent campground with no weekend people. Have a porch along with our Forest river 36ft tt. Its great that we don't have to move and we're in Goshen, N.J. 7 miles inland to the Atlantic! We love it and don't have to worry about weekend warriors! Green Holly Campground!
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #32

We have a Cedar Creek Cottage in a park in N. Georgia. We live there except for the winter months when we use a Class A to hang out in Florida.
The Cottage is perfect for us. We have it insured with Foremost Insurance Co. There are about a dozen of the Cottages in our park. Everyone seems happy with them. Just treat them like a travel trailer, not a park model in terms of the holding tanks. I like the residential electric water heater, refrigerator and stacked washer-dryer. We own the lot and have a small shed to store our "extra" stuff.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #33

We spent last week at a park model dealer where we saw many different models then looked at several destination type trailers. Really liked the park models because they felt like a house, not a trailer. At the moment we can’t see trading in our spacious 5th wheel for another trailer. When we do go to a permanent site we will probably stay with our 5th wheel then go to a park model.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer