Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Pirateland Myrtle Beach

Just made reservations to take the family to Pirateland in Myrtle Beach this summer. We will be traveling from Maryland. It's about an 8 hour trip. The kids are excited. It looks like a nice place. Has anyone ever been? Anything we should know / lookout for?
Garrett
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2014 Cherokee 274dbh
jcramer165x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

Pirateland is adjacent to Myrtle Beach Resorts to the North and Ocean Lakes campground is adjacent to MBR on the South. The area is quite busy during the summer months so the beaches can be crowded. Plan to get to the beach early, but don't bring your eze up, Horry County has an ordinance against them on the beach. Either rent an umbrella or bring your own. Another tip, rent a golf cart if you aren't bringing your own, or at least take bikes. Lots of walking will be done during the week. My Son and his family stayed at Pirateland last summer and said it is a much quieter campground than Ocean Lakes, but don't worry, there will be plenty of people there and plenty to do and the kids will absolutely love it.
Also, in the evenings, you can walk down the beach and go to the cabana bar they have at Myrtle Beach Resorts. Again, get there early, it gets busy in the evenings. They usually have a band and dancing. It isn't too rowdy since there are a lot of families there. We've always done that when we stayed at MBR or OL.
Now, when you get ready to go out to dinner, you can go North to Barefoot landing (really crowded) or to South to Murrell's Inlet (much less crowded) There is a Restaurant row on the Inlet. That's where we always go, plenty of variety, lots of live entertainment.
Caution about driving into the area on Saturday, if that's your check in time, it is unbelievably crowded going in, plan on being stuck in traffic or getting in later (past 6pm)
All in all, I think you'll have a great time and your kids will have a ball.
(no, I don't work there, lol)
Good Luck.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Pirateland is adjacent to Myrtle Beach Resorts to the North and Ocean Lakes campground is adjacent to MBR on the South. The area is quite busy during the summer months so the beaches can be crowded. Plan to get to the beach early, but don't bring your eze up, Horry County has an ordinance against them on the beach. Either rent an umbrella or bring your own. Another tip, rent a golf cart if you aren't bringing your own, or at least take bikes. Lots of walking will be done during the week. My Son and his family stayed at Pirateland last summer and said it is a much quieter campground than Ocean Lakes, but don't worry, there will be plenty of people there and plenty to do and the kids will absolutely love it.
Also, in the evenings, you can walk down the beach and go to the cabana bar they have at Myrtle Beach Resorts. Again, get there early, it gets busy in the evenings. They usually have a band and dancing. It isn't too rowdy since there are a lot of families there. We've always done that when we stayed at MBR or OL.
Now, when you get ready to go out to dinner, you can go North to Barefoot landing (really crowded) or to South to Murrell's Inlet (much less crowded) There is a Restaurant row on the Inlet. That's where we always go, plenty of variety, lots of live entertainment.
Caution about driving into the area on Saturday, if that's your check in time, it is unbelievably crowded going in, plan on being stuck in traffic or getting in later (past 6pm)
All in all, I think you'll have a great time and your kids will have a ball.
(no, I don't work there, lol)
Good Luck.
Lots of good information here. Thanks!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

I forgot to mention, if you want to go deep sea fishing, Murrell's Inlet is the place. It used to be called Capt. Dick's Marina, but I think it's now Twisted Sister (or something like that) The have full and half day trips. They also rent pontoons, boats and jet skis, or bring your own, rent a slip for the week. The inlet is a great place to play & fish.
We stayed just across the inlet from the Marina on S. Waccamaw Dr. in a place called Inlet Pointe. It's still one of the best bargains in the area at about 1k/wk for a 2BR condo. It has a dock and pier and last summer we caught a huge amount of flounder off the pier, man that was fun. Best time is if you can catch the tide coming in around sunrise, fishing the oyster/sand bars, use mud minnows.
There's also a big flea market on 17 south on the right before you turn off to go to Murrell's Inlet. All of this is about 5 miles south of you.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

As has been mentioned lots to see & do in Myrtle Beach. Check Horry County's beach rules as they changed last year. As has been mentioned only round umbrellas and they have to be under a certain size. As with everything people were getting carried away with tent type shelters so they were banned along with almost everything else.

Lots of Putt Putts, Murrell's Inlet has many good seafood restaurants. Broadway at The Beach is great for kids with Ripley's Aquarium & depending on the kids ages some of rides were moved there when the Pavilion closed, fireworks many nights of the week around 10PM, Jimmy Buffets, Hard Rock Cafe, and much more.

Pirateland is fine just don't expect a lot of Pirates, The campground was named years ago when the was a Pirate themed amusement park next door. It will be crowded in the general area Lakewood Campground is next door, then Myrtle Beach Resort then Ocean Lakes so lots of people in the area. There is a smaller neighborhood Walmart across 17 so supplies are not far. We will be at Ocean Lakes in July for Mustang week. again Halloween week, and Thanksgiving Week. We have been going since the boys were in school in the 1990s & still going with them & they are nearly 30.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Beware of the 'Golf cart parades' up and down the paved road near the dunes on w\e nights. If you want some solitude, camp closer to the river in the grassy area. we found the golf carts cute....for the first 1/2 hour then annoying as hell until quiet time.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramer165x View Post
Just made reservations to take the family to Pirateland in Myrtle Beach this summer. We will be traveling from Maryland. It's about an 8 hour trip. The kids are excited. It looks like a nice place. Has anyone ever been? Anything we should know / lookout for?
I'm from Harford County, MD and it took us about 10 hours to get there, going down 95. That included a stop for lunch at Cracker Barrel.
We stayed in Pirateland this past summer and loved it, site #227. It backs up to a lake. The above posts lay out almost everything. It's a great place and very laid back. Pirate land has concrete pads and a lot of sites have pavilions over the picnic tables, which is great when it rains. The pools are clean and the lazy river is a good time.
We stayed in Ocean Lakes 2 years ago and loved that too. We're undecided on which CG we like better as they both have pros and cons.
The umbrellas have to be behind the Life Guard's chair or you will get a citation. I don't know how much it is, but I saw a couple get one because they argued with the Life Guard. We also saw someone get a fine for catching a shark on the beach. I guess they didn't let it go fast enough, took too many pictures before releasing it.
Definitely get a golf cart and ask for one with all 6 batteries. They started removing 1 battery in the beginning of the year to save money. They're a lot slower. There are no fire rings, but I saw some people take their fire pits from home and had fires without a problem.
I'm sure you'll have a good time.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Sea Captain's House is a great restaurant in Myrtle Beach proper.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Sea Captain's House is a great restaurant in Myrtle Beach proper.
X2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #10

We like ocean lakes the best. We rode through Lakewood and pirateland they seemed to be a bit older. The one strictly forbids alcohol.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dually View Post
We like ocean lakes the best. We rode through Lakewood and pirateland they seemed to be a bit older. The one strictly forbids alcohol.
Ocean Lakes is much newer and I really like it more than my wife. She likes the pavilions, the lakes and the lazy river at Pirateland. I liked the laundry service at Ocean Lakes. A couple years ago we were leaving Ocean Lakes and stopping for a couple days in North Carolina on the way home and we needed to do laundry. We hit the service at OL and they delivered our laundry clean, folded and wrapped to our site the night before we were leaving and it was cheap. I also liked the RV dealer/shop at Ocean Lakes. I realized my then TT had a broken tail light, so I jumped in the golf cart and rode to the shop, looked around and left with a new lens. All without starting the truck. Another note, Ocean Lakes has the express check-in where PirateLand does not.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dually View Post
That would be Lakewood. Quickly scratched them off my list.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #13

pirateland

Thanks for the responses. We are excited to check it out. This will be the furthest we have traveled with the camper.
Garrett
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2014 Cherokee 274dbh
jcramer165x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Myrtle Beach Travel Park is a nice big full service campground on the if you're interested in other options
We like it better than the others mentioned

Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #15

On the ocean.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #16

We have camped at Ocean Lakes, Myrtle Beach Travel Park as well as PirateLand. My children prefer going to PirateLand. Take bicycles or rent a golf cart ($$$$) It is a large campground. I <3 the Lazy River there. The pool area was remodeled last year adding a splash park for small children.
Traffic can be heavy making the left off of 544 (I think that is the road number) onto US17 Business
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We were last at pirateland in 2011. We stayed at an inland site because we had wanted a little shade. Be careful in these sites as they are very tight. We had a 30' tt at the time and barely fit in the site (rear bumper of tt as far back as possible, front tip of hitch less than a foot off the road. Had there been a rig directly across from us when parking and leaving we would have had a lot of trouble. The beach area sites are much nicer. To be fair I was warned that I would probably like the other sites better. The nice thing about the inland sites was it was a short walk to the beach and a short walk to the pool/gameroom areas. We didn't need a golf cart with these sites.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #18

Cancel your reservations and go to Lakewood next to Pirateland. Lots more to do and the kids will love it.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #19

We were there last summer, the week after 4th of July. It was busy, but not crowded for what is considered a destination area. Pireatand was perfect we had an ocean front site that was a nice size! The beaches were perfect and not overly crowded. Yes get a golf cart and bring some stuff to decorate it for the nightly golf cart parade. The nice thing about PL is all golf cart traffic stops at 11, you cannot drive a golf cart after 11. So all you here is the waves from the ocean.

Plenty to do at PL. The pool area is great, arcade and mini golf are nice too.

Enjoy your trip!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #20

Did they require 7 days min stay??
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote