Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Pick up our 1st TT on Saturday!!

The days have been dragging on waiting for this Saturday when we drive to Ft Worth to pick up our new TT. I'm not sure what to expect.. should the propane bottles be full when I pick it up? I would assume since I'm expecting to see everything work during the walk through. Should a 12v battery be included... on that question, is one required? if you have propane and "shore power" does the 12v serve a purpose? Surely no hoses are included... at this point I'm not even sure what all I need. It's kind of nerve racking to be spending this money on something that the only thing I know I can do correctly is pull it down the highway! Should the walk through be detailed enough to make me an instant pro... I'm a question asker, so I don"t intend to leave without all the info I can get... ut where does one learn all tese things?
sleblanc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Perfect questions before you go get rv. tanks should be full. The appliances run off 12 volt so you need a battery even when hooked to shore. You should have a battery included. There is many things to buy but do it as you go and take a breathe and enjoy the experience.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Team

yes, you need a battery to tow the trailer, because the emergency brake module is powered by the trailer's battery. it's illegal to tow without the battery.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Captain of Industry

I wouldn't sweat it if you feel like you missed something. That's what this forum is for. I was in the same boat at the beginning of December when we picked up our trailer and have asked a lot of questions since. You may ask a ton of questions during the walk-thru, but if you're like me you will have forgotten as soon as you leave. One big one for me was the water heater bypass and winterizing the whole unit. Between friends who have RVs and this forum it is a bit easier to go back and figure out what to do.

The downside, though, is everyone has an opinion about how something should be done (i.e. winterizing), so you have to apply some logic as to what makes sense.

I wish I would have gone over to Ft. Worth to get ours... we went all the way to Iowa!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

You should get a new battery and full bottles of propane. You should also get a sewer hose but it will be short and low quality, plan on buying a better and longer one. Not much fun finding the slinky a foot short after setting up! You will also need to buy water hose, be sure you get the white hose approved for drinking water use.
Take your time during the walkthrough and don't let them rush you. Try everything! Bring a light or radio and try every outlet. Bring a CD and try the sound system. Try every burner on the stove and the furnace. The refrigerator takes a while to cool down so have them start it the night before. Check every faucet and make sure the water heater works on electric and propane. Have them put some water in the tank and make sure the pump works. Bring a good flashlight and go over every water fitting you can find - this is a very important step! Leaks from water fittings are not uncommon and left unchecked can cause a lot of damage! Some will take a hose and run it over the windows while an observer checks for leaks inside. Crawl underneith and make sure everything is well secured and nothing seems amiss. Ask a lot of questions and write a lot of notes. If you find problems leave it and return and pay for it when the repairs are completed to your satisfaction. Before you drive away make sure your hitch is set up properly, most of these campers have torsion flex axels which do not equalize the weight between the axels so if you tow nose low or high you can overload one axel. Make sure they set up your weight distribution hitch and you understand how it works. Take the time to adjust your brake controller and understand how it operates before you hit the road. Most important - Have fun with it!
If you have any questions this is the place to ask. Unlike some other forums I think you will find the members here very patient and helpful. We will all be happy to help you!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

We're in a similar situation but a slightly different one. We're 'getting' our TT tomorrow but it's staying at their lot till april - then we do the walkthough. I'd much rather do it now before we take title and start making payment - you know, while we still have some leverage, but oh well, what can you do up north here? It's going to be 9 degrees F tomorrow and we got 6" of snow last night - it is what it is. I'll have to trust the dealer I suppose.

At the RV show all the dealers said the included a batt and full propane tanks. Ours includes some kit with the water hose, TP, blackwater tank chems and more - they said we could camp that night in it needing absolutley nothing but maybe towels and sheets.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Infractee

Which dealer did you buy from in Fort Worth?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Which dealer did you buy from in Fort Worth?

United RV in Fort Worth.
sleblanc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleblanc63 View Post
United RV in Fort Worth.

Congrats on the new camper! Hope you have good times and smooth trips!

We went to United several times when looking last year, almost bought a camper from them until we got some weird run around from them that was very off putting so I decided against (while I had my checkbook in my hand and ready to buy no less)
They do have a nice showroom and tons of parts and accessories.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Captain of Industry

So how did it go?? How is the new trailer?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
You should get a new battery and full bottles of propane. You should also get a sewer hose but it will be short and low quality, plan on buying a better and longer one. Not much fun finding the slinky a foot short after setting up! You will also need to buy water hose, be sure you get the white hose approved for drinking water use.
Take your time during the walkthrough and don't let them rush you. Try everything! Bring a light or radio and try every outlet. Bring a CD and try the sound system. Try every burner on the stove and the furnace. The refrigerator takes a while to cool down so have them start it the night before. Check every faucet and make sure the water heater works on electric and propane. Have them put some water in the tank and make sure the pump works. Bring a good flashlight and go over every water fitting you can find - this is a very important step! Leaks from water fittings are not uncommon and left unchecked can cause a lot of damage! Some will take a hose and run it over the windows while an observer checks for leaks inside. Crawl underneith and make sure everything is well secured and nothing seems amiss. Ask a lot of questions and write a lot of notes. If you find problems leave it and return and pay for it when the repairs are completed to your satisfaction. Before you drive away make sure your hitch is set up properly, most of these campers have torsion flex axels which do not equalize the weight between the axels so if you tow nose low or high you can overload one axel. Make sure they set up your weight distribution hitch and you understand how it works. Take the time to adjust your brake controller and understand how it operates before you hit the road. Most important - Have fun with it!
If you have any questions this is the place to ask. Unlike some other forums I think you will find the members here very patient and helpful. We will all be happy to help you!
Not all water heaters run off of both electric and propane!!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote