Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Picking up new camper on way to campground.

I know this is probably a bad idea but my wife and I are picking up our new Flagstaff 206 LTD this Friday literally on our way to the campground.

My only experience with camping is a lot of tenting and I owned a Scamp for a couple of years that I spent more time restoring than camping in and that was at least three years ago.

I know the basics from the Scamp (a few years ago) but never did anything with a pop-up, although the dealer is going to give me a two hour demo on the unit and hopefully it will be fresh in my mind three hours later at the campground.

Any tips for this first timer?
Steve A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

Heading to a campground is probably a GOOD idea. It's a chance to try out all the systems, and if there are any problems, you can drop it back by the dealership on your way back by. There usually are a few minor things that come up on a shakedown trip. Some dealerships actually send their customers to a nearby campground when they pick up campers. I know mine does. Some dealerships have their own campgrounds. So your plan is solid.

By the way, I once had a Casita, which is similar to the Scamp you had. Nice but too small for even the two of us. Have fun.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Congrats! Have a great first time out!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Congrats!! Have a great weekend! As said, its a good idea to camp that night. Keep a tablet handy to write down what you need.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #5

Congrats and welcome to the club! I have this exact pop up. It can be a lot of work setting it up sometimes but it is easy to figure out and its a great camper once popped up.

#1 TIP: When packing up camp before you close the dinette table move the table out of the way and stand in the dinnete area to put the 2 piece door up on the roof. The 2 piece door is a PIA and it is much easier to secure it with the clips if you are standing in the dinnette area.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Flagstaff 206 LTD. Have a great first weekend in it!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Always Learning

We did the exact same thing! Only we stopped at Walmart for some essentials on the way from the dealer to the campground. Camped for a week and then were off like gangbusters!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

Congrats on your new camper. I have found if you have any problems, people around you, or the camp hosts are more than glad to assist. Go and have fun. I would recommend a pencil and pad to keep a list of things needed (wanted) for the next trip.
forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Congratulations of the new camper! One suggestion and one only, HAVE FUN!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

We did the same thing. Like Captain Ron says "If anything is going to happen, its going to happen out there!" We had the added benifit of knowing we could call the place we purchased from if we had any issues. Made sure we tried everything out during our walk through. Had a great time at the end of it all. Adventure is what it is all about.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote