Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreekbob View Post
I Dunno,But Since This "Stinker" Of A Topic Bubbled Up....
I'm sorta glad that I know where it's all been. That doesn't make it any more pleasant! You're Sanitary Practices,Ways And Means are Yours! Own them,be Proud of them,and Carry On!
I can tell You Horror Stories of where I've been,and what I've literally been up to my butt in after doing 20 years of Fire and Rescue,but I won't!
All that really matters is that You keep Your Black and Grey Tank Endgame Good for You!
Bon Vivant and Enjoy and My God,Keep On Camping!!
BRAVO !!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You can also buy the gloves veterinarians use for checking if a cow is pregnant by shoving their whole arm in the cow's behind.
Or they do make chemical resistant rubber gloves with grip texture that reach your elbow but it will be very expensive if you throw them away after a single use.

I'm like others here that drank from the garden hose (and still do), rode bikes without helmets, gloves and elbow/knee pads (still do this) and pulled vegetables from the garden then ate them without washing them and this was after spreading chicken & cow manure in the spring (yep, I gotta say, still do it).

If anyone wants to be named in my will I'm afraid you won't get anything.
The gloves that the vets wear are for the protection of the animals.
EdnKat is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #43

Y’all don’t want to know where I put my hands. Most of the time I wear gloves but not always.

I generally wear gloves while dumping the tanks. Mostly to keep my wife from fussing at me.
JWood422 is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
BRAVO !!
I agree. You do you. If people want to handle sewage with or without gloves, it's no one's business but their own - unless they want to shake my hand or cook for me immediately afterwards - then it's mine.

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #45
Noob

I sometimes wear gloves, if I remember them. My primary method of keeping my hands clean is to keep the poop on the INSIDE of the hose. [emoji16]
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #46
Noob

These guys were going site to site last weekend, dumping tanks all day with no gloves. I wonder if they're still alive. . . [emoji848]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_141413.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	214529
Old 09-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #47
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywithlloyd View Post
These guys were going site to site last weekend, dumping tanks all day with no gloves. I wonder if they're still alive. . . [emoji848]Attachment 214529
I can't really tell by the photo buy if they are connecting to the dump fitting you best be sure your vents don't have anything blocking them or you could be replacing a collapsed tank.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #48

Skinned deer and rabbits and a mess ah fish one day.... (gosh darn the DW hated all that blood on my clothing...)

Ate this combo that I had in the freezer that evening....

Looked different going down that hatch...

but in the end.... it just turned to poop....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywithlloyd View Post
These guys were going site to site last weekend, dumping tanks all day with no gloves. I wonder if they're still alive. . . [emoji848]Attachment 214529
Yes they are, and probably healthier than you.
EdnKat is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #50
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I can't really tell by the photo buy if they are connecting to the dump fitting you best be sure your vents don't have anything blocking them or you could be replacing a collapsed tank.
Oh, yeah - they were all clear. That's the last thing I'd want to deal with. LOL!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #51
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnKat View Post
Yes they are, and probably healthier than you.
Right? LMAO!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #52

I, like most older people(or especially people who had to make do with what they had) are not scared of a few germs. Some of the stuff I do and have done would kill others I guess. Wanna learn to spit? Snake out a sewer line and some of it splash back and hit you in the mouth. My wife grosses out if I am sweating real bad. It is part of life.

I have said before I can pump diesel and get fuel on my hand... wipe it on my pants and eat a sandwich. No problems.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #53

I wear gloves far more often when pumping diesel than I do when emptying the tanks.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #54
Site Team

I had to quit using those latex gloves when dumping, as it left a bad taste in my mouth since I'm usually holding/eating a ham samwich at the same time. Lol

I'm just kidding. It's turkey not ham.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #55

Sewer Hose

We use single use nitrile gloves to handle only the sewer hose when dumping. My concern is more from spills or leaks from the sewer hose and/or connection. We then dispose of the gloves and handle the fresh water hose and other utility connections without gloves. These gloves are available at Harbor Freight Tools and are a bargain for a pack of 100.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #56
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OburgOrange View Post
Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who install and uninstall the sewer hose with their bare hands. Ugh... I use disposable medical gloves at all times, then wash my hands from the elbows down with a disinfectant soap after I’m done.
Some folks are amazed at those who don't use gloves and those of us who don't, are just as amazed at those who do.

To each their own.

I have been camping for the better part of 50 years and never used gloves once while handling the sewer duty. I also don't wear gloves when I go to the bathroom or pick up my dogs crap with a shovel. I haven't contracted any serious infectious disease and I'm not dead.

What is "ugh" to you, is nothing to some of us.

Do you know whether the guy in the campsite before you, threw the sewer hose on the picnic table to dry before leaving?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #57

It’s your poop. What are you afraid of?
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #58

At least I have never seen anyone talking on their cell phone while dumping, but they will use a public stall as their own private phone booth. LOL in tests they have been rated some of the most germ laden devices.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Ate dirt, drank from garden hose, swam after eating, rode pedal bike for 10k miles...without a helmet, roller skated without knee pads, elbow pads or helmet. 57 years later....still here.
X2 and 72
hshaynes is offline   Reply
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #60

I was the Wastewater ( term for politically sensitive) Director of a community for a period of time before I retired. We ran 1 million gallons a day. I am also old enough (66) that I did all the things already posted (dirt, animals, spreading cow manure, bole riding with no helmet, mother’s car without seatbelts (but her strong right arm), plowing/harrowing the family garden moments after my uncle came thru with his spreader and put a (in his words) “load of s... on the garden”, also had to wash the dog after she rolled in the goo (never could break her of that habit). My employer required Hep shots and I still have the medical card in my wallet.
My group maintained (and at times I had to get directly involved) all the wastewater lines, grinder pumps, process equipment, test gear, etc. It is amazing how you fix a broken 20” pipe when the residents do not see the need to stop flushing. So many people figure once the toilet is flushed, its all gone. Not true.
A few points of interest: about a month before I started work there, one of the guys swam and dove in a lift station to get the broken pump out, I got sprayed (as in TitanMike’s picture) head to toe a few times when a temporary pump hose failed, I enjoyed taking “new” Board of Director electees to the plant where the slurry entered into the open trough for flow rate measurement (and sizing them up), natural skunk and sewer smell does not bother me. I also no longer like the appearance of vegetable soup for some reason. I do recognize the odor of Hydrogen Sulfide.
I too like to keep the liquid in the hose. Oh, and I worked at Nuclear Power Generation plants, too. Dressing out to keep contamination off my skin was a job requirement. One job we had to remove insulation (old enough to be asbestos) from the reactor head. The asbestos workers had never been to a nuke plant before. They were as petrified of the radiation and the nuke workers were of the asbestos.
Life is full of preferences and learning opportunities. Aging is tough, but, in my opinion, better than the alternative. Reminisce switch now “Off”.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply
Closed Thread