Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Photography advice...

We'll be camping in GSMNP next week and want to take a few photos of the solar eclipse. We have a 35mm digital camera but aren't sure about how to most effectively and safely capture the event. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

Go to a good photography site and search "how to photograph an eclipse. You could probably even add your make and model of camera. I like a site called dpreview.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

You will need several things.
1. Solar filter for your camera. These may be hard to find as many of the photo supply dealers are running out.
2. Solar eclipse glasses for your self. Be very careful as some of the vendors on ebay and amazon are selling glasses that are not certified to be used to look at the sun.
3, Tripod to hold camera steady

Do not point camera at sun without the solar filter on it. You will damage camera.
Do not look thru viewfinder without the filter on if view finder is thru lens. If not through the lens ( mirror) be sure to wear your solar glasses. If camera lens is small enough, you can get by with using one side of a pair of solar glasses taped over lens.

Use the max telephoto your camera can provide, set it on the tripod. use the lowest f-stop the camera will allow. Use the timer button or a remote so you don't move the camera.

Do not point camera or your eyes toward the sun without filter/glasses it will do permanent damage.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

You will want a solar filter if you are shooting at anything other than full totality. Might be able to find one now but probably not. Just an ND filter is not really the best choice but at least a 15 stop is what you will probably need. You will also need a pretty serious zoom to make it not show up as a little dot (like 400mm or more (600mm better) on a full frame).
A few youtube videos:

with a smart phone:

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #5

How about welding glass? In a pinch.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Problem with welding glass is that it does NOT filter out some of the bad radiation that the sun sends our way. If you could use live view (you said 35mm so I assume film?) then that is a no go. BUT if you have live view it COULD work but would not be good per say to use on your eyes. Our Lowes and Walmarts all have solar glasses so that might work for you.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
How about welding glass? In a pinch.
Requires a shade 14.....which most fixed shade lenses are not. I do have an auto dark helmet rated at 14 but I can't manually darken.

The solar filters that are left for a camera now cost an arm and a leg until this fiasco is over. I told my wife she better not even think about pointing hers at the sun, she has no filter, and I paid WAY too much for her to ruin the sensor.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Shooting into the sun is not really going to do much at normal focal lengths I do it all the time for landscapes but that is usually under 35mm.. I think they did a test online of a 70 to 200 into the sun for an hour and no issues.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB