Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

please help beginner

Hello everyone i am glad i have found this site. i am about to buy my first camper and dont really know what i should be inspecting when looking at used campers i found a 2006 flagstaff m-829BHSS for 10500 its seems to me and nice shape. So is that a fair market vaule? any comments on this camper would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
Hello everyone i am glad i have found this site. i am about to buy my first camper and dont really know what i should be inspecting when looking at used campers i found a 2006 flagstaff m-829BHSS for 10500 its seems to me and nice shape. So is that a fair market vaule? any comments on this camper would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I just traded my 832bhss 2006 for 10,000

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Thanks , how did you like that trailer, is there any problem areas i should be looking for. sorry i really have no clue when it comes to campers and what to look for
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, first of all!

You can do a search for "PDI" for help on what to look for on any camper. In general, plan an hour or two to inspect everything. Start with the outside walls for delamination. Inspect the floor and interior walls for soft spots or discoloration that might be the residuals from past leaks. Climb up on the roof and check all seams and the caulk and look for any damage. Next, work EVERY system - water and waste, power, cooling and heating, slides, and every appliance. Use both A/C and D/C. That's just the basics and there are others with your trailer that can help with more details.

Have a good one!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

I'm no expert, but look for water leaks, soft spots in the roof, soft spots in the floor, check the condition of the undercarriage, and general condition. If your not sure of your expertise, try to bring a friend who knows, something like bringing a mechanic to check out a used car after all it will be a a big investment. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

thanks , those are the kind of things i was wondering about , can you walk on the roof? i did find someone that has owned campers to come check it out with me. Do you guys know if that price seems fair . like i said i really have know clue about if they hold there value
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
thanks , those are the kind of things i was wondering about , can you walk on the roof? i did find someone that has owned campers to come check it out with me. Do you guys know if that price seems fair . like i said i really have know clue about if they hold there value
You can walk on the roof. Just don't do a jig up there

As for value, I think that is area specific, but Turbo gave you something to use in comparison.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks , how did you like that trailer, is there any problem areas i should be looking for. sorry i really have no clue when it comes to campers and what to look for
We loved it but wanted a 5th wheel.
We had very few issues.
My dw misses it.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Just Love to Camp

Call your local bank to get a idea for pricing Loan \ Retail.

Check for water leaks make them plug it up to the city water and run the water
Rotten or soft floors
Awining damage
leaks under sink and toilet
around the tires for damage from blow out
Black and Gray tanks for leaks
Water pump works. This is the pump that will give you water from the white fresh water tank without the city water hooked up
Slides dragging

That AC works
Fridge Works
Hot Water Heater works

Climb on the roof and make sure it is in good shape

This is off the top of my head. If you have a friend or know someone who camps have them go take a look with you. People who camp are most the time aware of ALL the things that get worn out and damaged from not being taken care of.

Please don''t let this list make you think twice of joining the camping family. It is a ton of fun with lots of great memories!!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Rent it for a week-end. That will give you a chance to check it out. If it doesn't rain, make sure you hose it down real good, or wait and inspect it again right after a hard rain. If you can't tow it yet, make them take it to a local campground, pay them for that also of course. If they want to sell it, and feel it is in good shape, it can be worked out.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote