Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Phew! did I get lucky this weekend

I have been having issues with my Eco Boost with a check engine light problem. This past Wednesday I decided to take the trailer for a ride to see if the problem was solved this time. It was not. This past weekend we brought the trailer from the storage lot to clean it up and get it ready for the winter. My DW just had a total knee replacement this week and we knew there would be no more camping for this season.
I climbed up on the roof to scrub it and noticed the front vent cover could not be seen. I checked it out and only the plastic edge around the vent was there. The rest of the vent cover was gone with not even a piece to be found. It must have blown apart on the ride. I started off the roof and tapped on the rear vent lid and it fell apart into a hundred pieces. I had to drive 2.5 hours R/T to the dealer on Sat. to get two new vent covers because we were supposed to get rain on Sun evening. I check on the trailer regularly at the storage lot but do not get on the roof. I will from now on. This trailer is only 1.5 years old and I never thought the vent lids would deteriorate that quickly.
We have had over a foot of rain more than usual for the year in our area. I was lucky we were in a four day period without any rain. I'm also lucky I did not put off the job on the trailer for another weekend. I am bad for putting off things I don't want to do. I avoided a potential disaster with a missing vent cover. Sorry for the lengthy post but thought I would alert everyone to the possible problem you could face.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

I would recommend getting the vent covers that allow you vents to be open in the rain. Much stronger then the covers that come on these things.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

What he said. Also I think maxxair covers are warranted for 5 years

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

I had Maxxair covers installed before I left the lot when I bought my trailer. They are now 7 years old and still in like new condition. You can easily install them yourself over the existing vent covers, take only about 5 minutes. Make sure you put caulk down where the mounting screws go before screwing them down.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
I had Maxxair covers installed before I left the lot when I bought my trailer. They are now 7 years old and still in like new condition. You can easily install them yourself over the existing vent covers, take only about 5 minutes. Make sure you put caulk down where the mounting screws go before screwing them down.
Caution, Maxx air Covers require No caulk because the mounting hardware screws into the Vertical Flange NOT into the Roof! Yes the "Vent Lids " are very fragile after Mr Sun shines on them,thus the Need for"Maxxair Covers "! Youroo! !
Old 10-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
I avoided a potential disaster with a missing vent cover. Sorry for the lengthy post but thought I would alert everyone to the possible problem you could face.
You definitely got lucky! Glad everything is fixed and thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Yup!

Vent covers are a must, anywayz...never leave home without them!

Or you have the EZLift vents like mine (see first two photos below), the MaxxAir II covers won't fit them...

You can identify them by the 'T' handle instead of the turn knob, plus on the outside they have their own mounting tabs, which as far as I know there are no covers that fit these tabs!

Third shot, notice how when mounted to the brackets how it (MaxxAir II) closes off center.

I had MaxxAir II covers on my previous TT and saved them for my 5'ver, only to find that they don't fit, and MaxxAir doesn't plan on making any brackets so they will fit (called them several times in the last three years to see if they make them yet and the answer is always "No!").

I ended up getting the plain-old cheapie MaxxAir covers and they fit perfectly, although they don't have the same air flow as the MaxxAir II covers do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerVentLidInside-P1000092.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	189163   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerVentLid-P1000086.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	189164   Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxAirIIbracket-P1000344.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	189165   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxAirWhite-P6220993.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	189166   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxAirWhiteDone-P6220998.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	738.7 KB
ID:	189167  

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #8

Our, black, MaxAir vent fan cover on our 2016 2304KS Rockwood Mini Lite (purchased in 2015) still looks brand new. On the other hand, the black Fan-Tastic vent cover, that I purchased from C W, and installed in the front vent last year, looks ancient. It's sun bleached and cracked and, definitely NOT worth what ever meager saving the sales price point gave me.
I WILL be ordering and installing a MaxAir cover next season.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
Curiouser and Curiouser

I never worry about the life expectancy of vent covers. I always knock them off with low hanging branches well before they wear out!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Our, black, MaxAir vent fan cover on our 2016 2304KS Rockwood Mini Lite (purchased in 2015) still looks brand new. On the other hand, the black Fan-Tastic vent cover, that I purchased from C W, and installed in the front vent last year, looks ancient. It's sun bleached and cracked and, definitely NOT worth what ever meager saving the sales price point gave me.
I WILL be ordering and installing a MaxAir cover next season.
The regular MaxxAir vent covers don't have enough air flow for the Fantastic Fans...

I've been told by a couple of RV techs that the MaxxAir II cover will work and fit the Fantastic Fan's mount frame.

Wish I had kept one of my MaxAir II's as I have a Fantastic Fan in a box that is going in my 5'ver very soon.

By the by...

Skip the black covers and get the white ones...wish I did!

The black ones hold in so much heat that they really are not functional at all.

I went with the black ones for looks to match my AC cover and have already replaced one with a white cover.

The others are going to be replaced with white ones soon.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
code.org

Unbreakable Vent Covers

First thing I did was replace the cheap factory vent covers with the unbreakable ones and then put the Maxxair covers over them.

Not cheap, but sure nice not having to worry about them.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have one cover left uncovered. The Fantastic Fan in the Kitchen area. Dealer says for the rain sensor to work it has to be left uncovered. I am going to put a cover on anyways, better safe with this.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #13

I have a fan under a cover that has a rain sensor and it always closes when it rains.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #14

The "Max" covers ain't magic preventing sun damage to the ceiling vents.

I noticed last April that the vent lid in the main cabin of my 13 year old Roo turned to granola sometime in the past year even under one of those "Max" covers. This camper spent her first winter outdoors last winter under a cover and nothing got by the fabric cover or the vent cover. (Camper has spent the previous dozen winters in a barn so sun damage is from 7 months, not 12 per year.) I cringe when I read posts such as "Should I cover the trailer during the winter?"! Replacement lid from Forest River was the wrong part but a local RV dealer had several in stock -- tells ya something! Easy to replace despite several trips up and down the ladder for yet another tool.

While on the roof and finding the lid I had was not gonna fit I checked all the other covers and found the waste tank vent covers crumbing as well. Grabbed replacements for them when I got the new lid.

The Max cover remains secure and intact. Different plastic no doubt. Same for the refrigerator and bathroom fan cover.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
I never worry about the life expectancy of vent covers. I always knock them off with low hanging branches well before they wear out!
If you are dragging tree branches over the roof of your rig often enough to bust the vents, you are soon going to have bigger issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

X2!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #17

Maxxair covers all the way! Took me about 30 minutes each to mount two on my trailer.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing your words to the wise.

You don't say where you are, but living in sunny Colorado, I've watched the sun do amazing damage. The bag on my bag awning disintegrated. This was the first year...and I've managed to nurse it two more years, but today the bag looks like cheese cloth. I have an appointment with a boat-canvas repair shop to make another for about $150.

It sounds as if you are coping with some serious UV damage, and if your vent covers fell apart, you'd be wise to check everything else exposed to the sun. And if it's UV, definitely bag the tires or they will die an early death.

Also consider that some chemical contamination may have attacked your vent covers. My vent, even with the intense UV in CO, is still solid. If you store your camper (unwittingly) in the wake of a factory or other polluting facility, air pollution may be the culprit. Who knows what else might be happening to your rig if chemicals are involved?

I cover my camper once it's winterized until the beginning of the next season. The cover is too much of a pain in the ass to install and remove on a weekly basis during the season, but it offers a lot of protection 2/3 of the year. A cover might be a good option for your rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning-rip small.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	189185  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post

I lost one to an overhanging branch on a county road 2 years ago, was very lucky that the campground we were going to had a repair business on site and we were able to get it repaired. Had a MaxAir installed very soon after.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #20

If you must use the cheap vent covers, I've increased their life span in the southwest by coating them with spray on rubberized coating. Get it at home stores. Won't save the cover from a good branch hit though.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote