Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #21

Did you wear medical gloves when you changed your child's diapers?
Roberte52 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #22

Seems as though I touched a nerve. Wonder why? Lol! Y’all just keep on keeping on
OburgOrange is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #23

Ok .... I wash my hands all time but I do not think I am a "germ person" ... I am new to camping and part of the fun is all of the planning set up and tear down that goes with it ... I really enjoy the process and there is plenty of it ... and it includes handling clean up of all tanks .... tanks are the last thing I do no gloves for me ... I keep a spray bottle of all purpose Lysol handy ... my water panel has a hose with plenty of hot water for clean up ... spray it rinse it and put away ... spray hands wash them rinse and done .... wife drops tab in toilet flush 2-4 times ready for next trip we head home ... dumping tanks in correct order and black tank back flush and that hose with the hot water makes the process really very clean....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
People who try and live sterile lives probably have more allergies and other issues than those of us who were sent out to play with the animals and dirt.
Got that right! For the most part we've lived too clean for the past 35 years. There' a lot of folks out there that have compromised & deficient immune systems because of this.

What cracks me up is those folks that put on arm length surgical gloves when dumping, yet they're wearing sandals !!!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OburgOrange View Post
Seems as though I touched a nerve. Wonder why? Lol! Y’all just keep on keeping on
I wouldn't consider it a nerve, as much as a different sense of concern. These type threads are just opinions and personal preferences (there is no question asked in the OP). Not really a right or wrong, depending on whose perspective you get.....just what worries one person may not worry the next at all. I think you are seeing this in the responses.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #26

If I was dumping someone else’s tanks I would certainly wear gloves. But my own tanks don’t hold anything I haven’t had on my hands before. Just my opinion.🤷*♀️
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #27
Broken Toe

Quote:
Seems as though I touched a nerve. Wonder why?
Because your post was slightly condescending and strongly implied that everyone who does not 'glove up' while doing the sewer hose thing is not doing it right.

Done correctly, all the nastiness remains on the inside of the hose. A simple wash of the hands with quality soap and hot water is all you need. Done incorrectly... well... gloves will be the least of your worries.

You do it your way. Nobody will laugh at you for putting on a Level 4 MOPP suit just to hook up the stinky slinky. Well, at least not where you can hear them.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #28

Quote:
You don't always realize it, but every time one of us backs our trailers into campsites, you can guarantee there's someone keeping score. You just do your own thing and others do theirs. I forget to put on my gloves sometimes, but that's why in the box with our connection pieces, I also have hand sanitizer and small bottle of dish soap to wash hands.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #29

By posting a "pet-peeve" comment, figure on receiving a wide variety of comments. What good is posting to an echo chamber?

We are all exposed to things we don't like. In my view, carcinogenic chemicals are more likely to kill me, and I've never heard of death or even illness from RV waste dumping. I protect myself from both to some degree. Sometimes I wear gloves, usually not.

We are all different and like to do it our own way. Everyone here should absolutely respect your right to wear gloves. I would hope that you can tolerate us who do it differently. I'd try not to get peeved over things that don't effect you.

To illustrate how irrational and unique individual squeamishness can be: I have a friend that won't drink from the same straw as his girlfriend/SO of over 15 years. Girlfriend points out that he does things she likes that are a lot more involved than a soda straw.

It's just weird but it the way people are.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
D W

As a kid I worked at my Great Grandfather's dairy farm running a manure spreader, and in the late 60's when stationed a FT Eustis, I worked part-time pumping sewage holding tanks at a mobile home park. It didn't kill me.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Ate dirt, drank from garden hose, swam after eating, rode pedal bike for 10k miles...without a helmet, roller skated without knee pads, elbow pads or helmet. 57 years later....still here.
Grew up on a farm, 40 miles from town, late 40s thru high school. No plumbing, outdoor toilet... cows, sheep, horses to take care of. Washed our hands before we ate. Still here, 78 years later. Wash my hands after dumping the tanks, 50+ years of camping/RVing. Don't worry, be happy.
EdnKat is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
To illustrate how irrational and unique individual squeamishness can be: I have a friend that won't drink from the same straw as his girlfriend/SO of over 15 years. Girlfriend points out that he does things she likes that are a lot more involved than a soda straw.

It's just weird but it the way people are.

My wife had a boss that would throw out a straw and get a new one if anyone else even touched it. Not drank from it, just put their fingers on the outside of it.

I think she said a few times he even threw his entire drink away and got a new one.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #33
Old Engineer

I have the throw away gloves like everyone else....never use them.

If I am dumping my tanks I just rinse well and use hand sanitizer when I am done.

If I am dumping your tanks I will be wearing a full hazmat suit under a deep sea diving outfit!

FleckDreher is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #34

Quote:
People who try and live sterile lives probably have more allergies and other issues than those of us who were sent out to play with the animals and dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Got that right! For the most part we've lived too clean for the past 35 years. There' a lot of folks out there that have compromised & deficient immune systems because of this.

Recent report by a doctor on our local news. They are now starting to recommend parents take their kids out to a farm regularly to expose them to all this stuff. Report said that this was to REDUCE incidence of allergies and such.
Personalty, recent year ads about home cleaning products that kill 99% of germs have never set well with me. If you never get exposed to germs, your body cannot build up immunities. Also, what happens to the 1% that survive?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #35
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've tried many different brands of disposable gloves and every single time they'd break. So I finally went to Menards and got myself a pair of heavy duty PVC-coated work gloves. I keep them with my hoses so I always have them when I dump the tanks.

My problem is that I typically set them to the side and forget to put them on. Haven't died yet.
You can also buy the gloves veterinarians use for checking if a cow is pregnant by shoving their whole arm in the cow's behind.
Or they do make chemical resistant rubber gloves with grip texture that reach your elbow but it will be very expensive if you throw them away after a single use.

I'm like others here that drank from the garden hose (and still do), rode bikes without helmets, gloves and elbow/knee pads (still do this) and pulled vegetables from the garden then ate them without washing them and this was after spreading chicken & cow manure in the spring (yep, I gotta say, still do it).

If anyone wants to be named in my will I'm afraid you won't get anything.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #36

I just go to the local auto paint supply and get the heavy duty nitrile gloves. Throw the box in the dump compartment and leave in there, and put on a fresh set each time I dump. Quick and easy, and odor free.
Blank is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #37

Quote:

That's why people in third world countries that dump sewage in the streets are so much more healthy than Americans. I wonder why we bother treating it before dumping into rivers. Waste of money!
BigRockr is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
That's why people in third world countries that dump sewage in the streets are so much more healthy than Americans. I wonder why we bother treating it before dumping into rivers. Waste of money!
I believe that there's a point where you just get toxic. There's no problem with exposure to a certain amount of bacteria and germs. But if I were to throw you into my sewage storage tank you would likely die in short order. So like most things in life moderation is key, and over burdening yourself with panic is not necessarily the healthiest way to go.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Because your post was slightly condescending and strongly implied that everyone who does not 'glove up' while doing the sewer hose thing is not doing it right.

Done correctly, all the nastiness remains on the inside of the hose. A simple wash of the hands with quality soap and hot water is all you need. Done incorrectly... well... gloves will be the least of your worries.

You do it your way. Nobody will laugh at you for putting on a Level 4 MOPP suit just to hook up the stinky slinky. Well, at least not where you can hear them.

Tim

X2
Roberte52 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #40

I Dunno,But Since This "Stinker" Of A Topic Bubbled Up....
I'm sorta glad that I know where it's all been. That doesn't make it any more pleasant! You're Sanitary Practices,Ways And Means are Yours! Own them,be Proud of them,and Carry On!
I can tell You Horror Stories of where I've been,and what I've literally been up to my butt in after doing 20 years of Fire and Rescue,but I won't!
All that really matters is that You keep Your Black and Grey Tank Endgame Good for You!
Bon Vivant and Enjoy and My God,Keep On Camping!!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply
Closed Thread