Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Please - Opinions needed

Thinking about a metal sided Travel Trailer. Selling a fiberglass sided unit. I live in the deep south where the humidity gets rough in the summer

I would like to hear from experienced owners of both. I don't want to run the a/c continuously to keep cool. R values of the Tin sided are the same as most foam block insulated walls (R-7) Are they both about the same as far as air tightness, leaking humidity in, etc? TIA

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
MI Camperz

Well, I'll first say I am no expert..no how. I prefer the aluminum sided type b/c they are less expensive to repair should water damage occur. You can repair a section...whereas in a laminated type, de-lamination requires sometimes replacing entire walls and is very expensive. That's my understanding. I would be crushed to have to suffer delamination, as expensive as they are to begin with. Insurance doesn't pay b/c keeping water out of these fabulously built RVs is the owner's responsibility and requires constant vigilance.
I have owned both...but under different conditions, so I can't draw a direct comparison.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
o

Have owned botth. Bought a 2013 metal sided. Eaiser to clean...easier to repair....no seperation bubbles.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
Thinking about a metal sided Travel Trailer. Selling a fiberglass sided unit. I live in the deep south where the humidity gets rough in the summer

I would like to hear from experienced owners of both. I don't want to run the a/c continuously to keep cool. R values of the Tin sided are the same as most foam block insulated walls (R-7) Are they both about the same as far as air tightness, leaking humidity in, etc? TIA
Interesting question. Usually its weight vs cost, or dents vs delamination when comparing aluminum to fiberglass. I'm not sure there is a single answer to your question as far as staying cool. R value is R value and 2 units with the same R value should have a very similar resistance heating up, IF they are both sealed equally.

With the laminated fiberglass, seems that it would be sealed up pretty well. With the aluminum sided units there are several construction methods with different frame types (wood or aluminum) and different insulation materials so one brand may be quite different than another. If it is sealed at all the seams, it seems (no pun intended) you would get similar results to a laminated trailer.

The windows - size, coating, frame construction, etc would probably be a bigger variable than the type of siding. And color - white vs dark exterior would also be a factor.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

OP here. The reason I am posting is because (in the past) I slept in a older Class A with metal siding. When the A/C shut off, I could feel the humidity seeping right back in. It was bad!. I don't want to buy something that does that. My Fiberglass TT does not. It has a solid wall, ceiling, etc. I was just wondering if ALL metal sided Campers are like this.

I refer to it as metal siding because it is NOT Aluminum, ( as most dealers will tell you it is) it is TIN that they are using on metal sided Campers.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
OP here. The reason I am posting is because (in the past) I slept in a older Class A with metal siding. When the A/C shut off, I could feel the humidity seeping right back in. It was bad!. I don't want to buy something that does that. My Fiberglass TT does not. It has a solid wall, ceiling, etc. I was just wondering if ALL metal sided Campers are like this.

I refer to it as metal siding because it is NOT Aluminum, ( as most dealers will tell you it is) it is TIN that they are using on metal sided Campers.

Not sure about the tin-aluminum thing. I was looking at some literature from both Dutchmen and Keystone and they refer to it as aluminum. Either way, my parents had a metal sided motorhome for 18 years and it seemed to be pretty well insulated and sealed. I think either is OK if the RV is well built and tightly sealed. A lot of the metal sided trailers we looked at this spring seemed to be pretty high quality.

I'm a big fan of fiberglass siding, but just my opinion, and we don't camp the extreme heat/humidty you do. I lived in SE Arkansas for a few years and the folks used to bring the motorhome down. Always stayed pretty cool. I'll take the snowy winter over the hot humid summers. Never could get used to that - and couldn't figure out what to do with myu snowmobile while I was down there either.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Where you live, how could you expect to be cool and not have the AC running all of the time? I live in ES Texas, not much different then you weather wise and I have two ACs for a 32 foot 5er and in the late spring, summer and most of the fall they run.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Where you live, how could you expect to be cool and not have the AC running all of the time? I live in ES Texas, not much different then you weather wise and I have two ACs for a 32 foot 5er and in the late spring, summer and most of the fall they run.
Just curious, what kind of siding do you have? My fiberglass unit keeps very cool during hot and humid temps. Yes, it runs a lot, but it does manage to cycle on and off for awhile. I can save a bundle by buying metal sided RV, but will I lose the ability to keep it cool