Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Picking up our new 16 Gray Wolf Saturday the 6th

Scheduled for our PDI at 1 oh clock Saturday, we are traveling 3 hours to AA Coach in Toledo. So excited we can hardly sleep. We have been reading and researching the threads to get a good idea as to what to expect. I made sure my salesperson knew I did not want to come all the way and not bring her home due to service issues and she assured me all will go well and I will be taking her home.
I have PDI checklist ready and will be sure to ask a lot of questions.
This will be our first TT and there is so much to learn.
John.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Make to to take notes also. Lots to learn and remember. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #3

Congrats on your new Gray Wolf. Take a video of stuff like hot water bypass procedure and other things that are hard to remember.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Picking up our new 16 Gray Wolf Saturday the 6th

Congratulations. Hope everything goes well. My walk through went well. But a couple things I forgot and some I was glad others advised me to do:
1. Test the electric for the hot water heater. I did not and the next day I remembered and it did not work. The had forgot to plug it in. Easy fix
2. Walk the roof. I did and found 2 spots with small holes that happened when the mounted my fan covers. Pointed them out and they fixed with some Dicor.
3. Test the surround sound. We did not and it was not hooked up right. Had to get on forum for help to figure it out.
4. Learn how to work slides without power. I did not and took a while when battery died unexpectedly as we were about to leave. Had to find all the parts and read the manual.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

I will be installing the WDH myself when I get there. Question, it say to mount brackets 30" back from the coupler on the frame. Will I have any issues with the propane tanks being in the way? Any modifications need to consider?
Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
I will be installing the WDH myself when I get there. Question, it say to mount brackets 30" back from the coupler on the frame. Will I have any issues with the propane tanks being in the way? Any modifications need to consider?
Thanks.
No problem with mine, you didn't state which model trailer or hitch.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Congrats! Your PDI should include things that you might not think about. Make sure the RV is connected to Power and Water. Make sure the Freshwater tank is EMPTY and the trailer is connected to City Water. When you turn on the City Water, open the Low Point drain (under the TT) and see if water starts to come out. This will be a sign that the Water Pump is not properly blocking the Backflow of water in the freshwater tank when connected to City Water. A VERY common problem. Sometimes it's as simple as putting about 1/3 of a tank of water into the freshwater tank and running the water pump to clear out any debris. After running the pump and opening the faucets for a few minutes, repeat the first test by draining the low point valve until the fresh water tank is empty and then connecting to City Water again and seeing if water comes out of the low point. Sometimes it requires replacing the water pump (which the dealer should have on hand). You REALLY need to add this to your list! BOTH of our Brand New Forest River RVs (first was a 2016 Vibe 308BHS and second is our new Coachmen 360IBL Fifth Wheel) have this problem. Both required the water pump to be replaced.

Also, check BOTH the AC and Furnace. Run them both for about 10 minutes each. First, you are checking to see if they work properly. Second, you want to make sure there isn't anything creating a blockage in the ducting.

Next, look at all the trim pieces around cabinets. Often times the cabinet installers do some very rapid fire nailing and miss fire all sorts of nails. ALSO, do a Pull test on ceiling trim to make sure it is secured properly. This is an area that will really bug you when trim starts to fall off.

Also, unscrew both the Kitchen and Bathroom faucet strainers (the part that the water comes out of) and check for debris. It is very common that plastic shavings will accumulate and block water flow.

You should go on Amazon and buy a 10pack of Soft White LED bulbs IF your trailer doesn't already have them. Amazon search for: GRV t10 921 SMD Bulb Lamp High Bright Warm White DC 12V pack of 10 (yeah I know it's long, so copy and paste)
If you have incandescent bulbs, they product a TON of heat (so hot you can't touch the light fixtures after about 10 minutes). They completely counter the efficiency of your AC unit. Replacing them with LED bulbs will dramatically improve the ability for your AC to cool your unit when hot outside.

Get a good TPMS system for your trailer tires. Though the tires they are putting on a slightly better than they use to be, you will probably end up with 225/75/15 Constancy D rated radials. If you have a fast leak, it could cause some MAJOR damage to the trailer while driving.

A good TPMS system (EEztire on Amazon) will run you a few hundred dollars but will save you thousands if a blowout occurs.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks.
Just make sure that the Bars, when sitting on the trailer L brackets, sit has Parallel as possible to the trailer frame. Which hitch are you getting? If the dealer sold you the hitch, I guarantee you paid about $300 too much for it. If it's a Fastway E2 or Husky Sway Control/WDH it should have cost you under $300 total. If it's a Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch, it should have cost you around $550-600 total.

Not worth adding a lower cost (Fastway or Husky) hitch to financing if you are going to end up replacing it with a higher end hitch after a few months (which you are likely to do).......I made that mistake.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
I made sure my salesperson knew I did not want to come all the way and not bring her home due to service issues and she assured me all will go well and I will be taking her home.
I have PDI checklist ready and will be sure to ask a lot of questions.
This will be our first TT and there is so much to learn.
John.
Let me assure you that yours sales person, no matter how nice and informative she was before the sale, doesn't really care about the condition of the unit. Her job is to turn units and let service deal with the issues. She probably will do a 2 minute walk through before you get there to make sure there isn't saw dust all over the place, and to turn on the lights and get it ready for viewing. More that likely she will even coverup a few issues because she doesn't want you to see them and expect them to get fixed right away....thus delaying the deal. Don't let them pull the whole "if you have any problems, we'll take care of it for you" line. That simply means a 3 hour trip back to the dealership and dropping it off for a week so they can fix something that shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

You are FAR likelier to get a problem resolved BEFORE signing the paperwork than after (so as to not prevent the deal from happening).

Have them fix as many problems as possible DURING the PDI as that is the best time to get things done. Take pictures of ANYTHING that is questionable and DO NOT sign the release form (the IOU paper the dealership is required to have you sign) UNTIL you are completed the entire PDI. They will pressure to you sign a blank form...yeah, don't fall for it. Otherwise they are under no obligation to complete any work.